How can a QB underperform with such a gifted O-line?

He's averaging a meager sack a game, and three came from the NE game. On many, many plays he has ample time to find his WR and make the correct throw. I think this is the biggest case for changing QBs. You could argue the play-calling is poor, but under-thrown balls and bad decisions are inexcusable. There are QBs in the NFL having success with a lot less in front of them. I know fingers need to be pointed in a lot of directions on this team, but on the field it starts with the QB.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, everyone who said 'if he had a good oline he would be a better qb' is startin gto quit that talk to.

Fitz just is not an elite QB.

He is decent. IF the Bills could run the ball and play defense, which was the blue print that Nix was trying to build, then the Bills would have success.

The more pressure put on Fitz to 'out shoot' another team, the results will often times be bad. .

The Oakland game and N.E. at home last year were a long time ago.

Fitz has never been all that. But a year ago he was serviceable and then some (at least occasionally). He has regressed.

Clearly, the Plan A isn't there, but I think that it was a good plan, poorly implemented: beef up the D to lower the scores and pressure on the O (which never happened obviously). Beef up the O line and take pressure off the QB with a running game and a line that could, well, handle pressure (which was what happened until the injuries). And turn Fitz into the caretaker role, which is his ceiling anyway.

So the D thing didn't work out. Still flummoxed there. The O line thing did and then it didn't. Which can be attributed to injuries. But Fitz isn't even up to being a caretaker right now. He is underperforming my low-to-middling expectations for him.

And I don't know why that is. But he is not the same quarterback he was last year.

kj

I would not describe the Bills O line as gifted. That said I remain suprised there is no mention at all of the new QB coach Lee and his impact on Fitz.

He is really helping isn't he? Another example of a poor coaching selection IMO.

The 2012 Bills were built to hold the opponents' scoring down and to score enough points to win. For all the complaining about Fitz, the offense has held their end of the bargain in 4 of 5 games, while the defense has been gouged for 40+ points in 3 losses. I'll worry more about Fitz if the defense ever arrives. When Freddy, CJ, Urbik and Glen are healthy, this offense is a force provided Gailey accepts what they are ... a run first powerhouse. I'm not defending Fitz, just saying that he's not the reason for the 3 losses, and focusing on him distracts from the root cause for why this team seems so hopeless right now.

I would not describe the Bills O line as gifted. That said I remain suprised there is no mention at all of the new QB coach Lee and his impact on Fitz.

He is really helping isn't he? Another example of a poor coaching selection IMO.

Not everyone can be coached up. His arm stretch and accuracy in passes over 15 yards is among the worst I've ever seen. You can't suck blood from a stone.

The 2012 Bills were built to hold the opponents' scoring down and to score enough points to win. For all the complaining about Fitz, the offense has held their end of the bargain in 4 of 5 games, while the defense has been gouged for 40+ points in 3 losses. I'll worry more about Fitz if the defense ever arrives. When Freddy, CJ, Urbik and Glen are healthy, this offense is a force provided Gailey accepts what they are ... a run first powerhouse. I'm not defending Fitz, just saying that he's not the reason for the 3 losses, and focusing on him distracts from the root cause for why this team seems so hopeless right now.

Problems are problems. Fitz is a problem. The defense is a problem. Our coaching is a problem. All three need to be fixed. The longer it takes to fitz all 3, the longer it takes for us to be a contender. All 3 are big issues. All 3 need to be addressed. Just because fitz is being discussed as an issue, doesn't mean he is the only problem. It doesn't "distract" anyone from anything. Née need a new QB. We need to fix the defense. We need better coaching. Period.

I think this may actually be some of the problem with Fitz right now. They need to stop trying to make him something he's not and just let him go out there and do his thing. The results really can't be much worse

He's averaging a meager sack a game, and three came from the NE game. On many, many plays he has ample time to find his WR and make the correct throw. I think this is the biggest case for changing QBs. You could argue the play-calling is poor, but under-thrown balls and bad decisions are inexcusable. There are QBs in the NFL having success with a lot less in front of them. I know fingers need to be pointed in a lot of directions on this team, but on the field it starts with the QB.

That is where you and several others are wrong, Fitz is not underperforming. What you see is all you are ever going to get from him. He is a bottom 5 NFL quarterback and will never be anything more. It might be underperforming if he were at least an average to above average QB, but he isn't. You can't take a VW Beetle into a Nascar race and say it is underperforming because it can't keep up with the "real" racecars.

Fitz has no arm, its as simple as that

I am finally done making excuses for Fitz and believing he can be "the guy." However ... any QB of a team whose defense surrenders long TD drives, and lots of them, is going to have a difficult time playing catch-up in a predictable pass-happy offense. Again ... not giving excuses; only offering possible explanations. When the defense performs well, Fitz has peformed well. Go back to all of last year and this season's first 5 weeks ... the games we've won, our D played very well. The games we've lost, our D was terrible. It's not a coincidence. I still think Fitz is weak-armed and inaccurate and will never be the reason we win games. We beat crappy teams and the few good teams we beat, well those wins can be attributed to when the D shows up (which is rarely). Just my dos centavos.

Easy, he can't make simple throws to wide open receivers that every other starting QB makes in their sleep. He has left at least 6 TDs out there from bad throws and several more big plays. Half of them turned into interceptions. Doesn't matter how much time he gets if he can't make simple throws more than 20 yards downfield...

Edited by matter2003

we've played 5 weeks. our backups are thigpen and jackson. Fitz is the starter for the rest of the season. Accept it and move on or drive yourself mad is the best advice I can give.

Easy, he can't make simple throws to wide open receivers that every other starting QB makes in their sleep. He has left at least 6 TDs out there from bad throws and several more big plays. Half of them turned into interceptions. Doesn't matter how much time he gets if he can't make simple throws more than 20 yards downfield...

Every QB misses throws. You know it, so stop with the lunacy. Just last week Matt Ryan threw a screen pass right to the opposing player. It happens. 6 more TD's and fitz would have 18 through 5 games..that doesn't happen for a reason, and the reason is that every QB misses passes (some more than others obviously..but no one here is arguing that he's ELITE..he's about average with flashes of being above average and other days being below average = average). Lets move on from this convo.

(also, both TD passes to chandler against NE were 20+)

Edited by bobobonators

The problem is that a defense can game plan to stop a offense when they know they dont have to worry about the deep throw......ever

That is what we are facing right now.....I cant see it from my TV but I get visions of TJ Graham running WIDE open deep play after play.....and the defense pretty much ignoring him.

If you can complete deep throws....the underneath stuff loosens up.

we've played 5 weeks. our backups are thigpen and jackson. Fitz is the starter for the rest of the season. Accept it and move on or drive yourself mad is the best advice I can give.

Every QB misses throws. You know it, so stop with the lunacy. Just last week Matt Ryan threw a screen pass right to the opposing player. It happens. 6 more TD's and fitz would have 18 through 5 games..that doesn't happen for a reason, and the reason is that every QB misses passes (some more than others obviously..but no one here is arguing that he's ELITE..he's about average with flashes of being above average and other days being below average = average). Lets move on from this convo.

(also, both TD passes to chandler against NE were 20+)

You are right, every QB misses a throw every once in awhile, but not every 3rd pass thrown is a mile off mark like Fitz' are. For every pass Fitz throws that you say has flashes of Elite there are 5 passes that make you wonder why he is in the NFL.

when i'm watching the game and the camera pans to fitz stepping back for a pass and then he releases and the camera quickly pans to the WR, i brace myself every time. Will it be underthrown, tipped, picked, overthrown. I shouldnt have to have that thought EVERY TIME HE STEPS BACK TO THROW. and I DO. and i watch the game at a bar with about 15 other Bills fans, and they all share the same sentiment.

Another thread about the QB when the defense just gave up 600+ yards to a running team :doh:

Chan Gailey has been trying to magically transform a backup QB into Tom Brady and it isn't working, It never worked and it never will. The Bills have a good O line on the left side and sub par right side. The ONLY reason the O line looks half way decent is because Fitz can get rid of the ball so quickly.

Wanna blame it all on the QB,,,ok go ahead. Yet its the HC who keeps calling for shotgun 4-5 WR passing plays with only one good WR, and a back up QB.

I think it's worse than not helping, he broke Fitz. I was a big Fitz fan, even during his slide last year. But now there is nothing to defend. I have to think a huge chunk of the blame has to lie with Lee. Maybe he is overthinking his motions or whatever, I don't know. All I know is they have to put Lee back under that rock they found him under.

We run an offense that would be perfect for a QB like chad pennington. Someone who is accurate and makes quick decisions.

Fitz is only one of those things.

no we don't. we try and stretch the field (something pennington was never able to do) and clearly fitzpatrick can't do it with enough consistency to make this team a playoff contender.

this offense would be perfect for anyone who can throw the ball with velocity and accuracy past 25-30 yards down the field.

the quarterback for this offense doesnt even have to be particularly mobile because they pass blocking is stellar.

with that being said, i think cam newton (even though he's super mobile) would be the best fit.