San Francisco is weird... "Spare the Air Day?" No bags in stor

Fezmid

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no lawn. Front yard is terraced flower beds. We're ripping out the hodge podge of crap that was in there before and are going with a bunch of succulents. Back yard is cement and decomposed granite. I wish I could figure how to post a picture here of my view it's spectacular. Wonderful sunset over SF last night.

The sunsets here this time of the year are amazing. Of course a little smoke from wild fires helps with that. ;) I have a few "smoke" sunset photos I could post as well.

Nor should they allow our absentee neighbor to have their sprinklers run for ten minutes every night.

I agree. Watering for plants serves nothing but an aesthetic purpose which is not really needed... One can easily put in modern artifical turf that looks real (yet expensive). Sure soft water is a luxury, but it serves more of a purpose: Less soap, less cleaning (chemicals), keeps the house water system in better health. Yes, the salt discharge can be bad... But realeased in to the sewer system? I guess they don't want to process the extra discharge? Anyway, one pays sewer on the amount of water used anyway.

I agree. Watering for plants serves nothing but an aesthetic purpose which is not really needed... One can easily put in modern artifical turf that looks real (yet expensive). Sure soft water is a luxury, but it serves more of a purpose: Less soap, less cleaning (chemicals), keeps the house water system in better health. Yes, the salt discharge can be bad... But realeased in to the sewer system? I guess they don't want to process the extra discharge? Anyway, one pays sewer on the amount of water used anyway.

Here in CA we have to get most of our water from the Sierras directly (Hetch Hetchy System for the Peninsula and SF) or indirectly (the Delta). We haven't had a drought, but they are picky about water use since it doesn't rain from about April or May until late October . Where Chef Jim lives is in the hills and erosion can be a problem. They are spending billions to update the Hetch Hetchy System. Near me, on the Hayward Fault, they are installing a slip joint that will allow the water conduits to move up to 10 feet laterally and a ball joint that will allow it to move 25 degrees or so in any direction. If the pipe is ruptured by a quake, SF could have no water for months!

humans are so arrogant... you really think you can do whatever you want with nature? with resources that are limited, that can be destroyed? ( which we depend on). this isnt even left/right, its called there is only one earth with only so many resources. green tech has not reached its full potential yet...

does this mean we all live in trees? no. does this mean we can have 3 jumbo private jets, 15 mansions and 25 cars? no...

" freedom" doesnt mean, do w/e i want no matter what or how it affects others.

i lived in oakland, alameda, and humboldt, yes those hipsters can be weird, and sometimes nuts. but for gods sake, stop reffering to "freedom" when a town charges 10 cents for plastic bags or eliminates plastic bags entirely. or when people care about the air people breathe, ya know, to live and stuff... humans have to use the limited energy in a sustainable way, not as much as they want and !@#$ the consequences... it is what it is.

but it doesnt matter, because we will learn the hard way. and im not even talking about global warming. peak oil is a fact, and the pain just started. and it will get worse, faster and faster...

like mcgloughlin group says, BYE BYE!!!!!!!!!

thats another thing i dont get, how is caring about the environment, a left/right issue? it is basic science/math. just like farming, i have these crops. i need to plan this out for the winter, ie being sustainable...........

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

One day where you cant get bags at the grocery store? How terrible!

I assume you're being sarcastic here. As most of you know I'm pretty much the opposite of a tree hugger but I hope someday people will be required to bring their own canvas bags to the store. I am no tree hugger but I also despise litter and I'm tired of seeing those plastic bags blowing around the city. Do I still use them? Yeah which makes me a hypocrite but I will make the change some day.

This morning before coming to work I had time so I turned on the TV and the local SF news is on. It being Fleet Week here there is a reporter doing puff piece on one of the warships docked at one of the piers. So instead of asking questions on the ships armament, radar or missile tech the first comment out of the reporters trap is "This is one of the first green ships in the Navy I'm told. Can you tell me more about it" Or something to that effect. You know, because thats the most important thing about a battleship is how it burns fuel and how clean it's doing it. I know when the Russians decide to take at shot at us in the Pacific I'll sleep better at night knowing our ships are fuggin green.

i agree, this is common sense. just like people who dont work should not feel entitled to free money, we are not entitled to as many resources as we want. thats just dumb. not saying all righties say that, but many do... the rush crowd, hannity, etc

Yeah, but do you really think the new 10 cent bag tax is going to deter people from getting a bag very often? I didn't see anybody turn down a bag in the stores I was at (except me, because I'm cheap, but the day before they put the tax in place, I recycled the bag when I got back to my hotel...). So to me it looks like it's just another revenue stream for the government.

Sure, thats a good point.

but recylcling should be mandatory. no plastic bags, etc... but nm plastic bags.

we should create some new plan with oil, a sustainable plan with decent living standards, not drill as much as possible. that makes the problem worse...

we should look hard into natural gas, create a sustainable plan.

all of this is obvious. and i would argue, we either need very strict regs on the market, or to make energy a govt program. because the motivation is profit, and market forces will exhaust the resources and not allow for realistic management.

im not a crazy lefty who says no oil, no fracking, but they better be safe in a reasonable way.

im not educated enough on fracking and what it does to the water supply. the right says one thing, the left says another.... i would lean left, as much of the right doesnt have the environment in their best interest, but im still skeptical that fracking is this horrible thing...

we need an apollo like program with green tech though...

my friend is a huge right winger, ayn rand like. but he doesnt get this meme where if you are republican, you have to say !@#$ the environment...

Fracking,shmacking. I currently live in a town where you CANNOT Recycle plastic bags. In the garbage and too the landfill they go.

Fracking,shmacking. I currently live in a town where you CANNOT Recycle plastic bags. In the garbage and too the landfill they go.

Yup. When I looked at the items I cannot put in my recycling plastic bags are one of them. WM........garbage Nazis. :censored:

Yup. When I looked at the items I cannot put in my recycling plastic bags are one of them. WM........garbage Nazis. :censored:

I once got a $25 fine for having a plastic bag in my recycling.

Here we can take plastic bags back to the grocery stores, they have recycling bins for them.

Same here, in the above-mentioned Montgomery County. Where we pay five cents for them.

Great...then give me my five cents back when I recycle them, !@#$ers!

I assume you're being sarcastic here. As most of you know I'm pretty much the opposite of a tree hugger but I hope someday people will be required to bring their own canvas bags to the store. I am no tree hugger but I also despise litter and I'm tired of seeing those plastic bags blowing around the city. Do I still use them? Yeah which makes me a hypocrite but I will make the change some day.

Im always sarcastic ;) I dont consider myself a tree hugger but I do work in the environmental field. Mostly because I love nature and love working outside. I'm a big proponent of stuff like cnavas bags. its easy and it saves ALOT of waste.

I look forward to the day when its required. Some people might be annoyed by it and thats their choice, but I see nothing wrong with trying to make this world cleaner and less wasteful

Chef I'm completely w/you on all your points. I spend as much time as I can possibly afford in Hawaii . There isn't a day that goes by where you don't see "walmart" bags literally flying around. The big issue out there is that the native sea turtles natural meal is jelly fish and a floating "walmart" bag looks like a jelly fish to a sea turtle.

What kind of slobs live in SF? They double bag here and I have never seen one on the street.

Plastic bags are banned in SF. And with regard to your slobs remark I take it you've never been to SF.

Yeah, I was rather surprised at how dirty the city was. I mean it wasn't a complete dump or anything, but it wasn't as nice as I pictured it would be.