Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Te'O has less tackles this year than the last couple, but the offense has been on the field more as they have actually been leading scoring drives, hence an appearance in the BCS Championship. Te'O also has 7 picks which is unheard of for a LB in NCAA football. He has more INT's than any of the top CB prospects in the nation who see many more passes thrown their way. He is an unquestioned leader of the defense, has the range/speed to drop back in coverage, is a sure tackler, and a student of the game. He is everything you want in a "QB of the defense".

He is a playmaker pure and simple. That's not taught and you have it or you don't.

Teo would've been a top 20 pick had he come out last year. He only improved his stock and in the meantime, earned a trip to NYC for the heisman final and a national title birth

7 ints, leadership, smart with a passion for football. How could you not want this?

Also- Notre played the PAC 12 champs, some tough competiton from the big 10, the preseason #1 on the road, and beat Oklahoma on the road. Do you guys even watch college football that make those ridiculous statements?

He is a playmaker pure and simple. That's not taught and you have it or you don't.

Teo would've been a top 20 pick had he come out last year. He only improved his stock and in the meantime, earned a trip to NYC for the heisman final and a national title birth

7 ints, leadership, smart with a passion for football. How could you not want this?

Also- Notre played the PAC 12 champs, some tough competiton from the big 10, the preseason #1 on the road, and beat Oklahoma on the road. Do you guys even watch college football that make those ridiculous statements?

Leadership and smart football is nice. I'm just saying...I personally won't buy into all the hype until the Championship game. I'm not knocking what he has done, I'm purely playing devils advocate and checking all blind spots

Leadership and smart football is nice. I'm just saying...I personally won't buy into all the hype until the Championship game. I'm not knocking what he has done, I'm purely playing devils advocate and checking all blind spots

1. You're certainly knocking what he's accomplished thus far by dismissing it as "hype".

2. You're asking someone to convince you that T'eo is a "100% sure thing". Who has ever stated he is a 100% sure thing? No player has ever fit that bill.

3. You're withholding judgement on a player's 3 year career as a starter until you see what he does in one more game? That's pretty silly. This smells like yet another example of the 'college players accomplishments only count if they are playing Alabama' rationale.

If you want to play devil's advocate, why don't you articulate what you don't like about his game? He's certainly not perfect.

Fair enough- it's not hype. When you get to the nfl level, effort and passion are huge traits that seperate the elite. I think he's the most sure thing in awhile. I'm not saying he's a hall of famer yet, but you will get all effort guy with pro bowl potential and a nose for the football. I think we need to draft this guy

Good points, I admit I only took into account the statistics he's recorded. I think the National Championship game will be a true test. Again, I like the guy. I just want to see some evidence he can actually play with the best

He's playing at the highest level he can possibly play without being a professional...He will be fine in the NFL.. You stick him at the Mike position and that's where he will stay for the next 12-15 years barring serious injury. I wonder how many people would still be questioning his ability if he would've selected USC over Notre Dame like everyone thought he would. Notre Dame played 12 FBS Division 1 opponents this season. There wasn't any FCS teams sandwiched between the bye week or scheduled for so-called breaks throughout the season like Alabama, Florida and a number of other programs...Te'o will be fine.

I look at a guy like AJ Hawk who was supposed to be the next great one and is a solid player but not great. He came out of a big school playing great competition and all that. Then I look at a guy like Kuechly who came out of a bad BC team in the ACC and he is a monster for the Panthers. I swear our defense would be top ten if he fell one more spot to us.

Could you expand your argument...

The only thing Te'o has over those two is leadership, and that's an intangible trait. Brown is a better cover guy than Te'o, no question in my mind about that. A lot of Te'o's interception came off receiver hands or deflections. Very similar to Lavonte David, if you play in the Big 12 you better be able to cover and Brown can certainly do that. In ND's D Te'o doesn't really run down the seam with TE's, that's Danny Spond's job who is a much more athletic OLB.

Minter's an underrated player, no one really talks about him but he's LSU's best and most consistent defender. It doesn't mean Te'o's a bad player, but he isn't this transcended player some make him out to be. No question, he's a damn good leader, but you only take an inside LB top 5-10 if he's a Patrick Willis type athlete/talent, and Te'o isn't that.

Remember Rolando McClain, Te'o's a much better player than McClain in the run game but I'm not sure he's that much better in pass coverage.

I look at a guy like AJ Hawk who was supposed to be the next great one and is a solid player but not great. He came out of a big school playing great competition and all that. Then I look at a guy like Kuechly who came out of a bad BC team in the ACC and he is a monster for the Panthers. I swear our defense would be top ten if he fell one more spot to us.

Hawk's a good comparison, Te'o and Hawk are similar college players, would you take Hawk top 5? Probably not even though he's a solid NFL player. That's what I feel Te'o is, a solid player but not a guy you take top 5-10. Kuechly's a much better cover LB than Te'o as well, or was in the college.

Edited by bouds

Who cares about linebackers. Draft two QBs with the first two picks next year. Be a physical team, run the ball with CJ and Fred and develop the better QB slowly but surely.

Draft two QBs and not only you would have improved the position but you would guarantee hope to the ticket holders.

Notre Damers do not have a good track record of being good NFLers. For every really good one there are 20 that never should have been drafted.

When we took Kelly with our second pick in 83, we took someone from Notre Dame with our first pick, sure we traded him for ferragamo but we did get Kelly, so maybe we can get Teo then a hall of fame QB.