So was there any explanation about that pseudo first down?

Rubes

Sorry if already discussed, I didn't see anything...

Without Nick Mendola's permission (which was taken from a screengrab from @TrendingBuffalo), I'm linking to the image of the measurement that was called a first down. This was the play that Chan challenged and failed to overturn.

large.jpeg

So seriously, under which set of bizarro NFL rules is this considered a first down? Anyone?

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres got to be some explanation that we just havent encountered. or that from our angle it looked off but was barely touching. i have to believe that if it was legit short, the refs couldnt possibly mess that up.... could they?

If you look at the picture (and I noticed it during the game), the ref is standing behind the ball, why he didn't line up to see it from the side I have no idea. Inexcusable.

If you look at the picture (and I noticed it during the game), the ref is standing behind the ball, why he didn't line up to see it from the side I have no idea. Inexcusable.

is the camera angle straight though? if you swing it around to exactly dead on, maybe the tip of the ball barely got there?

not saying it was the right call, just trying to figure out how something so easy could end up a head scratcher.

is the camera angle straight though? if you swing it around to exactly dead on, maybe the tip of the ball barely got there?

not saying it was the right call, just trying to figure out how something so easy could end up a head scratcher.

The camera angle's not straight. I've seen another one, though, that's straighter and clearer. And I still think it was a bad spot, which makes the point rather moot.

How many times are we told that we came out on the bad side of things because we were looking at it from the wrong angle? This is the homerun throwback all over again - in some sort of alternate reality the rules of physics change and we learly didn't see what we saw....

Not only did the ball look short against the chain, but the replay review looked conclusive from the overhead angle that the ball carrier was a good yard short of the 1st down. So the Bills got hosed inexplicably, twice! on the same play.

There was at least 3 or so plays yesterday (and Tasker correctly pointed this out) where the linesman marked the ball, then as he walked closer to the middle of the field to place the ball for measurement, he walked on a slight angle, placing the ball closer to a 1st down than it should have been. Very frustrating.

Not only did the ball look short against the chain, but the replay review looked conclusive from the overhead angle that the ball carrier was a good yard short of the 1st down. So the Bills got hosed inexplicably, twice! on the same play.

There was at least 3 or so plays yesterday (and Tasker correctly pointed this out) where the linesman marked the ball, then as he walked closer to the middle of the field to place the ball for measurement, he walked on a slight angle, placing the ball closer to a 1st down than it should have been. Very frustrating.

that ill agree with. it seemed like he was stumbling around out there on the spots sometimes.

as far as the chain measurement here, ill stick with the if you swing the camera a few degrees to a straight shot its likely much closer looking.

that ill agree with. it seemed like he was stumbling around out there on the spots sometimes.

as far as the chain measurement here, ill stick with the if you swing the camera a few degrees to a straight shot its likely much closer looking.

Yeah I noticed this also, annoying!

I dont think I've ever seen that much daylight between the stick and the ball and have it called a first down in all of my time watching football 20+ years, angle not-withstanding. I think it was a horrible call, it was not a first down, they screwed the pooch...

The camera angle's not straight. I've seen another one, though, that's straighter and clearer. And I still think it was a bad spot, which makes the point rather moot.

Take a long look at that. The camera angle is not straight but it's not from the end zone. Even looking square to the field, the ball is not ahead of the marker. It's pretty clear.

When I saw it yesterday, I thought what you said, but the above photo makes me thing differently. WTF?

And yes, spot was insane. As that ref walked out from the sideline, he kept tracking upfield from where the ball was.

Edited by John Adams

One of the disadvantages of being a **** team that nobody in the country cares about playing another **** team that nobody cares about is that the network sends the bare minimum of cameras to cover the game, so you end up with ****ty angles and unclear replays.

Edited by Pondslider

I think the measurement of ten yards is the yellow chain, not the bar that is holding the chain. They made it to the end of the chain. no way a ref would mess up that call.

seriously? so they have to look at the end of the chain, not the stick? You place the end of the chain on the approximate spot of the ball? You'd think that wouold come up once or twice when they measured, no?

i think it's to the end of the officials thumb, which in this case, was in his a** just moments before.

How many times are we told that we came out on the bad side of things because we were looking at it from the wrong angle? This is the homerun throwback all over again - in some sort of alternate reality the rules of physics change and we learly didn't see what we saw....

Zapruder had a bad camera angle as well. Just ask Arlen Specter (RIP) with a better angle you clearly see the fatal shot as coming from the Depository and not the grassy knoll.

I think the measurement of ten yards is the yellow chain, not the bar that is holding the chain. They made it to the end of the chain. no way a ref would mess up that call.

No, the first down is measured from the inside of the bar