A nickname for the disaster in Seattle?

poo

I'm surprised no one posted this so I will.

Rule 8 - Section 3 - Article 1 - Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

I don't care who won this game either, it has no effect on the Bills, but Jennings goes up and catches the ball while Tate has his arm in Jennings chest. As they fall to the ground, Tate doesn't even have his other arm in there until they hit the ground. By definition, that's NOT a simultaneous catch. So the refs missed two calls on the same play, the offensive PI (which most people feel the regular refs would choose to overlook at the end of a game too) AND the non simultaneous catch. Not to mention when two refs show up on the play, the first signals for the clock to stop for a change of possession, the second guy runs in and signals touchdown. They didn't even confer.

The WORST part was while they were getting the Packers back onto the field for the PAT, they were interviewing Carroll and he mentioned the NE -Buf "just give it to him" game which helped get replay started in the first place....when the Bills didn't come back onto the field and they ran for two....

This^^^ Plus, the replay official is not a replacement......so, he screwed it up big time......can't really blame the replacement when the non-replace replay guy gets it wrong.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you saw anything other than an interception you may want to get your eyes checked. Its black and white, no argument.

That being said, the replacement refs are no worse than the regular refs, who may have made the same call. There are thousands of terrible calls made by the real refs every year. People are just complaining about these calls so much more because they know its the replacement refs.

Well, the DB has control of the ball first, just because the WR has a hand in there does not mean he can claim to have control, he gets both hands on the ball and can claim control only after the DB already has control (which is the rule - simultaneous control the catch goes to the WR, non-suimultaneous control then whoever has control gains possession). Definitely a blown call.

Even disregarding the non-called PI push.

BOOM - this is the truth of the play. That was not a simultaneous catch, therefore the tie shouldn't have gone to the O (if that's even what happened).

You knew it was screwed when one guy waived like a touchback and the other called a TD. Joke.

How about we take the Tuck Rule and replace the T with an F? Seems about right...

I know some people like to be contrarians, but don't be silly. This isn't basketball. The offense doesn't get to sneak one hand in and get a jump ball call with the possession arrow always in their favor. Tate might have gotten a both hands on the ball at impact, but on the way down his right hand is clearly off the ball and it's not even clear if his left hand is still in contact. He re-establishes contact while on the ground. You also can't blame the replay official for this debacle because simultaneous possession is not a reviewable play.

I know some people like to be contrarians, but don't be silly. This isn't basketball. The offense doesn't get to sneak one hand in and get a jump ball call with the possession arrow always in their favor. Tate might have gotten a both hands on the ball at impact, but on the way down his right hand is clearly off the ball and it's not even clear if his left hand is still in contact. He re-establishes contact while on the ground. You also can't blame the replay official for this debacle because simultaneous possession is not a reviewable play.

I'm not trying to be contrarian. I don't think the ruling on the field was as black and white as most think. On balance I'd rule it an INT but I concede the critical moment occurs when the player(s) are ruled down and the play is over. And its all but impossible to get a clear read on that given how fleeting it is and the mayhem of a scrum.

I will say win or lose green bay has got to be concerned. They were dominated by 9ers and only managed 12 points against Seahawks. 12 is not winning many ball games. For a team only a year removed from being champs, with last years MVP at QB, who think so highly of themselves, itsnot adding up . Giving up 8 sacks in first half alone? That's scary bad

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

everyone is still ignoring the definition of a catch rule, which in this instance is the key

a wr that gains possession of the ball AND taps both feet in the endzone, doesnt get a td until he completes hitting the ground and maintaining possession. if he loses the ball even through the fall to the ground its not a recep and thus not a td

thus by rule getting to the ground and maintaining possession is the standard for a catch

and that standard wasnt met by jennings bc by the time they were on the ground tate had created duplicate possession

theres a reason why coaches tell you to just bat it down bc its too easy to create dual possession in just this manner

valid catch and td

/thread

Totally Wrong!!! Jennnings intercepted the ball with total control and when touched by Tate he was downed by contact. Tate cannot get "simultaneous" control after Jennings is already on the ground. Interception and touchback was the right call with the Packers winning. Meathead huh? LOL

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

PI happens on almost every hail mary and rarely gets called...that point is moot.

as for the interception/touchdown - if jennings had both feet down when only he had the ball, it's an interception...but he didn't. by the time jennings gets BOTH feet down (which takes a while in slow-mo), possession is simultaneous. if jennings had simply knocked the ball away, the game is over and there is no controversy. terrible play by jennings.