A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Dareus is breaking my heart. He is. He had a play or 2 today, but overall he was rather pedestrian. It can go either way. He can shake the sophmore blues, or he can be a defensive Mike Williams. Our history doesn't paint a pretty picture and it really does suck. I had very high hopes for this kid.

2) Let's talk about Gilmore, shall we? I for one think that he sucked today. Sure, he made a play or 2. And yes I know, he was trying to cover a great receiver. I get it. But so far, he is just another under-achieving, wasted pick on a defensive back. He will probably wind up being better overall than Whitner. Is everybody happy? I am an inch away from calling him a complete waste of a pick.

3) Spiller made an off the charts move on the screen pass early in the 2nd quarter. Seriously. He isn't ready to carry the team. He never will be. But he really has talent.

4) Someone help me out.....why call a wildcat AFTER a timeout? Isn't the purpose of a wildcat play to confuse your opponent? And, wtf was the point of a wildcat to Spiller? Brad Smith wasn't doing so bad, was he?

5) OK....this is f----d up......When Aaron Williams got hurt, I found myself to be in the situation of Chief fans when Cassel went down. Here is the end result.....I didn't want the kid to be seriously injured. Not even a bit. But I was actually glad to see him out of the game. He is one of the worst players that I have ever had the displeasure to watch. He completely sucks, and does not belong on an NFL roster. McKelvin? Rogers? They suck too in terms of playng corner, but AW is worse. You tell me.....did I take the high road?

6) I watched Cordy Glenn as much as I could for the entire game. Mixed reviews. In our first series of downs, he actually held off his opponent by extending his left arm. This would seem impossible. But overall, he had a not so great day. I understand this; he was playing against a great Wade Phillps defense, and he is a rookie. But his showing today overall was not good. Sorry.

7) Did you see Kelsay in pass coverage midway in the 3rd quarter? Wanny won't stop this insanity. He just won't, and he should be fired tonight.

8) Broken heart don't feel so bad,

You ain't got half of what you thought you had.

Rock your baby to and fro,

Not too fast and not too slow,

And I say row, Jimmy, row

Gonna get there, I don't know

Seems a common, way to go

Get down and row, row, row, row, row

9) You want to know what this team needs? It needs two people. Bill Polian and Wade Phillips. It wouldn't matter is Ralph was 194 years old. Polian could build a winner. And Wade is a defensive genius. There is no disputing this imo.

10) Fitz wasn't so bad today. Levitre and Wood didn't play so well, nor did Urbik. And he still made some nice throws. This is not a call for him to lead us to the promised land. But to be fair, he did all he could.

11) The defense got fooled by the play action left time after time. There is no excuse fior this. Wanny should have been fired weeks ago, but tonight would be ok too.

12) Hang in there folks. There is nothing good in sight, but we are who we are, and we will not abandon this team. We can't.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why isnt spiller ready to carry this team/he never will be? a bit confused by that......

other that, solid post and points as usual

The game has changed. QBs are able to carry teams more than rbs. And even back in the old days, how many small rbs were able to carry their team?

Agenda, that's why

im even more confused after your response....do you mean Bill has an agenda against CJ?

The game has changed. QBs are able to carry teams more than rbs. And even back in the old days, how many small rbs were able to carry their team?

ohhhhhh I dunno....some dude named Walter Payton seemed to be able to handle carrying his team, and he was CJ's size...

I looked at my son and said "...that injury alone makes this defense so much better..." i NEVER root against players and I really hope that he is ok, but Aaron Williams out our lineup is an instant improvement...i just wish he left as a result of his performance rather than going out with an injury

5) OK....this is f----d up......When Aaron Williams got hurt, I found myself to be in the situation of Chief fans when Cassel went down. Here is the end result.....I didn't want the kid to be seriously injured. Not even a bit. But I was actually glad to see him out of the game. He is one of the worst players that I have ever had the displeasure to watch. He completely sucks, and does not belong on an NFL roster. McKelvin? Rogers? They suck too in terms of playng corner, but AW is worse. You tell me.....did I take the high road?

im even more confused after your response....do you mean Bill has an agenda against CJ?

Yes. He was a vocal critic of the pick, and has repeatedly called Spiller a number of derogatory names, such as "smurf", "midget", etc.

Spiller can never carry a team that won't give its most talented player the ball.

I still am in the "give Dareus a free pass" club. Give him a year to recover from this indescribable tragedy, and give him a defensive coordinator who knows his ass from a hole in the ground, and you'll see him back in business, I think. That is, unless Bills culture has really seeped into his veins.

I would take Polian and Wade back in a heartbeat. It would take 90+ year old Ralph Wilson admitting he's wrong, getting on his knees, and begging both of them with promises of money and control. In other words, I'm not holding my breath.

Glenn is coming back off of injury. I expect rustiness.

I feel for Aaron Williams but welcome Ron Brooks.

Fitz can't carry the team, and that's the end of that story. It really doesn't matter if he plays his heart out, because he leaves some easy yards on the ground - making his teammates fight for harder ones. If he could just f---ing once hit Stevie on a corner route when he has his man beaten by 3 steps, I could agree with you.

Yes. He was a vocal critic of the pick, and has repeatedly called Spiller a number of derogatory names, such as "smurf", "midget", etc.

ahhhhhh ok gotcha....thanks for clearing that up....

well as I said above, Walter Payton wasent too big and he was still awesome

other small RBs who are HOFers: Barry Sanders, Emmett Smith (has 10 pounds on CJ but hes 2 inches shorter), Marshall Faulk.... I dunno what im missing about him being too small...

1. Does Aaron Williams ever, and I mean ever, have ball awareness?

2. I listened to the post game show on WGR and is this right, that CJ and FJ had 3 rushes in the second half?

3. Kelsay, does suck, always will suck, the Texans ran left how many times for yards galore

4. Seems like Fitz had about a second and half to throw and our offensive line did not have a very good game, how many hits did Watt put on Fitz

5. While the D was better, you still get the soft coverage like the first down to AJ where Gilmore was giving him a 10 yard cushion

6. Gailey's play calling was pathetic

ohhhhhh I dunno....some dude named Walter Payton seemed to be able to handle carrying his team, and he was CJ's size...

A 5'10" 200 lb RB in 2012 is a lot smaller than a 5'10" 200 lb RB in 1975-87. Walter Payton was also exceptionally strong.

1. Does Aaron Williams ever, and I mean ever, have ball awareness?

2. I listened to the post game show on WGR and is this right, that CJ and FJ had 3 rushes in the second half?

3. Kelsay, does suck, always will suck, the Texans ran left how many times for yards galore

4. Seems like Fitz had about a second and half to throw and our offensive line did not have a very good game, how many hits did Watt put on Fitz

5. While the D was better, you still get the soft coverage like the first down to AJ where Gilmore was giving him a 10 yard cushion

6. Gailey's play calling was pathetic

i thought quite the opposite...and I recall the (dumbass) announcers also commenting how fitz had all day to throw for much of the game...there are times when Fitz feels pressure and panics and tries to "escape" the pocket, just getting himself sacked....watch good QBs play the position, they feel the pressure, step up in the pocket, side step, etc, and find an open receiver down field...thats the key though, Fitz cant throw downfield so those options are never open b/c he cant get it there....

Ill have to go back and watch the game again, but I remember Fitz having a lot of time to throw the ball on many plays...of course he got hit, thats gonna happen against the Texans

Agenda, that's why

What is your agenda? Do you think that Spiller will ever carry this team? How about other, better rbs such as Adrian Peterson? Those days are gone.

I have praised Spiller more often than not this season. He is playing well. But he will never carry this football team. If you disagree, please enlighten us.

Never mind.....I am thinking that you have oh so little to add.

why isnt spiller ready to carry this team/he never will be? a bit confused by that......

other that, solid post and points as usual

I've been reading Bill's "Few thoughts about the game..." for a few years. While I enjoy reading his posts after games, he clearly has an agenda against our best player and perhaps best RB in the game. If only Chan would commit to the run...

1- play calling not great

2- wildcat go away please

3- qb is still average(along with the other qbs on this team)

4- d still not great

Summary.... bills are not great.

We need to get an elite qb.. we need a better d.

This is not ground breaking stuff.

What is your agenda? Do you think that Spiller will ever carry this team? How about other, better rbs such as Adrian Peterson? Those days are gone.

I have praised Spiller more often than not this season. He is playing well. But he will never carry this football team. If you disagree, please enlighten us.

A little of column A, a little of column B. This is a passing league, now, but it is so foolish to not get Spiller the ball more often. When this team has difficulty cashing it in, it ought to be looking to get the ball in the hands of the guy who is its biggest home run threat. He can't carry the team - you're right about that. But he can take over a game, and the Bills are consistently giving Fitz those chances instead of Spiller.

Bill, Do I even want to read this? I did not watch the game. I did not do anything but listen and that sounded rough enough. Not for that we did not play well, but for that we just flat out lost the first half .... screw, we all know I will read this. My question to you before I even attempt to ruin my evening seeing a dose of reality - well, what the hell happened today that was bad and good? I thought of a lot of good that seemed to come through my speakers but there was a lot of bad.

Why is it that Williams kept getting beat deep? Where the hell was his safety help!?! The guy is Andre F'n Johnson.

2) Let's talk about Gilmore, shall we? I for one think that he sucked today. Sure, he made a play or 2. And yes I know, he was trying to cover a great receiver. I get it. But so far, he is just another under-achieving, wasted pick on a defensive back. He will probably wind up being better overall than Whitner. Is everybody happy? I am an inch away from calling him a complete waste of a pick.

6) I watched Cordy Glenn as much as I could for the entire game. Mixed reviews. In our first series of downs, he actually held off his opponent by extending his left arm. This would seem impossible. But overall, he had a not so great day. I understand this; he was playing against a great Wade Phillps defense, and he is a rookie. But his showing today overall was not good. Sorry.

7) Did you see Kelsay in pass coverage midway in the 3rd quarter? Wanny won't stop this insanity. He just won't, and he should be fired tonight.

I normally agree with you but...let's start with #2, shall we?

Gilmore sucked? Why, because Andre Johnson had 8 catches for 118? Let's examine how much of that was done BEFORE the Williams injury. Because right up until Williams got hurt, every time I saw #80 making a catch, #23 was following him. I count 4 catches before the injury and 4 after. Roughly 4 for 50 for Johnson after Gilmore started covering him, but Gilmore spent the majority of the game (inexplicably I might add) covering Kevin Walter. How many catches did he have? 2?

As far as #6, I give him the benefit of the doubt today. I doubt he was 100% since it wasn't a sure thing he was playing up until the last couple of days. Perhaps if Pears wasn't hurt, he wouldn't have been back today. That being said, I think the line that was out there today, with Glenn at LT and Hairston at RT, is probably the best 5 they have.

#7...yeah, Kelsay in coverage sucks. I'm assuming that you're talking about on the James Casey 25 yard catch though. I mean, Dan Fouts was babbling about Kelsay covering "a tight end" on the play, but Casey more often than not lines up as a FB. A DE covering a FB isn't crazy or unacceptable schematically. Wannstedt just should have had something else drawn up for a player like Casey who isn't a true FB. I mean, you won't often see a FB 25 yards downfield.

i thought quite the opposite...and I recall the (dumbass) announcers also commenting how fitz had all day to throw for much of the game...there are times when Fitz feels pressure and panics and tries to "escape" the pocket, just getting himself sacked....watch good QBs play the position, they feel the pressure, step up in the pocket, side step, etc, and find an open receiver down field...thats the key though, Fitz cant throw downfield so those options are never open b/c he cant get it there....

Ill have to go back and watch the game again, but I remember Fitz having a lot of time to throw the ball on many plays...of course he got hit, thats gonna happen against the Texans

Well if the Bills never throw long, and they dont, and Fitz usually throws the quick short pass, how did Watt still have a sack and 5 hits on the QB. Im not saying the OL is bad, just that this wasnt one of their better games.

A little of column A, a little of column B. This is a passing league, now, but it is so foolish to not get Spiller the ball more often. When this team has difficulty cashing it in, it ought to be looking to get the ball in the hands of the guy who is its biggest home run threat. He can't carry the team - you're right about that. But he can take over a game, and the Bills are consistently giving Fitz those chances instead of Spiller.

I fully agree. Am I not spelling it out correctly? That said, I would still rather see FJ or even the FB get the carry on 3rd and 1.

I've been reading Bill's "Few thoughts about the game..." for a few years. While I enjoy reading his posts after games, he clearly has an agenda against our best player and perhaps best RB in the game. If only Chan would commit to the run...

Disagree with your first point, as it's the same recycled garbage every week, but I agree with the rest.

#7...yeah, Kelsay in coverage sucks. I'm assuming that you're talking about on the James Casey 25 yard catch though. I mean, Dan Fouts was babbling about Kelsay covering "a tight end" on the play, but Casey more often than not lines up as a FB. A DE covering a FB isn't crazy or unacceptable schematically. Wannstedt just should have had something else drawn up for a player like Casey who isn't a true FB. I mean, you won't often see a FB 25 yards downfield.

Ralph spent approx. 140 million dollars on DEs. Even though Kelsay wasn't one of them, these guys need to be going after qbs, NOT covering receivers, or even fbs. That is why we have so many 1st and 2nd round dbs on the team, no?

A few responses to your thoughts:

1, 5. Dareus and Aaron Williams are head cases right now. It's all mental for them. I would seriously consider benching them for a bit.

2, 7, 11. Perhaps us fans should lay off some of the criticism on our defensive players. Way too many talented players are grossly underperforming for me to think this is a coincidence. I first want to see a defensive coordinator who knows how to put guys in position to succeed before gutting the roster again. Wannstedt is stuck in the early 90's.

3. Spiller can and should be carrying this offense. He may be smallish for an NFL back, but he's built very compact and can take a pounding. 25 touches a game minimum. This game he was given 11. Unacceptable.

4. Stick a fork in the Wildcat and spend practices working on something more innovative. I'd like to see more plays involving Fred and CJ on the field at the same time. TJ Graham too.

9. I hate living in the past. Lou Saban, Marv Levy, Harvey Johnson ( :lol: ),...none of these worked out the second time around. I'm fine with promoting Whaley to GM and having him hire a promising young head coach prospect.

10. Fitz is a prototypical NFL backup. I'm glad he's on our team, and I hope he takes a pay cut to stay on as a mentor for next year's 1st round pick.

Disagree with your first point, as it's the same recycled garbage every week, but I agree with the rest.

Dude, you would be well served to stay away from my threads, no? I understand how little you have to offer, I will help you get started. Try to come up with an original thought, and couple it with some sort of humor and/or personality.

If this is too tough for you to comprehend, I'm really sorry, but I did try.

Strongly disagree with the Gilmore point. Cut the rookie a break, he will be a very good player for years to come. A. Williams on the other hand.....wow. I'm starting to think he doesn't even deserve a roster spot. What other CBs get beat like he does week after week?? Perhaps we could move him to free safety after Byrd signs a 70 million dollar contract elsewhere.

Our defense wasn't as big an issue here as Chan's stubborness. When you have a dynamic player like CJ whos gaining 8+ yards pretty much everytime he touches the ball.....how can you not keep feeding him? I'm absolutely dumbfounded by this.

Scott Chandler is also on my sh*tlist. Just throwing that out there too.

Next week is the week that really matters. If we can get back to 4-5 as we hit the soft part of our schedule, I'll be pleased. 6 of our first 9 games have been road games, 3 of which took place in different time zones. How many NFL teams would have winning records playing who we have played??

I'm excited to see how our D performs. We won't have a problem scoring TDs against the Patriots, that's a fact.

Spiller should be getting 25+ touches a game....until hes given that chance who are you to say he cant "Carry the team"...

He should definately be given the oppurtunity to do so....before passing judgement

I agree with this point 100% - and apparently CBC Sports does too:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20824515/postgame-analysis-texans-21-bills-9---

"With Sunday's game hanging in the balance at Houston's Reliant Stadium, one coach made sure to use one of the best running backs in the league. The other didn't.

The pass-happy Bills (3-5) were unable to find the end zone, going 0 for 3 in the red zone and scoring on only three-field goal attempts. Their inconsistent play on offense was in part due to a lack of touches for RB C.J. Spiller, who averaged 7.3 yards per carry heading into the game. Spiller looked explosive in limited opportunities but finished with only six carries for 39 yards (along with five receptions for 63 yards)

We would like to [get C.J. the ball], and we've got to try to do that on a more consistent basis,” Bills coach Chan Gailey said. “Some weeks are better than others. ... They surprised us with a defense we hadn't seen that much, and we had to alter. I've got to do a better job of adjusting.”

The bolded quote says it all. Pass-happy Chan admits he cannot adjust....tell me something we don't already know.

I looked at my son and said "...that injury alone makes this defense so much better..." i NEVER root against players and I really hope that he is ok, but Aaron Williams out our lineup is an instant improvement...i just wish he left as a result of his performance rather than going out with an injury

what's disturbing is that it took an injury before a coaching decision to remove AW from the field. Pathetic.

Dude, you would be well served to stay away from my threads, no? I understand how little you have to offer, I will help you get started. Try to come up with an original thought, and couple it with some sort of humor and/or personality.

If this is too tough for you to comprehend, I'm really sorry, but I did try.

Perhaps I should copy some ****ty lyrics in my posts?

Speaking of humor, I did enjoy your comment about preferring FBs over Spiller in 3rd and 1 situations. I mean, that was a joke, right?

Your posts are comic relief after Bills' losses, because almost everybody knows what's going to be said:

1. Random, basic observations that are completely obvious to anyone who is not legally blind;

2. Rip on [insert name of DB here];

3. Either criticize Spiller, or offer backhanded praise;

4. Praise one or more of the OL for blocking;

5. Ignore poor play by, or mistakes of, players that you like;

6. Every couple of weeks, fire a shot at Marv Levy;

7. Occasionally, cheer the injury of a Bills player ( this week, for example), or call them names ( "piece of ****", "smurf", "midget", etc.)

That said, despite the unintentional comedy, I so much prefer R. Rich's "Meaningless Thoughts" posts. It's refreshing to read an objective post that contains some legitimate insight.

No one player other than an exceptiaonal qb is going to carry this team or any other team. Why are you instituting an unattainable standard for Spiller that few players in the league are going to meet? Spiller is the most productive player on the team. He is singularly the only big play player on offense. Yet you continue to lament his draft selection. I don't understand your fixation on this issue. If you want to focus on a non-productive drafted player or two in his draft year then focus on the selection of Troup and Carrington with the next two picks.

There were a number of dropped passes that hindered the offense. But if you review the pass plays that were called there were very few passes that were longer than 10-12 yards. Our pass play calling is extremely limited because our qb has obvious limitations in accuracy and arm strength. No matter what gaudy numbers Ftiz has the stats are not as revealing as actually watching the game. Shaub is not a great qb by far. But he has the ability to make the full range of passes, especially down field.

J.J. Watt was the best player on the field and a good case can be made that he is currently the best defensive player in the league. Johnson is one of the best receivers in the league. If he played for the Bills his talents would be wasted because no one could get him the ball down the field.

In your initial post you brought up Polian and Wade and the dream of having them involved with this bumbling organization. As you well know Polian was fired by the moronic owner and not only was Wade also fired by the vindictive owner he was also cheated out of his salary until the league stepped in and rectified the despicable actions of a cartoonishly incompetent and nasty owner.

When you watch the Bills play a good team the qaulitative difference is stark. As it stands the Bills are not only a team mired in the muck of mediocrity but they are irrelevant as an NFL franchise. That is so sad.

Perhaps I should copy some ****ty lyrics in my posts?

Speaking of humor, I did enjoy your comment about preferring FBs over Spiller in 3rd and 1 situations. I mean, that was a joke, right?

Your posts are comic relief after Bills' losses, because almost everybody knows what's going to be said:

1. Random, basic observations that are completely obvious to anyone who is not legally blind;

2. Rip on [insert name of DB here];

3. Either criticize Spiller, or offer backhanded praise;

4. Praise one or more of the OL for blocking;

5. Ignore poor play by, or mistakes of, players that you like;

6. Every couple of weeks, fire a shot at Marv Levy;

7. Occasionally, cheer the injury of a Bills player ( this week, for example), or call them names ( "piece of ****", "smurf", "midget", etc.)

That said, despite the unintentional comedy, I so much prefer R. Rich's "Meaningless Thoughts" posts. It's refreshing to read an objective post that contains some legitimate insight.

You're annoying.

Doug Martin (smaller than Spiller) just put up 265 rushing yards, 4 TDs, 4 receptions and 20 yards....

DEF cant carry a team though bc hes just too dam small!!!!

No one player other than an exceptiaonal qb is going to carry this team or any other team. Why are you instituting an unattainable standard for Spiller that few players in the league are going to meet? Spiller is the most productive player on the team. He is singularly the only big play player on offense. Yet you continue to lament his draft selection. I don't understand your fixation on this issue. If you want to focus on a non-productive drafted player or two in his draft year then focus on the selection of Troup and Carrington with the next two picks.

I agree with this post, with the qualifier that I'm not sure that any single player, exceptional QBs included, can carry a team.

Bill, thanks for nice comments as always. I wish I could say that I look forward to Sundays to watch quality Bills football, but in the absence of that I at least have the thoughtful post-mortem you produce every week.

I'll add a few thoughts.

1. I'm glad we "fed" Spiller the ball only 11 times today. I was worried he might get tired. Fortunately, I don't think that happened.

2. Sarcasm aside, Fred might be a battering ram, and it is important to get him a critical mass of carries, but this year he looks slow to me. Maybe it's because he pales in comparison to Spiller's dynamism. Whatever the case, enough is enough with alternating series. It's time to give the job to Spiller and use Fred as the sub.

3. I cannot put into words how tired I am of the lousy defenses we've fielded throughout the Bush II and Obama administrations. The stat lines are disgustingly predictable - opposing QBs with 65% completion rate, couple of TDs, no picks, great third down percentage and astronomical quarterback rating. It happens every week, and it happened again this week.

4. Our backers, with the exception of Barnett, suck. Painfully so. But not as much as Aaron Williams. If they're going to put him back out there when he's healthy, they should either move him to safety or make him change his number. Seriously. Right now, if it's third and long, I throw it at 23. Every. Single. Time. I think the NFL has figured this out, too.

5. Gailey seems to have one major brain cramp as a playcaller each week. This week it was the three throws-and-out to start the second half.

6. If we are ever behind in a close game with a chance to come back and win, we better not need the two-minute drill. That plodding, ineffective effort sucks. Then again, our four minute offense sucks, too, so even if we're ahead in the close game, we're still in trouble.

7. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I'll see you all next Sunday to talk about Mr. Brady's Madden-esque statline.

Edited by BuffaloPowerEye

Doug Martin (smaller than Spiller) just put up 265 rushing yards, 4 TDs, 4 receptions and 20 yards....

DEF cant carry a team though bc hes just too dam small!!!!

Dude--- Doug Martin is at least 15 lbs heavier than CJ, and he's "all muscle".

I don't disagree that Spiller can and should be utilized more, but let's not pretend there aren't durability concerns with a back built like him.