Who will be HC next year?

And Stewart's first offensive coordinator with the Steelers was ___?

That's beside the point. People say (rightly or wrongly) that Chan should get canned for sticking with Fitz. Point is, Chan hitched his wagon to Fitz for 3 years. Cowher hitched his to Stewart for 6. Going to Cowher b/c your coach can't assess QB talent is like electing Bill Clinton b/c your Prez won't stop banging the interns.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's cut our losses and get Haslett, a guy who bleeds Buffalo, red white and blue, and can at the very least add some credibility. Chan is clueless and even worse he is guilty of hiring a guy in Wanny that he owes a favor. That alone is reason for firing him. Ralph do the right thing for once before you meet your maker.

Not a good idea, i like chan and it would'nt be smart to start over AGAIN, he'll turn us into contenders by next year if we can stay healthy.

I don't see how anyone who blames Chan for going with Fitz could, in the next breath, call for Bill Cowher.

Sure, Cowher wouldn't be the worst, but he gets a lot of credit that is better attributed to the organization. Steelers were good before & after him. And let us not forget, this is the guy who hitched his wagon to Kordell Frickin Stewart.

He had what should have been the perennial SB favorites except for his QB who got replaced by Tommy Maddux. And he stuck with the guy for six years.

If not for a solid organization with great players & solid DC I don't think Cowher goes down as anything special.

Cowher as noted was surrounded by a top notch FO. Plus, I believe he has made his position clear on Buffalo. His wife's passing aside I don't see him here and, he would want total control. That in itself Ralph would never allow.

That's beside the point. People say (rightly or wrongly) that Chan should get canned for sticking with Fitz. Point is, Chan hitched his wagon to Fitz for 3 years. Cowher hitched his to Stewart for 6. Going to Cowher b/c your coach can't assess QB talent is like electing Bill Clinton b/c your Prez won't stop banging the interns.

Then again, it isn't so neatly separable. Let's grant that Cowher was an idiot to stick with Stewart as his QB. Is it possible that Cowher did not do this purely based on the stupidity in his own head? Might he have been deceived by his coaching staff? Maybe even just a little?

The reality is that managers often have to rely on the opinions of their subordinates and make less than fully informed decisions. Now, Chan Gailey has had a history of sticking with a so-so QB, trying repeatedly to coach these guys up, as if there is some taboo in trying to raise the level of the competition at the position. So, if Chan gushed about how he thought Kordell was the next Elway, etc. it has to be allowed that this may have influenced a moron like Cowher (recall that was a given). B-)

Stick with Chan, give him a QB, he's made Fitzpatrick a average QB imagine what he could do with an average to good QB. On defense the 2nd half of the season we will see improvement, we need playmaking linebackers! Give Dave a zack Thomas like player and see the improvements next year.

Chip Kelly would be my vote. Not normally high on college coaches but what I've read and heard about Chip gas been impressive.

Second that motion and call for a vote. He wouldn't come cheap and turned down the Bucs. he is NFL ready, and has now proven he can also coach and build a defense. Besides his off the charts offenses. Buffalo would probably be his 32nd NFL choice but money can change that.

I'm in with Gailey. I think his biggest fault is having faith in bad players. If we had a descent deep ball in our arsenal, we would all love his play calling. He asks Fitz to do to much. Draft a strong arm, ballsy QB and our offense would be scary. Big TE, back field that can do anything, deep threat, and a guy who can get open on anybody. Get us a damn quarterback.

#1- chan is going nowhere......he's good thru 2013.

#2- in order for a "big name" coach to come in, buddy would have to go also, as that "big name" coach would want "final" personnel decisions......thats not happening anytime soon.

#3- i would think that Doug Whaley will take over for Nix as GM when buddy hangs it up. In that scenario, your not getting a so called big name coach. candidates like Perry Fewell are more likely.

I think Fewell might be the #1 Candidate should the Bills dump Gailey...Which I doubt they will...

But someone remind me...Why is Perry Fewell not the DC in Buffalo right now? How is that decision looking now? In hindsight I think Nix and Gailey would have (and should have) begged Fewell to stick around...It's not like anyone was going to give Perry a HC job...The Bills could have made him Asst HC at least...He's most definitely a solid up-and-coming Defensive Coach, and he was FAR more qualified than Edwards...I mean WAY more qualified...And we had him...Beautiful! B-)

Im a broken record: Marc Trestman

http://en.wikipedia....i/Marc_Trestman

I also trumpeted Trestman numerous times before the Bills settled on Gailey.

I think he has sterling credentials and is one of the elite offensive strategists and quarterback gurus.

The only thing about Trestman as I recall is that he's had a bit of a Lou Saban-like vagabondesque coaching career.

I also trumpeted Trestman numerous times before the Bills settled on Gailey.

I think he has sterling credentials and is one of the elite offensive strategists and quarterback gurus.

The only thing about Trestman as I recall is that he's had a bit of a Lou Saban-like vagabondesque coaching career.

Trestman is a very interesting candidate. I've been a staunch Chan supporter for much of his term here (although to say I was initially disappointed by the the hire a huge understatement) but I might sign up for a new HC next year if it's a guy like Marc Trestman, regardless of his wanderlust.

• 3 weeks later...

Again, a guy a few people here have touted over the last few years (as recently as before Gailey was hired).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

The guy is a bit of a Sabanesque vagabond but a damn good football coach and a brilliant offensive mind.

He is very responsible for Rich Gannon's unprecedented late-career surge.

For those not familiar, you should read the Wiki entry. It's very interesting reading.