Football Outsiders Dissects Wanny's Scheme - It's Brutal

The safeties in run support are horrendous--he's right on. They just sit back on their heels, instead of attacking.

I said something similar to this in the shoutbox. It's sad, really. I hate to bring him up, but Whitner was great in run support. I understand Byrd will never be great in run support, but his job really isn't suppose to be. That falls to the Strong Safety, which Wilson is just not gettting it done this year. I'd almost prefer Scott back there during obvious running downs. That way there is at least some size back there. Wilson is OK, to come in during passing downs or nickel/dime. But then you have the problem of substituting too many players.

In the end, we need better safety play from the SS position.

This is tough to read, folks:

http://www.footballo...tans-over-bills

Ironic that I can't see the font on the page, and it seems to be written (or edited) by a seventh-grader. Not sure if you meant it's tough to read because of the content, the page layout, or the style.

It's hard to read in all 3 aspects . . .

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

I said something similar to this in the shoutbox. It's sad, really. I hate to bring him up, but Whitner was great in run support. I understand Byrd will never be great in run support, but his job really isn't suppose to be. That falls to the Strong Safety, which Wilson is just not gettting it done this year. I'd almost prefer Scott back there during obvious running downs. That way there is at least some size back there. Wilson is OK, to come in during passing downs or nickel/dime. But then you have the problem of substituting too many players.

In the end, we need better safety play from the SS position.

Dumped Poz and Whitner and the run defense went completely out the window, those two not looking so bad now, huh!

The most glaring thing for me reading this is just how full of crap Gailey is.

Yes, you read that right. Here is why:

He claims to know nothing of defense, yet he designs offensive schemes to attack defenses. He can tell just from what he knows of offense just how craptastic Wanny's defense is designed. He is covering for his bad hire, IMO...

It really annoys me that Wanny continues to let teams just pick his defense apart. Where is the imagination? I'd rather be aggressive and lose then sit back and hope the offense cant make a play...wasnt that how Jauron coached defense?

Barnett isnt an ideal 4-3 MLB but he is their best overall LB and should be moved back to the middle.

start blitzing and play more bump and run instead of having the corners 10-12 yards off the line

stop playing so much soft man coverage...how many times have we seen teams run simple 5-10 yard square outs play after play

Edited by Max997

The most glaring thing for me reading this is just how full of crap Gailey is.

Yes, you read that right. Here is why:

He claims to know nothing of defense, yet he designs offensive schemes to attack defenses. He can tell just from what he knows of offense just how craptastic Wanny's defense is designed. He is covering for his bad hire, IMO...

exactly