Could one coach provide so many bad answers in one interview?

Infuriating interview with Chan.

http://wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/14666776

Gailey thinks Williams can be helpful to Dave Wannstedt, “I’m sure he probably can. We’ve not talked about it, I haven’t talked about it with Dave if he’s had that conversation You don't discuss with your DC if he spoke to your $100MM super star about playing?

Early in the season I thought the coverage was a little soft, then we’re not getting as much rush was we need with the four man rush, we need to get more pressure with the four man rush and the other thing we’ve got to do is stop the run and the 3rd and shorts. That’s the one thing that kills you if you end up in 3rd and less than seven on a regular basis 3rd and less than 7?!?! What? We've come to the point where we have to prevent having a 3rd and LESS THAN SEVEN in order to stop an offense.

Dave Wannstedt is a defensive coordinator that around 90% of the time won’t blitz. Gailey said, “We’ve evaluated that and that might be something that we look at as part of our process to try to get better at 3rd down. I'm glad they're evaluating blitzing in week 9, way to get around to that.

“You look at a season and I’ve said this 100 times and you go out and try to win every game and then you get to 12 or 13 and then you evaluate where you are and what you’ve got to do to get where you want to be. I have no idea what he's talking about.

I don’t like to talk about getting games back or losing critical games, to me those are done at the end of the season.” yeah let's talk about those critical loses at the end of the season, not right now.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“You look at a season and I’ve said this 100 times and you go out and try to win every game and then you get to 12 or 13 and then you evaluate where you are and what you’ve got to do to get where you want to be. I have no idea what he's talking about.

I think what he means is you just try and win until after the 12th or 13th game and before that don't make big changes. Then adjust after the 12th or 13th game?

Brilliant. Get to 3-9 or 3-10 then make your adjustments for the now meaningless December games.

I get that we'd all like to see more out of Gailey in these interviews. But he's right about a couple things here.

1.) Our D absolutely sucks at getting teams out of manageable down/distance situations. This is a critical factor for ANY defense and the main reason why great defenses are great. When you are constantly letting teams face 3rd and less than long situations, they have the full playbook available and make you play honest. And this DIRECTLY relates to:

2.) Our lack of pressure from the front four OR blitz. When other teams force you to play honest defense you can't do certain things most of the time. It's that simple. And our inexperience at CB and lack of talent at SS especially, further tie your hands when it comes to deciding whether or not to leave them on an island. A Williams has been burned often enough and G Wilson has been slow in coverage often enough that this is plainly obvious.

Unfortunately, we lack the LB talent to be a pressure defense, both against the run and the pass.

This is not a defense of Wanny at all. I'm just saying it could be a LOT worse if he started gambling when he's very RARELY in a position to do so from a game situation standpoint.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Ever listen to a Belacheat interview. He's so vage you think he is the water boy. Some of the supid questions deserve stupid answers also. Don't be so harsh on our leader. Faith.

Yes I've listened to Belicheck interview. He's vague about injury updates. He's not spouting of that maybe they're looking into blitzing. I lived in the Boston area, and Belicheck had a weekly local tv show where he broke down the prior weeks opponent and talked about where the upcoming matchup's strengths were. Literally just him and a telestrator. And, I hate to say it, but the guy is somewhat likeable and very very very football smart. And no I could never see Chan breaking down game film ever.

Yes I've listened to Belicheck interview. He's vague about injury updates. He's not spouting of that maybe they're looking into blitzing. I lived in the Boston area, and Belicheck had a weekly local tv show where he broke down the prior weeks opponent and talked about where the upcoming matchup's strengths were. Literally just him and a telestrator. And, I hate to say it, but the guy is somewhat likeable and very very very football smart. And no I could never see Chan breaking down game film ever.

You don't think Chan can and does break down game film? Or are you saying he could never do that on his own TV show?

GO BILLS!!!

Sadly, you are right. Chan could not.

Belichek's tv show is great...in the late 80's and 90's Marv used to have a show similar.

Ever listen to a Belacheat interview. He's so vage you think he is the water boy. Some of the supid questions deserve stupid answers also. Don't be so harsh on our leader. Faith.

I am with you but one of the REFRESHING things about Chan has now become incredibly WORRISOME And that is his Candor. I think we all like that he has always been open and honest and been the Anti-Dick (Jauron) when it comes to discussing his team with the media.

The scary thing is.....He is being totally honest. He really is. Doomed. You change things at halftime, not after we get killed by the incredible Offense of the Jets.

He is being honest and I am scared. Can anyone say 7-9?

God bless us.

Go Bills.

havent you heard? hes dumb. duh.

Ironically, Gailey has had some measure of success against Belichick defenses in the past. It would be great to see him work with a top notch QB and receivers but he's been pretty good at schematic design in working with what he has.

GO BILLS!!!

No I love the empty backfield 5 WR sets on 3rd and 3.

see - told you. the prevailing opinion is that he is a moron. not that hes made some bad choices, not that things might not be working out... its that hes utterly dumb. and has had a career in football for 50 years despite not being able to even begin to break down film on his own.

Ironically, Gailey has had some measure of success against Belichick defenses in the past. It would be great to see him work with a top notch QB and receivers but he's been pretty good at schematic design in working with what he has.

GO BILLS!!!

really, i would love to see what hed come up with. despite the bashing on here, at times hes gotten a lot out of a group thats not thaaaaat impressive.

i wish they would invest more on that side of the ball, instead of going so heavy to the D and letting chan sort out the rest.

glenn graham and spiller are the only three draft picks from the first three rounds on the offensive side since hes gotten here. brad smith is the best resume FA on the offensive side. everyone else has been late picks, undrafteds, etc... and hes gotten a lot out of a squad thats lacking raw talent.

compare that to 6 out of 9 top picks to the D, mario, anderson, barnett, edwards (i know he wasnt liked but he was a top free agent that year)

i dont always love his calls, and sometimes the matchups just flat dont work - it happens, but its crazy to think the guy doesnt have a very good football mind, even if you dont think hes a good HC and manager of games/personality etc.

Edited by NoSaint

I like the guy. Think he's done amazing things with a mediocre offense. Would love to see him as our OC next year.

Don't know if that's ever happend in the NFL though. I wouldn't see it as a demotion either. He's a great OC. He (so far) has not made it happen at HC, and appears to separate himself entirely from the defense side of operations.

You guys can think what you want about how brilliant so called megamind Chan Gailey is...

The facts are Gailey has had some of the best RB's in the league for 3 years and yet he continuously tries to force a back up QB to carry the team. The Titans game Gailey finally gave more touches to Spiller and Jackson throughout the game and yet he reverted back to his old pass happy self in the last series. Fitz will NEVER be an elite QB, and yet Gailey call plays like he is.

It has taken 3 years to build a decent O line, and yet they can't stay healthy, the depth is also questionable. The Bills still haven't drafted the franchise QB because they have been busy drafting defensive players so they can have the worst defense in the league. 100 million to a DE that is wasted because neither the DC nor the HC know how to run a 4-3. :doh:

Read what Peter King had to say about his hire here... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/19/mailbag/index.html

Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

Which is a complete and utter horsecrap statement to make as its the stars that make the league. But I now can see why he has stuck with Fitz after reading that paragraph. You need an elite franchise QB to win, top offensive & defensive players, and great coaching...Is it any wonder why the Bills aren't winning

see - told you. the prevailing opinion is that he is a moron. not that hes made some bad choices, not that things might not be working out... its that hes utterly dumb. and has had a career in football for 50 years despite not being able to even begin to break down film on his own.

I agree that some judge him too harshly considering he had retired and someone had to walk into the cornfield and get him off a tractor to work in the NFL again. He's done more breakdown on his Metamucil nutritional facts, or medicare open enrollment than breaking down game film.

Edited by benderbender

You guys can think what you want about how brilliant so called megamind Chan Gailey is...

The facts are Gailey has had some of the best RB's in the league for 3 years and yet he continuously tries to force a back up QB to carry the team. The Titans game Gailey finally gave more touches to Spiller and Jackson throughout the game and yet he reverted back to his old pass happy self in the last series. Fitz will NEVER be an elite QB, and yet Gailey call plays like he is.

It has taken 3 years to build a decent O line, and yet they can't stay healthy, the depth is also questionable. The Bills still haven't drafted the franchise QB because they have been busy drafting defensive players so they can have the worst defense in the league. 100 million to a DE that is wasted because neither the DC nor the HC know how to run a 4-3. :doh:

Read what Peter King had to say about his hire here... http://sportsillustr...lbag/index.html

Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

Which is a complete and utter horsecrap statement to make as its the stars that make the league. But I now can see why he has stuck with Fitz after reading that paragraph. You need an elite franchise QB to win, top offensive & defensive players, and great coaching...Is it any wonder why the Bills aren't winning

The Bills still haven't drafted their franchise QB because they didn't perceive one was available when their turn came up in the draft. That's quite different than saying they would rather draft DBs, etc. instead.

Nix and Gailey have been on the record for a long time regarding the QB issue. When that guy can be taken, they will take him. You make it sound like they don't know that it takes elite QB play to have a long run of success in the league.

That has ALWAYS been the case and even those outside of the profession know that, let alone two guys who've been around the game as long as they have.

GO BILLS!!!

He's done nothing to earn our faith