It's all about the LINEBACKERS - Barnett targeted all game

BobChalmers

If you have a way - go back and watch the 2nd Pats* TD drive when they went up 17-3 on a Ridley run.

Nick Barnett was targeted EVERY SINGLE PLAY. If the Pats* came out and admitted that "find Barnett" was Brady's read on that drive, I would not be surprised.

He was attempting (and failing) to cover different receivers each time, and he was lined up at the point of attack on the long scoring run play - where he completely failed to disengage from his block. They may have been in zone on the passes, but wherever he was, Brady went after him every time.

Compare the Bills' LB corps to any we have seen this year - is there one even close to as bad? as unathletic as what the Bills put out there? .

Barnett is clearly washed-up and if Sheppard can't get any of his playing time, then I think it's fair to call him a bust.

I know we all wish we had better than Fitz at QB, but these LB's are so painful to watch that if they had to make a choice, I'd rather they focused on that in the draft. Seriously, they need to draft 5 of them next year just to make sure they find at least a couple who can actually play in the NFL.

Edited by BobChalmers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have an exploitably weak group at linebacker, which is going to take atleast one more off-season to address. Fortunately, Wannstedt did a much better job of mixing personel packages and schemes than he did the last time out, and was able to disguise that particular weakness much better than in our last meeting with New England. I was horrified when I heard Brady make his "43 is the Mike" check-out, predictably followed by Ridley gashing us up the middle for 14 yards on a multi-read trap dive, during the Patriots first offensive series. I was equally relieved when I didn't hear it again for the rest of the game.

If you have a way - go back and watch the 2nd Pats* TD drive when they went up 17-3 on a Ridley run.

Kevin Barnett was targeted EVERY SINGLE PLAY. If the Pats* came out and admitted that "find Barnett" was Brady's read on that drive, I would not be surprised.

He was attempting (and failing) to cover different receivers each time, and he was lined up at the point of attack on the long scoring run play - where he completely failed to disengage from his block. They may have been in zone on the passes, but wherever he was, Brady went after him every time.

Compare the Bills' LB corps to any we have seen this year - is there one even close to as bad? as unathletic as what the Bills put out there? .

Barnett is clearly washed-up and if Sheppard can't get any of his playing time, then I think it's fair to call him a bust.

I know we all wish we had better than Fitz at QB, but these LB's are so painful to watch that if they had to make a choice, I'd rather they focused on that in the draft. Seriously, they need to draft 5 of them next year just to make sure they find at least a couple who can actually play in the NFL.

I am sure this will be addressed in FA and the draft. Relax. This is a not an attacking defensive style that we play. Your issue is with the scheme not the players.

Also, who is this "Kevin Barnett" character?

If he was any better, we'd remember his name.

I am sure this will be addressed in FA and the draft. Relax. This is a not an attacking defensive style that we play. Your issue is with the scheme not the players.

That's almost comical. You have no physical, athletic LBs. The scheme sucks, but I don't see these guys winning any battles out there.

jon beason is going to get released from the panthers as kuechly took his job and he's still healing up from the achilles injury. Only 27 and should be back to full strength next year. Could be a risk/reward type deal.

Haven't we learned from our last Achilles injury?

Who is this Kevin Barnett

Kevin Barnett was targeted EVERY SINGLE PLAY. If the Pats* came out and admitted that "find Barnett" was Brady's read on that drive, I would not be surprised.

Except "Kevin" Nick Barnett plays WLB and Sheppard plays MLB. Sooooooooo Sheppard isn't ever going to "get" any of his playing time.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I'm not sure, but I hear Nick Barnett is available, maybe he could be an upgrade?

Haha - sorry - wrote that too early and too angry - Nick Barnett of course!

Except Nick Barnett plays WLB and Sheppard plays MLB. Sooooooooo Sheppard isn't ever going to "get" any of his playing time.

My point is more about when they are in any passing situation, Sheppard (and I guess it's Bradham these days) comes out. Barnett and Scott are playing all the passing downs - that's all I was getting at.

Barnett in there looks like it makes us weak against the run and the pass.

No my issue is that Barnett can't cover a WR even for a couple of seconds, nor can he cover a TE or RB, nor can he take on a block on a running down.

I am sure this will be addressed next year - it's just a pity the whole defense is being faulted with what looks like more of just a glaring weakness in one unit.

I thought he played well enough last year, but keep in mind the Packers let him go w/o an offer, right? I think they could tell he was close to hitting the wall.

He gets stats this year, but an awful lot of his tackles seem like they are on the guy he is assigned to in pass coverage - not exactly a positive stat.

Seriously - go back and look at that second Pats* TD drive - it's incredible - EVERY play is at Barnett.

Edited by BobChalmers

I would just like one person from the media to ask the question, "Is Kirk Morrison really so bad that he is inactive every week?" Seriously, the guy had a pretty decent career up to the time he was picked up by Buffalo, and he's been on the shelf ever since. Given how God awful our LBs are, is he really worse than what we're putting out there?

I feel bad for the guy, his career is going down the drain sitting on this Bills roster. I just want to know if he's really that bad, or if he just slept with somebody's wife.

Wawrow, can you toss us a bone here?

We have an exploitably weak group at linebacker, which is going to take atleast one more off-season to address. Fortunately, Wannstedt did a much better job of mixing personel packages and schemes than he did the last time out, and was able to disguise that particular weakness much better than in our last meeting with New England. I was horrified when I heard Brady make his "43 is the Mike" check-out, predictably followed by Ridley gashing us up the middle for 14 yards on a multi-read trap dive, during the Patriots first offensive series. I was equally relieved when I didn't hear it again for the rest of the game.

When Brady was yelling "43 is the Mike" during that first game, I too was horrified. Seemed lihe he was pinpointing Scott, and then audibling to a play run right at him.

But maybe we're reading too much into it. I saw parts of others Patriots game, when Brady similarly yelled out who the Mike was. Then I saw a Falcons game when I could hear Ryan do the same thing.

Identifying the Mike must have something to do with the protection or play options, as opposed to exposing a weakness in our defense.