Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, when I say "speed" as it relates to a middle linebacker, I am NOT talking about 40 time and neither are scouts. Although 40 time is nice, the "speed" I'm talking about is lateral and to the hole, not straight line over a 40 yard distance. And his ability to operate in space has little to do with 40 speed. Is he agile enough to avoid getting caught up in traffic, can he make quick, precise drops in coverage, etc.? Speed for an MLB also means how fast he is in recognition.

40 time is great for WRs but has little to do with being a middle linebacker.

GO BILLS!!!

Just to be clear, when I say "speed" as it relates to a middle linebacker, I am NOT talking about 40 time and neither are scouts. Although 40 time is nice, the "speed" I'm talking about is lateral and to the hole, not straight line over a 40 yard distance. And his ability to operate in space has little to do with 40 speed. Is he agile enough to avoid getting caught up in traffic, can he make quick, precise drops in coverage, etc.? Speed for an MLB also means how fast he is in recognition.

40 time is great for WRs but has little to do with being a middle linebacker.

GO BILLS!!!

So does that mean your opinion will depend on his 3 cone drill? Or are you open to viewing the game tape and his upcoming bowl game before deciding?

So does that mean your opinion will depend on his 3 cone drill? Or are you open to viewing the game tape and his upcoming bowl game before deciding?

I haven't decided anything. He seems to have all the intangibles you can ask for and they go a long way to be sure. Of course his three-cone will be an important athletic measurement for the position; much more so than his 40 time.

But there is no substitute for his game performances. He's been great at times, but not the dominating factor you'd hope to see given the hype, IMHO.

Like I said, the 'Bama game will be his greatest challenge. BY FAR the best OL he will have faced, not to mention the RBs. He'll be looked at closely within those matchups. Moreso than his ability to drop into coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

The only thing Te'o has over those two is leadership, and that's an intangible trait. Brown is a better cover guy than Te'o, no question in my mind about that. A lot of Te'o's interception came off receiver hands or deflections. Very similar to Lavonte David, if you play in the Big 12 you better be able to cover and Brown can certainly do that. In ND's D Te'o doesn't really run down the seam with TE's, that's Danny Spond's job who is a much more athletic OLB.

Minter's an underrated player, no one really talks about him but he's LSU's best and most consistent defender. It doesn't mean Te'o's a bad player, but he isn't this transcended player some make him out to be. No question, he's a damn good leader, but you only take an inside LB top 5-10 if he's a Patrick Willis type athlete/talent, and Te'o isn't that.

Remember Rolando McClain, Te'o's a much better player than McClain in the run game but I'm not sure he's that much better in pass coverage.

Hawk's a good comparison, Te'o and Hawk are similar college players, would you take Hawk top 5? Probably not even though he's a solid NFL player. That's what I feel Te'o is, a solid player but not a guy you take top 5-10. Kuechly's a much better cover LB than Te'o as well, or was in the college.

I agree te'o along ND has been hyped all year long by ESPN, people comparing him to Ray lewis are on complete drugs they are no where near the same talent. He is one of the worst Linebackers I have ever seen try to shed blocks and this is at a COLLEGE LEVEL. He isn't even the best defender in his team and should be thankful for the D-line in front him. Espn does a good job hyping players come draft time can't wait...

I agree te'o along ND has been hyped all year long by ESPN, people comparing him to Ray lewis are on complete drugs they are no where near the same talent. He is one of the worst Linebackers I have ever seen try to shed blocks and this is at a COLLEGE LEVEL. He isn't even the best defender in his team and should be thankful for the D-line in front him. Espn does a good job hyping players come draft time can't wait...

Thank you. I cannot stand the hype. Just wish people would do their own research and not buy into 'expert' opinions!

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this interview has been covered before, but this kid is something special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao109a38uVY

If his athleticism on the pro level comes close to his heart and character, we would be insane to pass.

Manti Te'o@MTeo_5

Sad to hear one of the greats retired today.Thank you ray lewis for inspiring me and athletes around the world to be the best we can be! #52

Edited by filthymcnasty08

He's a great player and seems to be a great man. Great emotion in this interview...

But I have a serious question: Can anybody name a soft-spoken linebacker that dominated the game? All of the linebackers that have been great that I can think of are loud-mouths.

He's a great player and seems to be a great man. Great emotion in this interview...

But I have a serious question: Can anybody name a soft-spoken linebacker that dominated the game? All of the linebackers that have been great that I can think of are loud-mouths.

You mean like Jack Ham, Ray Nitschke, Mike Singletary? Guys like that?

Ryan Fitzpatrick is also a HUGE character guy, how's that worked out for us?

Why? Really, why? This has nothing to do with him, so why? Have some decency and delete your post.

Teo is a damn good player. Love seeing guys like this come into the league. The Bills would be lucky to grab him, but I don't think they will.

Edited by Kevin

Ok so draft 2013, should really be the year that the Bills draft a QB with their first pick of the first round.

However if for some reason the draft doesn't work that they need to get their defensive QB of the future.

This kid looks special, he is a leader, he plays hard, he won't allow slackers on his team. He seems like he could make everyone on the team better.

I've been watching all season after this game for me its official the dude has NFL stud written all over him.

Did you realize the level of competition he was playing against all year? I will have an open mind while watching him against Alabama. If he comes up big then I will bye into the hype. My guess is he is swallowed up by their O-line which even though very very good still is nothing like he will see in the NFL. That being said I said the same thing about Kuechly and he looks the part of a great LB so far. I was wrong on him.

I'm not sure what a draft board in October has to do with where he's drafted, or if he's actually a top 20 player. Jimmy Clausen was a 1st round lock to many, how'd that go?

I'll say this, Manti Te'o can't hold Lavonte David's jock and he went in the 2nd round, I have other comps but why get into it. I think he's a 2nd day pick, that's not a bad thing, plenty of good players go in the second or even third.

Rolf looks like your magic 8ball was wrong

Yeah that's great but can he cover Wes Welker or Rob Gronkowski in the flat? If he can't I don't care if he spends his evenings texting Jesus.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is also a HUGE character guy, how's that worked out for us?

So....every player with high character has to account for the utter failure of Ryan Fitzpatrick before they can be judged on their own?

So....every player with high character has to account for the utter failure of Ryan Fitzpatrick before they can be judged on their own?

So a guy who graduates from Harvard, makes the NFL as a 7th round pick, becomes a solid backup QB, threws more tds than ints in all 3 of seasons as a starter is an utter failure? :doh:

As for Te'o, he should have won the Heisman. He carried a very average ND team to the title game. I would have zero problem if neither Smith or Barkley are there, drafting Te'O 8th. Buffalo should be known as a great defensive team. Plus, we need more Samoans.

So a guy who graduates from Harvard, makes the NFL as a 7th round pick, becomes a solid backup QB, threws more tds than ints in all 3 of seasons as a starter is an utter failure? :doh:

As for Te'o, he should have won the Heisman. He carried a very average ND team to the title game. I would have zero problem if neither Smith or Barkley are there, drafting Te'O 8th. Buffalo should be known as a great defensive team. Plus, we need more Samoans.

Utter failure as a human being? no. It's nice he has that degree from Harvard and busted his A- to get to where he got. Nobody doubts the man's character and smarts. Sure is likeable too.

He is, however, a failure as the Buffalo Bills starting QB....an utter failure. His TD to INT ratio is a great stat line....so what? Those INT's came at the most critical times and cost us games....not A game....SEVERAL games.

This thread isn't supposed to devolve into another nauseating Fitz debate...

Teo is perfect for a 3-4 defense, not us, unfortunately. Unless of course we want to just skip back to the 3-4 as the defense dujour for the next coach on the carousel and make a four or five year plan for rebuilding. Teo doesn't have the physical makeup for a 4-3. I see him going to Pittsburgh.

Did you realize the level of competition he was playing against all year? I will have an open mind while watching him against Alabama. If he comes up big then I will bye into the hype. My guess is he is swallowed up by their O-line which even though very very good still is nothing like he will see in the NFL. That being said I said the same thing about Kuechly and he looks the part of a great LB so far. I was wrong on him.

I don't get the Strength of Schedule hate for Notre Dame.

@Michigan State

Michigan

Stanford

@ Oklahoma

USC

#27 overall strength of schedule with a peak of #6 overall Strength of Schedule before some teams went haywire, *cough*cough* USC *cough*cough* Michigan.

Either way. I wasn't a big Kulchey fan either and he looks like a stud. I think Te'O's college play is heads and shoulders above Kulchey's college play.

So I'm sticking with my earlier statement. The Guy looks like a stud.

That being said, big players may big plays in Big Games.

Te'O has the biggest game of his life coming up. I too am interested to see how he measures up.