Mr $100 million was much better today

So you're going to judge his season by 10 plays? That's an interesting approach...

I'd prefer a guy who constantly demands double teams, gets a handful a pressures every game and plays the run very well to a guy who sucks for much of the game yet gets a sack here and there that end up adding up to 10+ sacks on the season.

But hey, to each his own, if you want to judge a season based on 10 sacks that's your prerogative.

I never said I was judging his season by 10 plays. I also never said he had a "bad game" today.

But I just find it hard to believe that when we signed Mario Williams to a monster contract, people here didn't expect him to have the same sack production as the elite pass rushers in the game (Ware, Allen, Harrison, etc.). At least that is what I am expecting.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ware and Harrison play a different position in a totally different defense which carries different positional responsibilities. Jarred Allen is a selfish and incomplete player who runs himself out of position, loses contain, sets a poor edge and is generally a liability against the run. He shouldn't be a 3 down player.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Some outstanding rebuttals there.

What's funny is that no one is really disagreeing with you that Williams took on blockers, had a good game, and caused others to have a game.

I think where people--or, at least me--have a problem is with your OP where you appear to suggest that sacks are unimportant or that we shouldn't have an expectation that Williams should be getting a lot of sacks this year.

Are you telling me that you would be thrilled if Williams had a game like today every week and ended the season with zero sacks?

Sacks ARE unimportant. Almost any former QB would tell you that consistent pressure is 10x more powerful than a sack here or there.

If Mario plays 14 more games like today and has 0 sacks It would be a WILDLY successful season. That would mean his presence would have attributed to about a 70 sack season for this defensive line.

Man, by the sounds of it, $100 million doesn't go very far nowadays.

:doh:

It's clear the majority of posters don't exactly understand the impact Mario made today. That's sad. Im not sure if to blame it on our education system or their DNA.

elite pass rushers in the game (Ware, Allen, Harrison, etc.). At least that is what I am expecting.

Now we're comparing LB's to DE's? Just stop.

I never said I was judging his season by 10 plays. I also never said he had a "bad game" today.

But I just find it hard to believe that when we signed Mario Williams to a monster contract, people here didn't expect him to have the same sack production as the elite pass rushers in the game (Ware, Allen, Harrison, etc.). At least that is what I am expecting.

Ware and Allen combined for zero sacks today. Ill leave the injured Harrison out.

Allen has 3 tackles and zero sacks on the season.

Dont be ridiculous

Not understanding the game has nothing to do with age......these could well be older armchair quarterbacks

You do know that sacks tend to come in bunches and we are in week TWO.....

What did you get today for your 100 million?

Pressures

Good stop support

Other DL getting freed up to make one on one plays

A WIN

I think most people expected him to draw attention to free up Dareus and Kyle. That seemed to work today.

I thought Mario had a great game. I often focus on him since he is the big money man. He was getting decent pressure and was getting double/triple teamed no matter what some are trying to say in this thread. They even showed a replay of it on CBS.

I love watching this D-Line together. I hope they are together for a very long time.

You didn't post any facts.

It's amateur hour to point out what you did. Anyone who knows a lick about the game, knows that Mario is THE REASON that the other defensive lineman you spoke about were playing as well as they were. 2 of our 5 sacks were directly attributable to Mario's presence in the pocket.

I definitely agree with you, he was commanding a hell of a lot of attention on EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Triple teamed or doubled with a chip block, he still found a way to be somewhat disruptive and came away with a fumble recovery.

this week it's Kyle getting stats and pushing the line with Marcel. I watched Anderson flying around the field yesterday and hustling his tail off too. The line did agreat job and the secondary held their own. One complements the other as does a a tackle to an end. Everyone played better today we got a big W and Wannstadt stepped it up.

Mario will get his as the guys get comfortable.

I have decided we will keep him on the team.

Ware and Harrison play a different position in a totally different defense which carries different positional responsibilities. Jarred Allen is a selfish and incomplete player who runs himself out of position, loses contain, sets a poor edge and is generally a liability against the run. He shouldn't be a 3 down player.

Allen reminds me a lot of Schoebel. He gets all kinds of praise for his sacks but he's a HUGE liability against the run.

I'll tell you who else is playing his ass off this season, Chris Kelsay. It doesn't show up on the highlights but he's playing really well.

"While Super Mario wasn’t super against the Chiefs, he was at least very good, making his presence felt with two tackles, a pressure that led to a sack, a fumble recovery to set up a touchdown and a tipped pass to kill a drive and also drew a holding penalty."

http://www.democrata...irst-impression

2 tackles, pressure all day, collapsed the pocket which led to a sack, recovered a fumble, tipped a pass that killed a Chiefs drive and drew a holding penalty because he was beating his man one on one.

Yeah, thats a pretty good game.

Edited by LiterateStylish

I don't get some of you people, If Mario wouldn't have came to Buffalo you'd B word that he thinks he too good , He comes to Buffalo & You B word that he is here

What do you want 5 sack 10 tackles a game this isn't Madden, his job is to play his spot & free up guys to make plays & that's what he did today, some of you still cry over Marshawn Lynch & JP Losman who never put in an afford but Mario has 2 games under him & you want a refund REALLY.................

What's an afford?

I know the old adage that there is holding on every play, but it seems more pronounced with the replacement refs in. I wonder if that is playing a role in the lack of stats.... O-lineman are pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with, and they're getting away with alot.

Sacks ARE unimportant. Almost any former QB would tell you that consistent pressure is 10x more powerful than a sack here or there.

If Mario plays 14 more games like today and has 0 sacks It would be a WILDLY successful season. That would mean his presence would have attributed to about a 70 sack season for this defensive line.

Look at the Carolina New orleans game for a further example of this point.

Someone else as ignorant as you perhaps.

Great. Another intelligent contribution to the board. Thanks for that witty pearl of insight.

If you think that Mario was being "double and triple teamed on every play" then show some facts. How many times was he double teamed? How many triple teamed? and out of how many plays. Since I also read on this board that Dareus and K Williams were being double teamed on every play and I saw Chris Kelsay get double teamed on at least two plays, I guess that the Chiefs must have been keeping 8 or 9 men in to block on every play and only sending out 1 WR. Strange, though. It didn't seem that way.

Or you could just resort to name calling.

Great. Another intelligent contribution to the board. Thanks for that witty pearl of insight.

If you think that Mario was being "double and triple teamed on every play" then show some facts. How many times was he double teamed? How many triple teamed? and out of how many plays. Since I also read on this board that Dareus and K Williams were being double teamed on every play and I saw Chris Kelsay get double teamed on at least two plays, I guess that the Chiefs must have been keeping 8 or 9 men in to block on every play and only sending out 1 WR. Strange, though. It didn't seem that way.

Or you could just resort to name calling.

Im not going to go through the entire game noting every instance just because you can't open your eyes or engage your brain. For goodness sake, Gailey talked about it after the game as well. Tell the head coach he is wrong. Im not going to waste my time with your ridiculousness.