Football Outsiders Dissects Wanny's Scheme - It's Brutal

Am I the only one who yells at the screen because our safeties give 0 int he way of run support? This guy did a great job of identifying it. Johnson is 190 lbs soak and wet and we dont come up and hit him? Its not Gore, Ridley or Green. Holy **** balls are we soft. From top to bottom. Wannstedt needs to sit down with Dick Lebaue (sp?) and learn how to design some pressure. Has anyone seen a CB or safety blitz this year?? Anyone???

Did the pro game change that much since Wanny has been coaching it?

It evolves.

Sadly, after reading the article above...it reminded me how coaches have to evolve with the game.

I remember reading an article in ESPN magazine when the days of the pocket passers started to fade.

The article was written during the Alex Van Pelt years and demonstrated the stats of the new crop of how defenses were created to stop the likes of "the pocket passer" and focus on a new crop of QB--like, Vick.

Defenses became bigger and faster.

Schemes were enhanced and masked to confuse the pocket passers--like, Marino & Bledsoe.

The game evolved so much in the early 2000's, that NFL teams wanted QB's who can run/pass.

The run on QB's who can maneuver in the pocket were/still are a viable option.

Sadly, Wannestache's defensive scheme peaked during the late 90's and early 2000's, and his coaching has suffered as a result of the evolution of the game.

I gotta say they're pretty much spot on with this. Wannstedt is just being stubborn. I mean there's no way that he can't see the same thing every other person see's when they watch the Bills defense. Gailey has to see it as well, i'm sick of hearing him say "oh well I don't know a thing about defense", that's bull-crap; even if you're an offensive minded coach you have to know about defense's to scheme against them. It doesn't take a defensive guru to notice that rushing 3 and 4 lineman isn't working.

The safeties in run support are horrendous--he's right on. They just sit back on their heels, instead of attacking.

He almost has to play the safeties back given our lack of experience (and talent of A Williams) on the corners. And with our lack of LBs across the board, OCs have been feasting on what we've given them all season.

GO BILLS!!!