Could one coach provide so many bad answers in one interview?

The Bills still haven't drafted their franchise QB because they didn't perceive one was available when their turn came up in the draft. That's quite different than saying they would rather draft DBs, etc. instead.

Nix and Gailey have been on the record for a long time regarding the QB issue. When that guy can be taken, they will take him. You make it sound like they don't know that it takes elite QB play to have a long run of success in the league.

That has ALWAYS been the case and even those outside of the profession know that, let alone two guys who've been around the game as long as they have.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you for posting.

I love the way the great football minds on this board are so much smarter than Buddy and Chan. I also love how now people are saying that he is a good OC but not a good HC. He gets the most out of what we have on offense. Our special teams are pretty darn good. Our defense was entrusted to a guy everyone was excited about. Buddy went out and got the guy who most thought was the premier defensive free agent. It does not necessarily follow that, because our defense has not played the way we want it to that Chan all of a sudden is stupid and incapable of being a good HC.

I am going to reserve judgment until the end of the season on all of this.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills still haven't drafted their franchise QB because they didn't perceive one was available when their turn came up in the draft. That's quite different than saying they would rather draft DBs, etc. instead.

Nix and Gailey have been on the record for a long time regarding the QB issue. When that guy can be taken, they will take him. You make it sound like they don't know that it takes elite QB play to have a long run of success in the league.

That has ALWAYS been the case and even those outside of the profession know that, let alone two guys who've been around the game as long as they have.

GO BILLS!!!

That is an easy excuse as they haven't even tried to draft a QB to develop. The only QB this regime has drafted was a 7th rounder in 2010, Levi Brown. They haven't even tried to make an effort to bring in a top free agent QB.

You are right tho, just look at the last 3 drafts, they don't know what it takes. I say the real reason is this regime wouldn't know a top rookie QB even if he came up and kicked them in their collective arses.

Jake Locker- Christen Ponder- Andy Dalton-Blane Gabbert- RG3- Brandon Weeden- Ryan Tannehill- Russell Wilson all 8 QB's starting and the bolded are doing well. Not even going to list Matthew Stafford ( meant Sam Bradford) or Cam Newton, and Andrew Luck.

How did Buddy Nix miss on Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson? If he actually knew what he was doing he could have traded up for Ryan Tannehill . But then I suppose its better to have a another 1st round DB on the worst defense in the NFL.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Infuriating interview with Chan.

http://wgr550.com/two-bills-

“You look at a season and I’ve said this 100 times and you go out and try to win every game and then you get to 12 or 13 and then you evaluate where you are and what you’ve got to do to get where you want to be. I have no idea what he's talking about.

This to me says that after 12 or 13 games you evaluate if you're going to make a playoff push or tank. I really didn't think that happened and maybe I'm being extreme. Maybe it's nt lose on purpose but don't necessarily try hard to win. Maybe start Brian brohm for a game for example. I can't argue with the strategy but I haven't seen it said.

Infuriating interview with Chan.

http://wgr550.com/tw...-drive/14666776

Gailey thinks Williams can be helpful to Dave Wannstedt, “I’m sure he probably can. We’ve not talked about it, I haven’t talked about it with Dave if he’s had that conversation You don't discuss with your DC if he spoke to your $100MM super star about playing?

Early in the season I thought the coverage was a little soft, then we’re not getting as much rush was we need with the four man rush, we need to get more pressure with the four man rush and the other thing we’ve got to do is stop the run and the 3rd and shorts. That’s the one thing that kills you if you end up in 3rd and less than seven on a regular basis 3rd and less than 7?!?! What? We've come to the point where we have to prevent having a 3rd and LESS THAN SEVEN in order to stop an offense.

Dave Wannstedt is a defensive coordinator that around 90% of the time won’t blitz. Gailey said, “We’ve evaluated that and that might be something that we look at as part of our process to try to get better at 3rd down. I'm glad they're evaluating blitzing in week 9, way to get around to that.

“You look at a season and I’ve said this 100 times and you go out and try to win every game and then you get to 12 or 13 and then you evaluate where you are and what you’ve got to do to get where you want to be. I have no idea what he's talking about.

I don’t like to talk about getting games back or losing critical games, to me those are done at the end of the season.” yeah let's talk about those critical loses at the end of the season, not right now.

> Gailey thinks Williams can be helpful to Dave Wannstedt, “I’m sure he probably can. We’ve not talked about it, I haven’t talked about it with Dave . . ."

To me the above answer indicates that Gailey isn't trying to micromanage Wannstedt. Probably part of that is that he trusts Wannstedt's judgment on defense more than he trusts his own. Part of that may be because Gailey is busy doing tasks normally reserved for offensive coordinators; and so does not have the time to oversee his defensive coordinator as closely as some other head coaches might.

> That’s the one thing that kills you if you end up in 3rd and less than seven on a regular basis

The above statement could be taken one of two ways. 1) Defeatism about the prospect of facing 3rd and 6 or less. 2) A sense of urgency about putting other teams' offenses into 3rd and 7 or more.

> “You look at a season and I’ve said this 100 times and you go out and try to win every game and then you get to 12 or 13 and then you evaluate where you are and what you’ve got to do to get where you want to be.

I think what he means by the above is that for the first 12 - 13 weeks of the season you focus solely on your upcoming opponent. But around week 13, you may also want to take a step back, and examine your season in more holistic, big picture terms.

I would also like to add that many of the questions Gailey is asked involve an attempt to get him to either a) assign blame to someone, or b) describe a proposed solution to an existing problem. A few weeks ago, a reporter asked Gailey about Mario Williams' lack of performance. Gailey said something to the effect of, "Well, he may not be getting sacks, but at least he's attracting double teams." The reporter pointed out that Williams was not, in fact, being double teamed; and was still not producing. Gailey's response at that point was "I can't speak to that." My sense is that Gailey may well be a lot more aware of the problems with his team than he lets on in the media, but doesn't want to throw anyone under the bus. Many of the questions he's been asked are open invitations to do exactly that. This may be why he's taken to giving vague, unhelpful answers to questions. Additionally, Gailey is passionate about winning, which means that each loss takes a big toll on him. If he's asked questions immediately after a heart-wrenching loss, I would expect him to go into "be vague to reporters" mode a little more quickly than might otherwise be the case. If you're feeling the bitterness of defeat, it can be easy to say something negative about someone which you might later regret having said.

I get that we'd all like to see more out of Gailey in these interviews. But he's right about a couple things here.

1.) Our D absolutely sucks at getting teams out of manageable down/distance situations. This is a critical factor for ANY defense and the main reason why great defenses are great. When you are constantly letting teams face 3rd and less than long situations, they have the full playbook available and make you play honest. And this DIRECTLY relates to:

2.) Our lack of pressure from the front four OR blitz. When other teams force you to play honest defense you can't do certain things most of the time. It's that simple. And our inexperience at CB and lack of talent at SS especially, further tie your hands when it comes to deciding whether or not to leave them on an island. A Williams has been burned often enough and G Wilson has been slow in coverage often enough that this is plainly obvious.

Unfortunately, we lack the LB talent to be a pressure defense, both against the run and the pass.

This is not a defense of Wanny at all. I'm just saying it could be a LOT worse if he started gambling when he's very RARELY in a position to do so from a game situation standpoint.

GO BILLS!!!

I think we are very often in a game situation to Blitz.

I think you mean we do not have the personel to blitz?

That is an easy excuse as they haven't even tried to draft a QB to develop. The only QB this regime has drafted was a 7th rounder in 2010, Levi Brown. They haven't even tried to make an effort to bring in a top free agent QB.

You are right tho, just look at the last 3 drafts, they don't know what it takes. I say the real reason is this regime wouldn't know a top rookie QB even if he came up and kicked them in their collective arses.

Jake Locker- Christen Ponder- Andy Dalton-Blane Gabbert- RG3- Brandon Weeden- Ryan Tannehill- Russell Wilson all 8 QB's starting and the bolded are doing well. Not even going to list Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton, and Andrew Luck.

How did Buddy Nix miss on Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson? If he actually knew what he was doing he could have traded up for Ryan Tannehill . But then I suppose its better to have a another 1st round DB on the worst defense in the NFL.

VERY seldom do you draft a franchise QB outside of the first round and "develop" him into an elite, franchise player.

Not sure I implied anything about Nix and Co. not knowing what it takes vis a vis the last three drafts. So I'll ignore that point.

As for starting QBs like Dalton and Wilson, etc. the Bills didn't perceive them as being that "10-15 year guy" that they always talk about. There are as many good reasons for NOT taking them AT THE TIME as there are reasons to say the should have NOW. I don't respect 20/20 hindsight arguments. Besides, those guys and guys like Tannehill, while showing promise, have a long way to go before proving they are elite QBs anyway. But they aren't Fitz, I get it.

Elite FA QBs? No such animal. And spare me the arguments about Manning. He wasn't going anyplace but Denver.

Bottom line, for you or anyone else to suggest Buddy Nix doesn't know the value of elite QB play on a football team is uninformed at best. We all wish we had that guy on our team, nobody more than Nix and Gailey. They'll take him in next year's draft if they think he's there. But they won't reach for the sake of reaching. Nor should they.

GO BILLS!!!

I think we are very often in a game situation to Blitz.

I think you mean we do not have the personel to blitz?

By game situation, I mean down/distance. We SELDOM dictate that important aspect to ANY offense we play. When we could, like against KC and Cleveland, we had success sending 5 guys, although both Cassell and Weeden made us pay a couple times.

And NO, I don't think we have very good personnel at LB, SS, or #2 CB. And we're young at the other CB. This makes Wanny VERY scheme limited by his personnel. Perhaps Wanny needs to trust them more but I can't see how Wilson, A Williams, or ANY of our LBs have earned that trust. They are playing that poorly.

GO BILLS!!!

This to me says that after 12 or 13 games you evaluate if you're going to make a playoff push or tank. I really didn't think that happened and maybe I'm being extreme. Maybe it's nt lose on purpose but don't necessarily try hard to win. Maybe start Brian brohm for a game for example. I can't argue with the strategy but I haven't seen it said.

Maybe he means he only evaluates things after the 12th or 13th victory. He's not used to losing. Yet. B-)

every head coach is going to slide to the side of the ball they come from....Jauron didn't know a thing about offense and Gailey knows little about defense - it's the same for most teams might be the reason there are 6 good teams and everyone else. Actually some of the six are more about being in a weak division. When Mike Tomlin took over the Steelers they didn't need help on D or on O ideally that's what you want as a head coach but those situations are hard to find. Year 3 of an entire rebuild - he puts up points if you read the board here with crap players. Either we have good players and he can't coach or we have marginal players and Chan can coach a little bit - which is it ?

Thank you for posting.

I love the way the great football minds on this board are so much smarter than Buddy and Chan. I also love how now people are saying that he is a good OC but not a good HC. He gets the most out of what we have on offense. Our special teams are pretty darn good. Our defense was entrusted to a guy everyone was excited about. Buddy went out and got the guy who most thought was the premier defensive free agent. It does not necessarily follow that, because our defense has not played the way we want it to that Chan all of a sudden is stupid and incapable of being a good HC.

I am going to reserve judgment until the end of the season on all of this.

Just my two cents.

What better authority than another mediocre QB to say this? "I like a lot of people in the NFL, but half the league is bad coaches and front-office guys."

Please convince me that Gailey and Nix are competent at their current jobs, based on the decisions they've made and the record so far.

Early in the season I thought the coverage was a little soft, then we’re not getting as much rush was we need with the four man rush, we need to get more pressure with the four man rush and the other thing we’ve got to do is stop the run and the 3rd and shorts. That’s the one thing that kills you if you end up in 3rd and less than seven on a regular basis 3rd and less than 7?!?! What? We've come to the point where we have to prevent having a 3rd and LESS THAN SEVEN in order to stop an offense.

Nuts to getting 3rd and 7. What kills us is all the times our D actually has 3rd and long - 3rd and 9, 3rd and 14, 3rd and 8 - AND WE LET THEM CONVERT.

One reason why I send for the "Wambulance" at all the theories our poor D is just psyched out and overworked because of our offense. If you want rest, fellows, EARN IT. Get 3rd and long and then GET OFF THE FIELD.

You know i really liked Chan & the fire he shows at times on the side line , but while i listened to his interview on BB.com the one thing he kept saying was that the players have to be accountable to each other ...

Although that may be true when the hell are they accountable to the BOSS ??

You think for one second that if Mario or any one else on our team came off the field with a half hearted effort that a coach like Harbaugh or Pittsburgs old coach Cower wouldn't be up in grill telling him what a piece of crap he was playing like ???

I thought Wanny was that guy , any time i've seen him on the side line before becoming B/Lo's D coordinator i've seen him screaming on the side lines & pissed off ..

Well where ever he left that passion he needs to go back & get it or just get down on the side lines & get into peoples face & get them motivated B/C so far being accountable to the players just ain't working & something ain't right with a coach not gettin pissed !!!

That's why we didn't like Jauron for goodness sakes !!

Edited by T master

No I love the empty backfield 5 WR sets on 3rd and 3.

Yea me too...it works so often, how could one dislike it?!

Really though, it's surprising a head coach is making statements like that. Does he know he is ultimately responsible for the whole team performance? He may want to care a little more about the having the leagues worst d.

Dear lord, the **** some of you criticize the coaching staff for is ridiculous.

Some points on various things I've heard in this thread:

• Listen to Gailey with competent interviewers - like Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan - and he'll talk about Xs and Os as long as you want.
  • The percentages for an offense to convert is much, much lower at 3rd and 7 or more than it is for 3rd and less than 7.
  • The most successful teams build accountability to each other as teammates. Everyone wants to be a valued member of a winning team. That doesn't come from some sense of accountability to your boss.
  • These guys are professionals. They aren't going to suddenly get passionate for the game from having their coach berate them on national television. If they don't already have a passion for the game of football, then we're quite frankly choosing the wrong people to be on the team in the first place.

That being said, the biggest problem that I've seen is we're not able to get effective pressure with our front 4. It's actually been better with Kelsay in the lineup. Pat Kirwan talked a little bit about that today. Essentially, he indicated that with Kelsay in the lineup, he's our best DLineman at understanding where the linemen are, where the gaps are, and pushing the OL into position to allow our other pass rushing linemen to get good matchups and rushing lanes.

It feels like the biggest thing we're missing is a clear path to making the defense work. The upgraded DL hasn't figured out how to work with each other yet, and given all the injuries, I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon. The linebackers are out of position quite often, and the DBs have issues in coverage. All of these combined are making for a defense that doesn't have any real strengths.

VERY seldom do you draft a franchise QB outside of the first round and "develop" him into an elite, franchise player.

Not sure I implied anything about Nix and Co. not knowing what it takes vis a vis the last three drafts. So I'll ignore that point.

As for starting QBs like Dalton and Wilson, etc. the Bills didn't perceive them as being that "10-15 year guy" that they always talk about. There are as many good reasons for NOT taking them AT THE TIME as there are reasons to say the should have NOW. I don't respect 20/20 hindsight arguments. Besides, those guys and guys like Tannehill, while showing promise, have a long way to go before proving they are elite QBs anyway. But they aren't Fitz, I get it.

Elite FA QBs? No such animal. And spare me the arguments about Manning. He wasn't going anyplace but Denver.

Bottom line, for you or anyone else to suggest Buddy Nix doesn't know the value of elite QB play on a football team is uninformed at best. We all wish we had that guy on our team, nobody more than Nix and Gailey. They'll take him in next year's draft if they think he's there. But they won't reach for the sake of reaching. Nor should they.

GO BILLS!!!

You are simply making excuses for Buddy Nix / Chan Gailey and this regime. I'm not sure why either because at 13-26 this might be the worst GM / HC in franchise history. Even the 2-14 1984-85 Buffalo Bills never fielded a defense as bad as the current one. Considering the majority of the last 3 drafts have been for the defensive side.

The Bills never even made an attempt at Manning or any rookie QB (besides 2010 7th round Brown) the last 3 years, thus furthering my point.

A point was, if Nix is so astute at recognizing QB talent, then why didn't he even make an attempt at Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill? All three teams have a better record then the Bills, and 2 of them are rookies!! Plus any or all 3 could develop into an elite QB, you don't know. All I know is they are winning. Another point here is Nix isn't very astute at recognizing any talent, much less the QB position. The ONLY QB I know they would have taken the last 3 years was Cam Newton, and how is he doing in his second year?

How are the drafts and free agent signings the last 3 years and how is that equating to wins? 100 Million to Mr invisible.

He's just saying he doesn't try to decide how good they are overall as a team, or what players really just aren't as talented as they thought, etc. until they get 3/4 through the year.

I don't have a problem with that. There's damned little to do about personnel anyway mid-season in the NFL, so why bother trying to focus on what you can't do?

IWe get to do that as fans, but we're not on the hook to motivate a team of actual human beings.

For example, as a fan, I think they need to replace most of their LB's - but they can't do anything about that now, so what's the point in them not still trying to coach up guys like Sheppard and see if he has a breakthrough during the season? He has that responsibilty - we don't.

t's not like it's a universal rule - they made a call on Moorman early this year, and on Trent Edwards their first season, but at this point, theiy are out of most options.

A point was, if Nix is so astute at recognizing QB talent, then why didn't he even make an attempt at Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill? All three teams have a better record then the Bills, and 2 of them are rookies!! Plus any or all 3 could develop into an elite QB, you don't know. All I know is they are winning.

Dalton is no big deal. Without Green to heave up air-balls to he would be trash, and that team is carried by their defense.

Seattle has one of the best defenses in the league, and 32 teams passed on Wilson twice. Do i wish they grabbed him in the 3rd, sure, but that's pure hindsight - were you screaming at the TV to grab him?

Tannehill's team ALSO is led by the defense, and Miami has his colege coach on their staff, which has a lot to do with how they had him evaluated higher than other NFL teams.

Yeah - Nix had damned well better draft at least one QB this year starting with the first or second round (I'lll let them pick up "the next Patrick Willis" if they think he's there in the first).

I thought Wanny was that guy , any time i've seen him on the side line before becoming B/Lo's D coordinator i've seen him screaming on the side lines & pissed off ..

Well where ever he left that passion he needs to go back & get it or just get down on the side lines & get into peoples face & get them motivated B/C so far being accountable to the players just ain't working & something ain't right with a coach not gettin pissed !!!

The argument you are nmaiking is a really strong one to get Wanny out of the booth and back in the sideline where he belongs - here's hoping they try that.

Edited by BobChalmers

I think what he means is you just try and win until after the 12th or 13th game and before that don't make big changes. Then adjust after the 12th or 13th game?

Brilliant. Get to 3-9 or 3-10 then make your adjustments for the now meaningless December games.

Poor desperate Bills fan. Without the pick at the end of the Titans game we'd be 4-3 and talking about out the great 4 and out defensive stop at the end of the game that saved the win. Fans are dumb. I'm sick of listening to these stupid rants by fans who's rage is simply fueled by whether the team won or lost. They will adjust and start blitzing once they get some confidence they can leave the corners in man coverage. You notice we are getting gashed at the point of attack but no one is running any fades or screens or reverses against us because all of them have been taken away by Wanny's defense. The challenge is the front 4 needs to be dominant in this defense and they have not been. Wanny was very upfront in saying the front 4 determines the success or failure of the base defense. He has been very very clear on this. That is why they went out and got MW and Anderson and liked Dareus. Well, due to injuries to MW, Anderson, Spencer Johnson this has not worked out so far. Also, I think Dareus is still mourning his brother -- no real fire in him this year. We are all human, after all. Hell, they had to bring Merriman back they are so thin on the D Line. They bet they could stay healthy on the D Line and could keep two kickers. Well that didn't work out, and the punter thing did not work out either so far. They are evolving the team, changingout the old parts and putting new parts in. Look for Brooks to take over for Aaron Williams too. This is a process. Jauron and his crappy tampa 2 defense with its little fast guy scheme is still hurting this team with guys like Moats and Scott still around. You will see LBs and QBs get drafted this year and more progress will be made.

really, i would love to see what hed come up with. despite the bashing on here, at times hes gotten a lot out of a group thats not thaaaaat impressive.

i wish they would invest more on that side of the ball, instead of going so heavy to the D and letting chan sort out the rest.

glenn graham and spiller are the only three draft picks from the first three rounds on the offensive side since hes gotten here. brad smith is the best resume FA on the offensive side. everyone else has been late picks, undrafteds, etc... and hes gotten a lot out of a squad thats lacking raw talent.

compare that to 6 out of 9 top picks to the D, mario, anderson, barnett, edwards (i know he wasnt liked but he was a top free agent that year)

i dont always love his calls, and sometimes the matchups just flat dont work - it happens, but its crazy to think the guy doesnt have a very good football mind, even if you dont think hes a good HC and manager of games/personality etc.

This.

Gailey has gotten a lot of points out of some average players. Despite the Bills scoring only three points against the Niners, they are averaging 24 points a game. They were up 21-7 on the Pats in the third quarter this season, and 21-0 on the Pats in the second game last season. The offense is not the problem on this team.

If the Bills could hold anyone under 24 points a game, they would be a dangerous team.