Goldent Tate fined 21K

billsFORlife50

The NFL, which is the only sanctioning body that matters in this particular instance, agrees with me; not you. I find it peculiar that you claim to love the sport but have no compassion for the men who play it; or respect for the rules that govern it. Why is it so hard for you to come out and say that you get great enjoyment from watching other human beings suffer repeated blunt force head trauma?

Not sure what some of you were looking at but if you watch the video at the point of impact Tate's head is clearly up, he's basically looking into the eyes of Lee. He does spring up but that's because he's exploding into the block. He didn't leap at or launch himself at Lee.

IMO, it becomes far worse because of the angles. Tate was at the perfect angle to "de-cleat" him and I don't think Lee ever saw it coming. I have a little experience in this type of hit because I was knocked unconcious during a game in high school on essentially the same type of play. I never saw the guy coming and with those angles I was propelled up and backwards several feet. I woke up on the ground with my coach standing over me saying "are you ok" to which I responded "I don't know, what happened". It didn't hurt that much, I just remember getting jacked up.

I'd place this more along the lines of "hitting a defenseless WR".

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I don't think it matters that he led with his head, they made these types of blocks illegal a couple years ago thanks to Hines Ward.

"The blocking rule makes illegal a blindside block if it comes from the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder and lands to the head or neck area of the defender. One of the highlights the NFL competition committee used to portray such a block was the one Ward threw last season that broke the jaw of Cincinnati rookie linebacker Keith Rivers."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/breaking/nfl-approves-hines-ward-rule-335030/#ixzz270z6Ptor

Edited by Carey Bender

It amazes me that anyone can defend this as a "legal" hit. The guy was fined by the NFL for crying out loud...and a hefty amount at that. I do believe the celebration dance after the hit may have tacked on 10-15k or so, but that does not take away from the fact the hit was illegal. He clearly left his feet in an attempt to deliver this type of hit. I understand this is the NFL, but put yourself in their shoes. A needless, senseless block of this type could ruin a players career, or even worse, their life after football. What is nuts is that if this was against a Buffalo Bill everyone on here would be calling for Golden Tate to be kicked out of the league.

Plain and simple it was a dirty hit. He could have accomplished the block without launching himself and could have lessened the risk of injuring Lee (and also himself) tremendously. He is 6 inches away from hitting Lee in the helmet and most likely concussing him and probably himself. I know one would say "but he didn't" and the NFL knows that as well. Their take is that everything moves so fast, a 6 inch mistake is the difference of someone getting up or someone possibly never being able to walk again.

No need for this in the game PERIOD

The NFL, which is the only sanctioning body that matters in this particular instance, agrees with me; not you. I find it peculiar that you claim to love the sport but have no compassion for the men who play it; or respect for the rules that govern it. Why is it so hard for you to come out and say that you get great enjoyment from watching other human beings suffer repeated blunt force head trauma?

So you don't watch football for enjoyment?? If you don't I do not see why you are on this website following a football team. Every single play there is some form of "head trauma" and every person who plays football knows it and willingly plays it. So if you watch football which no one forces you to do, you are supporting all the "human beings suffer repeated blunt force head trauma" that you claim is so wrong.

I think the celebration after he looked over and saw Lee hurt was worth fining him over.

It was an offensive player decleating a defender. It rarely happens and I cans see why he would be excited and celebrate. If Sean Lee hit him going over the middle do you think he wouldn't have celebrated.

THE reality of it is,,,its bad press ..publicly they will chastize him but wait till it shows up on next years highlight films... total hippocrites !!!

For sure. Do they still do the Jacked up! segment on ESPN? This would have been a prime candidate.

Bottom line is this is a borderline hit. Could be dirty may not be, but there is no way he is escaping without a fine. Just because ppl think it isn't a dirty hit doesn't mean they don't care about player safety. It means they think it was a clean hit and part of football. If you think the NFL fined him because they care about player safety I will direct you to Steve Young's comments on MNF.

i think it should be a legal hit.......tate hit him right between the numbers in his chest.

looked like he tried to lead with his shoulder, with the head and shoulder making simultaneous contact.

at that speed, its almost impossible to not make some contact with your helmet, even tho your trying to lead with your shoulder.

i'd love to be in the room when seattle reviews the film of that hit....priceless

i think it should be a legal hit.......tate hit him right between the numbers in his chest.

looked like he tried to lead with his shoulder, with the head and shoulder making simultaneous contact.

at that speed, its almost impossible to not make some contact with your helmet, even tho your trying to lead with your shoulder.

i'd love to be in the room when seattle reviews the film of that hit....priceless

having said that.....

an NFL spokesman has provided this explanation: “It was an illegal blindside block against a defenseless player. Page 67 of the rule book. Unnecessary contact against a defenseless player is prohibited. That includes ‘a player who receives a ‘blindside’ block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent form behind or from the side.’”

This year, the NFL expanded the protection to include a player who not only is moving toward his own end zone (like Lee was) but also parallel to it. If — and only if — Lee had been moving toward the Seattle end zone at the time of the contact, he would not have been protected.

http://profootballta...ck-protections/

Edited by papazoid

Hit was dirty, but the celebration was downright embarrassing

Disagree. It looked like a clean hit to me. I'll pass on discussing the celebration, but from what I saw, it didn't look like he speared him. There might have been some helmet in there, but it very well could have been a shoulder. Couldn't tell.

having said that.....

an NFL spokesman has provided this explanation: “It was an illegal blindside block against a defenseless player. Page 67 of the rule book. Unnecessary contact against a defenseless player is prohibited. That includes ‘a player who receives a ‘blindside’ block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent form behind or from the side.’”

This year, the NFL expanded the protection to include a player who not only is moving toward his own end zone (like Lee was) but also parallel to it. If — and only if — Lee had been moving toward the Seattle end zone at the time of the contact, he would not have been protected.

http://profootballta...ck-protections/

Looked to me like he was pursuing a Seattle player towards the Seattle end zone. And I disagree that he was defenseless. He should have seen that coming.

tasker and new bills you guys amaze me with this trauma head stuff......either don't play....or just cancel football alltogether......this NO MORE HARD TACKLING nonsense is terrible.....when i played I would knock lees head off as well and then later in the game he would do the same to me....its how the game works no one said it's pretty......There was no flag PERIOD! and for tasker PERIOD!

you can twist it however you want.........i agree with another poster that maybe yall should not watch football or better yet lets just get rid of football because the cold hard truth is most will be hurt eventually.....it is what it is but there is nothing dirty about that play...........the pussification of america as i believe George Carlin said is going way way way way too far........now the NFL is involved....gonna have to cancel the season and replace it with a Glee marathon! thats the ticket!

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Hit was boarder line. Looks like Tate is leading with his helmet. Lee gets hit pretty good with his helmet right in the rib cage, but he has to be more aware than that. Tate is more or less fined I think for celebrating on top of an injured player on the field. It is a close call between legal and illegal. The lack of respect for the guy on the ground pushes the league to heir on the side of illegal I think. Minus the celebration and I don't think we hear much about this

There no spot on the human body that cannot be damaged when struck by another human running at full speed.

None.

whether you lead with the helmet, the kneecaps, or yes, even the shoulder, there is NO WAY to guarantee injury-free tackle football.

Even shoulder takedowns are dicey, since a player tackling with his shoulderpads risks injury to his head, neck, clavicle, scapula, and sternum.

You could concievably SHOESTRING TACKLE a guy and cause injury. Don't think so? -Ask Darelle Revis.

My point is this: Danger is something that is inherent in ALL sport, to varying degrees. Anyone who's ever been beaned by a golf ball, smashed in the face by a basketball, checked into the glass playing hockey, or bulldozed while blocking home plate knows what I'm talking about.

Sport is about pushing the human body to it's physical limit, -and then going further. The participants acknowledge the risks and proceed in the path they've chosen.

It's a huge part of why we admire them.

You can't launch into another player and use your head as a weapon. End of story. You might think of these guys as otherwise useless meatsacks put on this earth for no other reason than to entertain you with their eminent brain trauma, but the NFL has decided that your position is ugly and meritless, and have thankfully chosen a rule set that treats their players like human beings, and recognises the fragility of the human brain. If you don't like it, turn off your TV.

I'm not sure he launched...

But he definitely speared him. And never mind the "there was no flag" excuse...there should have been one. If he'd put his shoulder into him, that would have been a great, clean hit.

There no spot on the human body that cannot be damaged when struck by another human running at full speed.

None.

whether you lead with the helmet, the kneecaps, or yes, even the shoulder, there is NO WAY to guarantee injury-free tackle football.

Even shoulder takedowns are dicey, since a player tackling with his shoulderpads risks injury to his head, neck, clavicle, scapula, and sternum.

You could concievably SHOESTRING TACKLE a guy and cause injury. Don't think so? -Ask Darelle Revis.

My point is this: Danger is something that is inherent in ALL sport, to varying degrees. Anyone who's ever been beaned by a golf ball, smashed in the face by a basketball, checked into the glass playing hockey, or bulldozed while blocking home plate knows what I'm talking about.

Sport is about pushing the human body to it's physical limit, -and then going further. The participants acknowledge the risks and proceed in the path they've chosen.

It's a huge part of why we admire them.

Nice speech. But it's not germane to anything the league has established with regard to mitigating the exposure to brain injuries. While all calls by the refs are arbitrary, the NFL is seeking to establish and refine guidelines relative to the very real issue of brain trauma injuries. If that's the pussification of the league, so be it. Look for the NFL to make further changes in both rules and enforcement going forward. The game has changed. Either accept that or stop watching. The NFL couldn't care less.

GO BILLS!!!

You can't launch into another player and use your head as a weapon. End of story. You might think of these guys as otherwise useless meatsacks put on this earth for no other reason than to entertain you with their eminent brain trauma, but the NFL has decided that your position is ugly and meritless, and have thankfully chosen a rule set that treats their players like human beings, and recognises the fragility of the human brain. If you don't like it, turn off your TV.

Well your close. It isn't the NFL that decided the position is ugly and meritless. it's the NFL Attorneys that "guide" the execs on these issues. It's called as you're aware liability. The NFL could care less until it became a issue then a class action suit.

Nice speech. But it's not germane to anything the league has established with regard to mitigating the exposure to brain injuries. While all calls by the refs are arbitrary, the NFL is seeking to establish and refine guidelines relative to the very real issue of brain trauma injuries. If that's the pussification of the league, so be it. Look for the NFL to make further changes in both rules and enforcement going forward. The game has changed. Either accept that or stop watching. The NFL couldn't care less.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, I can also NOT accept it, and keep watching too. -As a fan, I reserve the right to call Bullsh*t whenever a flag, or a fine goes against what I feel is the spirit of the game.

You see, whether the league wants to confront it, or not, there's going to be a backlash for what many fans, (and players) feel is undue tampering with the sport. A backlash which has to be reconciled against the tens of millions in settlement cash going to current, and former players with symptoms of trauma, -which is what all this hit-fine crap is really about.

As it stands now, the NFL is in danger of being crushed under the weight of these lawsuits. So, It's not pussification, as much as it is liquefication from the gound-up. From a financial standpoint, the league, and it's owner's situation is untennable. I'm not sure what part the CBA plays in all this, but at some point, It will come down to the acceptance of some personal responsibility on the part of players. OR the NFL, as we know it, could forseeably dissolve.

Hey, I can also NOT accept it, and keep watching too. -As a fan, I reserve the right to call Bullsh*t whenever a flag, or a fine goes against what I feel is the spirit of the game.

You see, whether the league wants to confront it, or not, there's going to be a backlash for what many fans, (and players) feel is undue tampering with the sport. A backlash which has to be reconciled against the tens of millions in settlement cash going to current, and former players with symptoms of trauma, -which is what all this hit-fine crap is really about.

As it stands now, the NFL is in danger of being crushed under the weight of these lawsuits. So, It's not pussification, as much as it is liquefication from the gound-up. From a financial standpoint, the league, and it's owner's situation is untennable. I'm not sure what part the CBA plays in all this, but at some point, It will come down to the acceptance of some personal responsibility on the part of players. OR the NFL, as we know it, could forseeably dissolve.

Backlash? And just how will this 'backlash' manifest itself? The NFL laughs at the thought of that. At least until the TV contract has expired and fans have shown they are no longer willing to make the NFL the most popular sport in America by a wide margin. Are you gonna organize the boycott?

Backlash. That's a good one.

The NFL won't be crushed by any lawsuit. It will be settled long before that.

GO BILLS!!!

Backlash. That's a good one.

The NFL won't be crushed by any lawsuit. It will be settled long before that.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol:

Probably what the league thought the first time they heard of "Traumatic Brain Injury" -Wonder what they think now?

Small problems have a way of getting bigger.

IF they're as arrogant as you imply, there may be even more trouble on the horizon.

Edited by #34fan

At this point, there's WAY too many well-paid lawyers involved for the drama to stop. Twenty years ago that same hit would have made everyone's highlight reel.

Exactly......this whole thread is just opinions as some are ready to tar and feather Tate and others appreciate a football play. Some are affected by the lawyer talk on concussions that is the latest rage, others are used to football and don't want to see much change.

I say bust out the flag football.....too many crap penalties for good hits and vice versa the game is becoming a joke IMO (see jets steelers PI call over hard hit)

:lol:

Probably what the league thought the first time they heard of "Traumatic Brain Injury" -Wonder what they think now?

Small problems have a way of getting bigger.

IF they're as arrogant as you imply, there may be even more trouble on the horizon.

Litigation and subsequent rules changes are what's new.

The league has known about brain injuries forever. They've also known that many of its players starting suffering from early signs of dementia much earlier than the general populace.

The lawsuit will be settled because it's in the best interests of the plaintiffs to do so. Killing the NFL will kill the long-term care they are after. Obviously it's in the best interest of the league to settle as well.

As for the 'arrogance' of the NFL, they are firmly entrenched as the most popular sport in the land with the unprecedented broadcast revenues to match. They don't have to sweat those TV deals until those contracts expire after the 2022 season. I just don't see what leverage the average fan has, unless they stop supporting it cold turkey and that entails much more than just not watching or listening to the games.

Anyway, look for more rules seeking to mitigate brain injuries.

GO BILLS!!!

It's 21k as a flat fine. Everyone gets it as a first offense. That number will raise 5% annually.

That hit was ugly and dangerous. Hopefully losing the 21k will protect Tate from himself and those around him. It was totally unneeded to go for a kill shot, but if he wanted to there were plenty of ways to blow the guy up without risking life. Frankly the slightest bump takes lee out of that play though.

It's 21k as a flat fine. Everyone gets it as a first offense. That number will raise 5% annually.

That hit was ugly and dangerous. Hopefully losing the 21k will protect Tate from himself and those around him. It was totally unneeded to go for a kill shot, but if he wanted to there were plenty of ways to blow the guy up without risking life. Frankly the slightest bump takes lee out of that play though.

Season 1: First offense half game suspension, second: full game, third: four games, fourth: 8 games, fifth: season.

Each penalty too be accompanied by the corosponding amount of game checks. Time suspended to be deducted from NFL service time in relation to pension.

Season 1: First offense half game suspension, second: full game, third: four games, fourth: 8 games, fifth: season.

Each penalty too be accompanied by the corosponding amount of game checks. Time suspended to be deducted from NFL service time in relation to pension.

Disagree. I think it's easy enough to get caught with an unexpected move or awkward body position that only repeat or especially heinous offenders should see suspension. More like a 3 strikes type rule before gameplan missed. Truth is, even in good clean football ugly hits can happen. That doesn't mean they should be celebrated like some of these guys are arguing but there does need to be some balance between "teach them a lesson" and "sometimes you miss what you were going for by accident"

Disagree. I think it's easy enough to get caught with an unexpected move or awkward body position that only repeat or especially heinous offenders should see suspension. More like a 3 strikes type rule before gameplan missed. Truth is, even in good clean football ugly hits can happen. That doesn't mean they should be celebrated like some of these guys are arguing but there does need to be some balance between "teach them a lesson" and "sometimes you miss what you were going for by accident"

OK. I can see that argument, and will recognise it. First hit: half a game check, Second: three quarter game check, Third: you played for free + ejection from current game, Fourth: four games + four games pay, Fifth: 16 games + loss of 16 games pay + loss of service time, Sixth: indefinite ban Edited by TakeYouToTasker