Who will be HC next year?

Arians is the guy that comes to mind for me as well, since he is not only a logical candidate but even one who is a likely one. The way I see it, if Chan gets fired that probably means that Buddy is gone too, which put Whaley in the driver's seat. Arians and Whaley both have the Pittsburgh connection.

I would like Arians. He put in place the Pittsburgh offense that is dynamic today. He could do wonders if they get him a real QB. look at what he's doing in Indy. A lot of people here in Pgh disliked him, but that's because he didn't run the ball 1000+ times a game. He'd be a great head coach. Players like him, and he's got the skills.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 5 B list coaches turned down the Bills when they conducted their last HC search. 3 are now HC's (Jim Harbaugh, Rivera, Frazier) 1 is an OC (Brian Schottenheimer) and 1 remains an OL coach (Grimm). Credit the Bills for going after up and coming types. Discredit them for not having a reputation strong enough attract these guys to even interview.

Why would anything change 3 years later if Gailey is fired?

Frazier interviewed with the Bills http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4802024

And I don't recall a report about Rivera turning them down.

Edited by Carey Bender

Nix went public in backing Gailey, saying he wanted to put to rest any doubts about the coach's future beyond this season. He referred to Gailey as being one of the NFL's best offensive coaches, and added that having the Bills make a switch for a fifth time since 2001 would only set back the team's development..

http://news.yahoo.com/bills-gm-nix-backs-gailey-qb-mark-173832686--nfl.html

Frazier interviewed with the Bills http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4802024

And I don't recall a report about Rivera turning them down.

Frazier interviewed and Buffalo did not pursue him. I amend my statement of him withdrawing, though it seems the Bills weren't impressed and/or they wanted an offensive coach. Same may be said for Rivera. Nix and he knew one another from their SD days, but either the Bills didn't attempt to interview him or he declined.

All of this is uncertain, as much of this happens behind the scenes. Still, they were turned down for multiple interviews. IMO that says a lot about how the league looks upon this franchise.

I'm going to throw a dark-horse name out there:

Rich Bisaccia, San Diego's special teams coach

- Widely-respected throughout the league, and considered head coaching material a la John Harbaugh, who made the jump from ST coach to head coach.

- Has ties to Buddy Nix, as he spent many years in SD while Nix was there

I'm intrigued by your choice.

Assuming Whalley is the heir apparent at GM, the next HC has a good chance of having some Pittsburgh connection, right?

I'm still really intruiged by Russ Grimm. I know he turned down the chance to interview last time, but I'd love to see if he would be interested this time around.

Again, a guy a few people here have touted over the last few years (as recently as before Gailey was hired).

http://en.wikipedia....i/Marc_Trestman

The guy is a bit of a Sabanesque vagabond but a damn good football coach and a brilliant offensive mind.

He is very responsible for Rich Gannon's unprecedented late-career surge.

For those not familiar, you should read the Wiki entry. It's very interesting reading.

I'm sold. How soon can Ralph get a Uhaul booked?

If I'm not mistaken the Bills did contact him and he declined an interview

Marc Trestman already said no to us and just signed a 4 year extention with Montreal in the CFL.

Trestman declined an interview with the Bills 3 years ago?

I don't remember hearing that.

My man is Greg Roman, OC from the 49ers. He was able to take an offense similar to ours (mediocre QB, good RB, decent O-Line) and make it one of the more efficient offenses in the league. He'll bring in the type of run based offense we're built for. We'd have to go out and hire a legitimate and proven DC as well but he's the kind of offensive mastermind we need.

My man is Greg Roman, OC from the 49ers. He was able to take an offense similar to ours (mediocre QB, good RB, decent O-Line) and make it one of the more efficient offenses in the league. He'll bring in the type of run based offense we're built for. We'd have to go out and hire a legitimate and proven DC as well but he's the kind of offensive mastermind we need.

One cautionary note about hiring coordinators.

Often times, they get the credit for executing the design and instructions of the head coach, especially when that head coach wields authority.

For example, if the Bills had a top rated offense, would/should that make Curtis Modkins a hot head coaching candidate?

I'm not saying that is or isn't the case with Roman but I'm just pointing out that it's often difficult to tell where the credit for a strong offense should go, especially when the head coach happens to also be an offensive coach and former NFL quarterback.

Chan will be back. He's a good coach according to Nix and I agree.

If Mario, Dareus, Shep and George Wilson would have played half as good as they should be playing we would have a winning record right now.

Its easy to point fingers at the coaches, but I think it's the lack of defensive talent that we have that's costing us games. I'd give Chan one more season after this.

Just imagine where this team would be right now if we would have made Perry Fewell the HC & then hired Chan as OC.

1) We would have much better talent at QB right now.

2) We would have a MUCH better D than what Wanny is trying to do.

I thought fewell showed good leadership in his brief stint as HC. The knock of course coming from a DC background is what he do with the offense? Be interesting to see who he brought in as OC and if he would be able to support the more modern passing oriented offense. But almost for certain the D would be heads and shoulders above what we have now. And not wasting 2 years trying to convert from 4-3 to 3-4 would have provided the basis for better drafts and FA moves.