A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Dude--- Doug Martin is at least 15 lbs heavier than CJ, and he's "all muscle".

I don't disagree that Spiller can and should be utilized more, but let's not pretend there aren't durability concerns with a back built like him.

thats why he is the Muscle Hamster...and he def has 15 pounds of straight muscle on CJ

Im just adding more evidence that not every RB has to be 6 foot 220 pounds to be elite....but yes, I realize CJ could have some durability concerns....that doesnt mean he WILL be an injury risk and certainly doesnt mean he cant carry this team

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your agenda? Do you think that Spiller will ever carry this team? How about other, better rbs such as Adrian Peterson? Those days are gone.

I have praised Spiller more often than not this season. He is playing well. But he will never carry this football team. If you disagree, please enlighten us.

Never mind.....I am thinking that you have oh so little to add.

Who will then, Bill?

He is clearly, far and away, without a doubt, the best football player on the Buffalo Bills roster. There is no disputing this fact, is there?

Why, in your opinion, will he never carry this this team?

Who will then, Bill?

He is clearly, far and away, without a doubt, the best football player on the Buffalo Bills roster. There is no disputing this fact, is there?

duh, cant you READ? : )

he cant carry the team because "hes too small" and "no one other than a QB can carry a team in todays NFL" - his words, not mine...

Dude--- Doug Martin is at least 15 lbs heavier than CJ, and he's "all muscle".

I don't disagree that Spiller can and should be utilized more, but let's not pretend there aren't durability concerns with a back built like him.

Isn't durability a concern with any RB?

Who will then, Bill?

Couldnt agree more....Spiller is the BEST player on this Bills roster. He needs the ball 20-25 times per game. What a waste he is backing up Fred Jackson.

duh, cant you READ? : )

he cant carry the team because "hes too small" and "no one other than a QB can carry a team in todays NFL" - his words, not mine...

I hear ya. This mentality is mind numbing.

Hey, since it's a passing league, why not throw 23 passes vs 3 rushes in the second half while only down by one? After all, it's a passing league and our best player will never carry this team!

:wallbash:

Edited by Thurmal34

I agree with this post, with the qualifier that I'm not sure that any single player, exceptional QBs included, can carry a team.

Andrew Luck is a rookie qb. But he is an elite qb prospect that one finds once in a generation. Look at what he has accomplished this year with a rebuilding roster and then compare last year's Colts team with this years. He is the main reason that this team is uplifted.

Kurt Warner, the retired qb of the Cardinals, had a dramatic affect on the team when he played. They were a SB team when he played; when he retired the team became very mediocre. Ben Roethlisberger is an exceptional qb who is the main reason (not the sole reason) why the Steelers have been an upper echelon team during his starting reign.

Couldnt agree more....Spiller is the BEST player on this Bills roster. He needs the ball 20-25 times per game. What a waste he is backing up Fred Jackson.

The fatal flaw in Bill's crusade against Spiller is, to your point, we have the PERFECT backup for him. Bill claims Spiller cant handle the load at his size.Fine, if that's his big sticking point, then Fred Jacson says hello..I mean dont we have the perfect guy to spell Spiller?

Andrew Luck is a rookie qb. But he is an elite qb prospect that one finds once in a generation. Look at what he has accomplished this year with a rebuilding roster and then compare last year's Colts team with this years. He is the main reason that this team is uplifted.

Kurt Warner, the retired qb of the Cardinals, had a dramatic affect on the team when he played. They were a SB team when he played; when he retired the team became very mediocre. Ben Roethlisberger is an exceptional qb who is the main reason (not the sole reason) why the Steelers have been an upper echelon team during his starting reign.

We dont have that player at QB. However, we do at RB. In fact, I would argue that Spiller is one of, if not the best players (yes I said players not just backs) in football and should be given the chance to affect the outcome of a game in the same way the above mentioned players are. At the very worst, he should be given more chances to affect the outcome than Ryan Fitzpatrick is given.

Edited by Thurmal34

I don't disagree Luck and Warner improved their teams considerably, but I think that Arizona kind of caught lightning in a bottle that post-season. They limped into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. Luck looks to be an elite QB, but it's too early to tell, IMO.

The Steelers are 4-1 with Batch and Dennis Dixon starting over the past few seasons. Roethlisberger is great, but he has a good supporting cast. It also helps that they're well coached.

Wow, a lot of delusional people here. We have two backs that are very good and we need to be thankful for that, but more importantly, at this point, neither of them can carry the entire load. The way I see it is our starting running back is CJ Jackson/Fred Spiller. Our backup RB is Tashard Choice.

CJ is a homerun threat every play he touches the ball, but that sounds better then it is. Every time you hit for the homerun you strike out just as much. For every run he busts for a large gain he can just as easily be lost in traffic to lose 5 yards or just gain 1 by falling forward. That is why Fred Jackson is on our roster and is the perfect tempo change up, a rock solid RB who puts the ball consistently 3-4 yards down field and comes out of the backfield in many plays.

If I had to have a RB around my team I would want Jackson. If I had to get an RB to build a team around it would be CJ, and a lot of that is his youth. However, we have a road grading OL, a smart QB, and a scheme that makes it beneficial to use a RB like Fred more then CJ. Fred is more well rounded and if we were a more committed running team like Minnesota or Tennessee I would be fine using CJ as our primary runner, but he'd need to rest, too.

I am just happy we have both of them and Choice, too.

Question for those who watched:

Did Shephard have a decent game? Good? What? It sounded on radio like he played pretty well today?

Edited by jboyst62

To the OP..

C.J. is the best player on the team. In fact this is why they drafted him, he can take it to the house on any play. They knew he had this much talent.

Time to give him the rock full time kid is explosive. If he gets hurt Fred and Choice are good players ...but you have to get him the ball I mean 20 times on the ground 5 or 6 times in the air.

What kills me is Chan wont make make the most out of what he has. I would have CJ and Fred on the field on 70 percent of the time. Chan's playcallin is very old school. Screens were made to work every now and then. But its a regular play in our offence every game. Teams are gonna take it away because we run it way to much.

Which brings me to Fitz, dude just cant throw deep. All his passes are short. Its way to easy to defend. We get TJ Graham and near send him deep???? if fitz cant make all the throws why is he our QB?

At this point I am willing to see what T. Jackson can do. I didnt watch todays game but its the same thing everytime we play somebody good we lose.

It not gonna change with Chan . If we lose next week it will be 4 games in a row. Miami is better than us because they got a QB. So it might be 5 in a row.

We seem to need a coaching change because our OC doesnt use his best player enough and seems to be loving Fitzcantthrowlong to much.

When the defense needed to be aggressive they backed off. When the offense needed to be aggressive and throw down field Fitz' arm can't get it there. If you can't or won't throw 20 yards downfield the 0 and 2 yard passes will no longer work. Gailey's play calling is pathetic and Wanny's defense is god-awful.

I have never seen 4 defense lineman get in their stances and not move until the ball is snapped. You are not going to fool anyone when you are so vanilla. High school coaches do better game planning than this defense.

When Gailey got the ball to start the second half he called three straight pass plays, all incomplete. The game was lost then and there. YOU CANNOT PUT THE GAME INTO FITZ' HANDS, HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE IT. You have to establish the run and keep running.

To the OP..

C.J. is the best player on the team. In fact this is why they drafted him, he can take it to the house on any play. They knew he had this much talent.

Time to give him the rock full time kid is explosive. If he gets hurt Fred and Choice are good players ...but you have to get him the ball I mean 20 times on the ground 5 or 6 times in the air.

What kills me is Chan wont make make the most out of what he has.

This is the issue. I don't think there is a Bills fan out there that thinks our passing game is better than our run game. So why do we continue to downplay the run and highlight the pass?

Please don't answer with "because it's a passing league". Just don't.

You have to establish the run and keep running.

Could not agree more. To take it a bit further (or farther, up yours grammar police), you have to run when the opposing D knows you are running and get the distance anyway. It seems like that's Chan Gump's biggest flaw. He isnt willing, on 3rd and 2, to simply line up in a run formation with his bruisers and dare them to stop it. He'd rather try to fool the other team. How's that been working out?

This is the issue. I don't think there is a Bills fan out there that thinks our passing game is better than our run game. So why do we continue to downplay the run and highlight the pass?

This is why Chan should be let go. Even Fitz said get the rock to Spiller in his presser after the game.

Why do we continue to accept bad coaching in this organization?? If the press, fans and even players say CJ should be the main focus why do we let a guy coach this team when he doesnt even use his best weapon. We were down only by 14-9 in the 3rd but we come out and throw 3 straight passes leading to a 3 and out.

Its beyond stupid.

Could not agree more. To take it a bit further (or farther, up yours grammar police), you have to run when the opposing D knows you are running and get the distance anyway. It seems like that's Chan Gump's biggest flaw. He isnt willing, on 3rd and 2, to simply line up in a run formation with his bruisers and dare them to stop it. He'd rather try to fool the other team. How's that been working out?

I wish I could add this to my list of observations about today's game. I totally agree. I get that the circumstances are a little different in short yardage situations, but sometimes we overcomplicate the game. If we average 4 yards a carry, why on earth are we constantly throwing on third and short? I appreciate that the response will be, "because Spiller got knocked backward on third and one." I saw that too. In the demarcation of Spiller/Jackson touches, however, that's an instance where Fred gets the ball.

The game has changed. QBs are able to carry teams more than rbs. And even back in the old days, how many small rbs were able to carry their team?

I pretty much agree. Problem is. Chan DRAFTED HIM IN THE FIRST ROUND. Damn. Not yelling at you but you cannot draft a guy there, have arguably the Best 1-2 punch in the game and then say.....well it's a passing league. :wallbash:

Yeah it is a passing league Chan. A league that has Passed You by!

Now say bye.

Please. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teams recognize that the Bills can't throw the ball down the field so they jam the line of scrimmage. What it comes down to because the qb can't widen and lengthen the field with passes down the field the defense has the numbers advantage along the line and with the LBs. The defense is compressed to stop the run. The way to back the defense up is to throw some long passes and make some big plays. Our offense is incapable of accomplishing that.

Should Chan simply force more running plays even when the defensive alignment would call for a passing play? Perhaps. Maybe he could try bringing in another TE to help in the running game?

The Bills are a flawed team on both sides of the ball. It is like chess game where one side plays with more pieces. Our weaknesses are very evident to all teams. They are smart enough to not get cute and simply exploit what has already been exposed.

I wish I could add this to my list of observations about today's game. I totally agree. I get that the circumstances are a little different in short yardage situations, but sometimes we overcomplicate the game. If we average 4 yards a carry, why on earth are we constantly throwing on third and short? I appreciate that the response will be, "because Spiller got knocked backward on third and one." I saw that too. In the demarcation of Spiller/Jackson touches, however, that's an instance where Fred gets the ball.

Yep, exactly. Fred is perfect in 3rd and 2 with 2 TEs and a FB. Who cares that the D knows what's coming? Get 3!!

For all of Thurman's amazing highlights, what made him truly great was his ability to get that unglamourous 3.2 yards on 3rd and 3 late in the third or early in the fourth.

We have thet type of team now. It's maddening that we dont use it.

Yep, exactly. Fred is perfect in 3rd and 2 with 2 TEs and a FB. Who cares that the D knows what's coming? Get 3!!

For all of Thurman's amazing highlights, what made him truly great was his ability to get that unglamourous 3.2 yards on 3rd and 3 late in the third or early in the fourth.

How big was Thurman?

Absolutely. There's something to be said for imposing one's will and running someone over. An RB who falls forward on third and two typically gets the first down.

Teams recognize that the Bills can't throw the ball down the field so they jam the line of scrimmage. What it comes down to because the qb can't widen and lengthen the field with passes down the field the defense has the numbers advantage along the line and with the LBs. The defense is compressed to stop the run. The way to back the defense up is to throw some long passes and make some big plays. Our offense is incapable of accomplishing that.

Should Chan simply force more running plays even when the defensive alignment would call for a passing play? Perhaps. Maybe he could try bringing in another TE to help in the running game?

Agree and disagree. There is no doubt teams overload vs the run because Fitz cant throw long. However, in a 3rd and 2/3/4 type scenario, the box is going to be stuffed anyway. I'm simply advocating using your strength and daring them to stop it. If, after myriad attempts to run out of these situations, the Bills continue to get stuffed, then fine, empty the backfield and try something new. But the fact is they dont even try to impose their will via the run game on 3rd and makeable, and a team that plays in our weather with our backs and OL that does not do that is doomed.

Absolutely. There's something to be said for imposing one's will and running someone over. An RB who falls forward on third and two typically gets the first down.

And getting a first down running on a 3rd and 3 give the Oline confidence they could do it again.

Funny, Chan does not trust Fred or CJ to get 3 yds?? Oh that's right we got Fitz at QB ... :wallbash:

comparing current players like cj to players from 30 year ago is ridiculous. this bills team would be monstrous in size and speed compared to a team from the 80s and would probably destroy them. i honestly dont think you can compare players/teams with more than a 10 year window at most

And getting a first down running on a 3rd and 3 give the Oline confidence they could do it again.

Funny, Chan does not trust Fred or CJ to get 3 yds?? Oh that's right we got Fitz at QB ... :wallbash:

Bingo. It shortens the game for us. Keeps the ball in the hands of one of our two best offensive players (apologies to Stevie J.), keeps the ball out of the hands of our erratic QB (who admittedly had his fastball today) and helps keep the defense off the field. Our offense is built to grind, and we prefer to be cute.

Exactly. It also makes a game managing QB far more effective when its time for play action. Why the hell dont we run 40-50 times a game?

comparing current players like cj to players from 30 year ago is ridiculous. this bills team would be monstrous in size and speed compared to a team from the 80s and would probably destroy them. i honestly dont think you can compare players/teams with more than a 10 year window at most

I totally agree. I bet Nate Solder would own Bruce Smith. :wallbash:

Edited by Thurmal34

Ralph spent approx. 140 million dollars on DEs. Even though Kelsay wasn't one of them, these guys need to be going after qbs, NOT covering receivers, or even fbs. That is why we have so many 1st and 2nd round dbs on the team, no?

Sure pal, whatever you say. It was over 8 hrs ago now but if I recall correctly Kelsay just made a read and peeled off his rush and followed Casey. Whether that was designed or not...couldn't tell you, I don't know the playbook. Perhaps it was just a 10+ year vet knowing that guy was about to be open and giving it the old college try

Bill, Do I even want to read this? I did not watch the game. I did not do anything but listen and that sounded rough enough. Not for that we did not play well, but for that we just flat out lost the first half .... screw, we all know I will read this. My question to you before I even attempt to ruin my evening seeing a dose of reality - well, what the hell happened today that was bad and good? I thought of a lot of good that seemed to come through my speakers but there was a lot of bad.

Why is it that Williams kept getting beat deep? Where the hell was his safety help!?! The guy is Andre F'n Johnson.

I didn't really watch the game either, and I feel much better than I would if I HAD watched. I watched RedZone from 1pm until 730pm and my Sunday was glorious. I didn't get all hung up on minutiae with the Bills, and quite frankly they really weren't on redzone all that often. I didn't have to get mad because, yet once again, we leave a RB averaging a mile per carry picking his ass instead of actually giving him more opportunities to shine. Hell, there was even a very well respected reporter from Houston on the John Murphy Show this week who basically said, if the Bills want to win, they should RUN THE BALL. When I saw a few posts just a few minutes ago saying how Fred and CJ only had like 12 carries in the first half and half that in the 2nd, it just makes me shake my head. You have to be a complete idiot to rely on Ryan Fitzpatrick more heavily than you rely on not one, but TWO very capable RBs....especially when one of them leads the fuggin NFL in ypc. Yet week after week, Chan does the same ****.

9) You want to know what this team needs? It needs two people. Bill Polian and Wade Phillips. It wouldn't matter is Ralph was 194 years old. Polian could build a winner. And Wade is a defensive genius. There is no disputing this imo.

12) Hang in there folks. There is nothing good in sight, but we are who we are, and we will not abandon this team. We can't.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9) Buddy Nix already stated Gailey is here until next year, and probably after that. This owner is fine with how the team is doing as long as devoted Bills fans keep his stadium filled. Hey, 8 more games to go, and they could go 11-5 right?

12) I feel so badly for Bills fans, so passionate for their beloved team and yet being hoodwinked by an owner who doesn't care if his team wins games! Fans so afraid to stop buying tickets for fear that their beloved team will move away.

Well guess what! This owner doesn't even care who buys the team after he passes,and In all probability the team will be bought, and moved !! So whats all this devotion worth then?

Ralph Wilson is fully aware that if he hired Bill Polian and Wade Phillips as HC they could have this team in the playoffs next year. First off, that would cut into his personal profits and second of all, understand Bill, HE DOESN'T CARE IF THE TEAM WINS as long as he is making money!

That recent news article stated that Wilson is on the phone every day to Buddy Nix, Dave Wannstadt should have been fired after the 49er game for his ineptitude. Its clear that no coaching changes will be made no matter how poorly the team plays.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Strongly disagree with the Gilmore point. Cut the rookie a break, he will be a very good player for years to come. A. Williams on the other hand.....wow. I'm starting to think he doesn't even deserve a roster spot. What other CBs get beat like he does week after week?? Perhaps we could move him to free safety after Byrd signs a 70 million dollar contract elsewhere.

DBs are going to get beat, if there is no pass rush from the front four. Schaub had all the time to sit back and throw long balls to Daniels, Johnson and even to some unknown dude name Casey. Secondly, this defense is simply dropping possible INTs. Wilson dropped a game clinching INT against the Titans in the final moments. We paid for it when Hasselbeck converted the next play into a game winning TD. The DBs had their chances yesterday too and missed it.

Our defense wasn't as big an issue here as Chan's stubborness. When you have a dynamic player like CJ whos gaining 8+ yards pretty much everytime he touches the ball.....how can you not keep feeding him? I'm absolutely dumbfounded by this.

Completely agree. It is such a shame that Gailey would draft Spiller and sit him on the bench and put scrubs like Ruvell Martin and Brad Smith on the field on offense. Of course, we have no QB to take advantage of his speed on the sidelines.

Scott Chandler is also on my sh*tlist. Just throwing that out there too.

To be honest, this was the first time Scott Chandler had a bad game. Until yesterday the big guy caught everything thrown at him. Today he made two critical mistakes that could have kept drives alive.

Next week is the week that really matters. If we can get back to 4-5 as we hit the soft part of our schedule, I'll be pleased. 6 of our first 9 games have been road games, 3 of which took place in different time zones. How many NFL teams would have winning records playing who we have played??

I don't see how this bunch of ill-discplined players/coaching staff have any chance against Belichek in his own back yard. Gailey has not made anyone accountable on this team. This team is going to coast in mediocrity. If your QB does not even attempt to throw two passes down the sideline, the opposing defense is going to have 8-9 folks at the LOS and throwing a 5 yard curl pattern is not going to matter.

I'm excited to see how our D performs. We won't have a problem scoring TDs against the Patriots, that's a fact.

Our D still cannot stop the Run. Every opposing RB can punish us for 5+ yards on every play. The only relief for our Run defense comes from the opponent OC, who for some stupid reasons of their own decide to throw passes and keep the Bills in the ball game until half time. If I were coaching against the Bills, I will run the ball every single time.

9) Buddy Nix already stated Gailey is here until next year, and probably after that. This owner is fine with how the team is doing as long as devoted Bills fans keep his stadium filled. Hey, 8 more games to go, and they could go 11-5 right?

How is that so? Every year, the Bills fans have stopped filling the stadium in December as the team is already out of contention by then. This year those 4 games are unlikely to be sold out. How is Ralph Wilson going to make money by putting this inferior product out.

Ralph Wilson is fully aware that if he hired Bill Polian and Wade Phillips as HC they could have this team in the playoffs next year. First off, that would cut into his personal profits and second of all, understand Bill, HE DOESN'T"T CARE IF THE TEAM WINS as long as he is making money!

This is the worst argument. The guy just shelled out 50M guaranteed money to a Defensive playmaker. How does that not cut into his profit especially with the way this defense has been playing. I don't see Polian and/or Phillips coming back to Buffalo for what it was in the past. They have moved on and had a good career. It is up to Nix/Whaley to find the right solution and it starts with a HC who will make EVERYONE accountable and responsible. At this point Gailey has no accountability including his own actions as the OC.

Another week, another jab at Spiller by Bill. You're a moron at this point.

Keep holding out for your boy Dareus, homie is looking like fat Mike 2.0. Dude will eat himself out of the league. You keep bashing our best player, week after week, while you hold out for a fat lazy !@#$ who rarely shows up on gamedays.

The guy that actually plays well when given a chance, wants to tote the rock as much as he can, gets no respect from the all knowing Bill. He's getting shafted by his moron coach, but keep holding on to that small sliver of hope that Spiller's actually a colossal bust. Can't wait until he's off this team and catches on with some other team that can actually utilize his skill set effectively.

At least we'll have 350 DT that does !@#$ all.

Who will then, Bill?

He may very well be our best player at this point. He's certainly our best skill player, and I too would like to see him get more touches. But as another poster added, there are few players in the league other than great qbs who can actually carry a team.

Years ago, rbs such as Earl Canpbell, John Riggins, OJ, and many others were "carrying" teams. Today, the teams with the best rbs aren't necessarily winning.

Again, I have been praising Spiller most of the season,. and noted his fantastic move on the screen.

I am sorry that my OP was misleading. Spiller was NOT, in any way, to blame for this loss. His game has totally improved, to the point where he is a consistent threat, and his blocking even improved.

I guess the "carry a team" remark was better served for a different thread.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Spiller can never carry a team that won't give its most talented player the ball.

I still am in the "give Dareus a free pass" club. Give him a year to recover from this indescribable tragedy, and give him a defensive coordinator who knows his ass from a hole in the ground, and you'll see him back in business, I think. That is, unless Bills culture has really seeped into his veins.

I would take Polian and Wade back in a heartbeat. It would take 90+ year old Ralph Wilson admitting he's wrong, getting on his knees, and begging both of them with promises of money and control. In other words, I'm not holding my breath.

Glenn is coming back off of injury. I expect rustiness.

I feel for Aaron Williams but welcome Ron Brooks.

Fitz can't carry the team, and that's the end of that story. It really doesn't matter if he plays his heart out, because he leaves some easy yards on the ground - making his teammates fight for harder ones. If he could just f---ing once hit Stevie on a corner route when he has his man beaten by 3 steps, I could agree with you.

"Bills Culture"... i like that one.. that sort of Ward Cleaver "day at the office", "9 to 5" do enough to keep your job .. focus is on family, wife and suburban life in O Park. We're not going anywhere as a team, so lets keep our priorities straight... hmm,, makes sense to me. Not exactly Clay Matthews is it.

Keep holding out for your boy Dareus, homie is looking like fat Mike 2.0. Dude will eat himself out of the league. You keep bashing our best player, week after week, while you hold out for a fat lazy !@#$ who rarely shows up on gamedays.

At least we'll have 350 DT that does !@#$ all.

Nice stat line yesterday. 1 tackle. The guy is looking to be a bust. The apologists here are OK with him taking a check each week and having a built in excuse. What ever happened to PICKING UP your game to dedicate it to your brother. He does look 350#, not at all in football shape