Pay Jairus Byrd now!!!

Because midyear contract extensions have worked out so well for the Bills. :nana:

We need to pay the guy but let's wait until closer to the season's end.

Point well taken, as long as he never reaches FA status. He's been a good player since he began his Bills' career. Can't afford to let him get away.

first good game in eons and now we have to pay the guy!

He basically intercepted the same pass twice by 2 different QBs...Show me more before you PAY DA MAN!

He forced two fumbles against the Pats....guess you forgot that in the midst of the debacle.

Bottom line is that he's one of the very few on D who has a nose for the ball.

first good game in eons and now we have to pay the guy!

He basically intercepted the same pass twice by 2 different QBs...Show me more before you PAY DA MAN!

Bryd is one of the best at his position and he's a great guy. We finally saw what the impact of a good pass rush could do for him. He's a stud.

Whenever some of your draft picks work out reasonably well, and the team wins a few, the guys whose contract is up at yearend have leverage. Byrd plays really well at times, and is a keeper. But, Levitre and Urbik are also in that league. Nix can't afford to overpay any one guy (well, maybe one), because he has to keep the whole team together within a reasonable NFL salary structure. That is under the cap rules...that foster parity within the NFL. It might happen that a great young safety is worth more to one club than another....or any other good player in a contract year as well. I believe that Nix knows how to handle this stuff with the help of the money guy in Detroit (who isn't the devil, totally anyhow) So, I hope these great players remain Bills, but I don't want overpayment on an emotional basis based on one good game. I do admit, he is the only producer in the db crop. Nobody else has gotten gamewinning plays. Have expected the safeties to do some of that, but have been disappointed.

Levitre first....

They HAVE to do it this way, I agree. They need to sign Levitre now, and then they can franchise Byrd. They can't franchise Levitre, because his salary would be average of top 5 o linemen. Not just guards, so he'd be getting top left tackle money as a guard!

Levitre first....

I agree, because the franchise tag for a safety is a lot less than an offensive lineman. Right now tackles, guards, and centers are all grouped in the same category. If they resign Levitre, at least the bills could use the franchise tag on Byrd. I would love to have both of them signed before the season ended however.