Why did Chan keep [Smith and McGee]

Niagara Bill

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

I appreciate your viewpoint, but don't we already have several recent threads discussing these topics?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP. Some of these people will never get it. Nor can they provide any factual evidence for either player making the roster with the exception of about 20 dumb plays last season for Brad Smith in the dumb WC offense. Which really doesn't say anything about Brad Smith considering it could just be the offensive formation. Sure McGee was good 4 years ago when he was young and healthy but he hasn't been that in a long time. He will play week 1, get injured on by halftime and then we will be screwed.

I agree with you but there's no sense in this argument. It's been beaten to death.

To the OP. Some of these people will never get it. Nor can they provide any factual evidence for either player making the roster with the exception of about 20 dumb plays last season for Brad Smith in the dumb WC offense. Which really doesn't say anything about Brad Smith considering it could just be the offensive formation. Sure McGee was good 4 years ago when he was young and healthy but he hasn't been that in a long time. He will play week 1, get injured on by halftime and then we will be screwed.

I agree with you but there's no sense in this argument. It's been beaten to death.

Still waiting the the better #5 receivers around the league.

I've posted this in like 3-4 threads without a single reply. The list must be long if it's so obvious he doesn't belong. Additionally the guys released have really been snapped up. Couldn't get any of them back if need be.

Edited by NoSaint

I've posted this in like 3-4 threads without a single reply. The list must be long if it's so obvious he doesn't belong. Additionally the guys released have really been snapped up. Couldn't get any of them back if need be.

Namaan Roosevelt catches absolutely everything and was statistically better than BS last year at the position.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

Some truth in that one line above. Also, zero attempts other than a reach for TJ Graham to finally get some real NFL receivers here. Yet some still believe that signing Easley to the practice squad is a good thing. Like the light will turn on. He was here for 3 NFL camps, he sucks. Time to move on.

Namaan Roosevelt catches absolutely everything and was statistically better than BS last year at the position.

I'm not sure what this means to you in this context. Explain/Linky?

I do hope it includes # receptions (BS: 23 NR: 16), targets and drops and not just YPA or something? And then there's BS rushing yardage, and his KR yardage.

I like Roosevelt. I really really like Roosevelt. I also think it's difficult to construct an objective argument that he was more valuable to the Bills last year than Smith was.

I'm not sure what this means to you in this context. Explain/Linky?

I do hope it includes # receptions (BS: 23 NR: 16), targets and drops and not just YPA or something? And then there's BS rushing yardage, and his KR yardage.

I like Roosevelt. I really really like Roosevelt. I also think it's difficult to construct an objective argument that he was more valuable to the Bills last year than Smith was.

Ok. I admit I'm wrong about that statement. BS was statistically better as a WR last year as far as receptions goes. TDs were the same and NM had a few more yards. I guess my hatred for BS got the better of me here. I don't think however it's much better (a few receptions) and I do give NM a little more credit due to the fact that he's so young. BS is a veteran and with so many excuses for him you'd think he was much better than he actually was last year. I will agree that IF Chan keeps him at the WR position more this year, which I think is very likely considering the amount he played there in the last few pre season games, he will have his best year statistically. I really hope he proves me and my hatred for him wrong this year. But I will be there to throw in a cheap shot every time he has a bad play.

About Smith....

As of last year, teams are allowed to dress an "emergency QB" who does not count against your game day total.

If you dress TT as the emergency QB, he'll sit on the bench, sip Gatorade and contribute nothing.

If you dress Smith as your emergency QB, you can let him run the Wildcat (which was effective in 3rd and short situations last year), as well as use him as backup KR and WR.

If you are going to dress an emergency QB, you might as well dress someone who will actually get on the field. By using Smith as the #3 QB, it's like we have an extra player every Sunday (he doesn't count toward the game day total). He might not be a great player at any position, but we get something from a role (emergency QB) that delivers nothing on most teams.

Here are two that they cut. HAGAN and ROOSEVELT. They are both better than Brad Smith as a WR

Some truth in that one line above. Also, zero attempts other than a reach for TJ Graham to finally get some real NFL receivers here. Yet some still believe that signing Easley to the practice squad is a good thing. Like the light will turn on. He was here for 3 NFL camps, he sucks. Time to move on.

Thank You BPA...unfortunately I believe he needs to be honored on the Wall of Fame before they do so. Never seen so much hype for a player that was a 4th round pick 3 years ago and that has the same profile as about 100 other free agent WR's in the league. His counterpart on defense....Shawne Merriman

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

I agree. Keeping those guys doesn't make sense.

Here are two that they cut. HAGAN and ROOSEVELT. They are both better than Brad Smith as a WR

I'm a fan of both Hagan and Rosie. Objectively, the "better than Brad Smith" may be a little hard to argue. The fact is, BS had more receptions than either of them last year (13 for Hagen, 16 for Rosie, and keep in mind BS wasn't played at WR until injuries decimated our WR). Perhaps one needs to get into details of # of targets, drops, YAC, or fine points it's hard for us to discern from the sidelines such as route running. There's also the point that Smith adds yards rushing and KR that last year, Hagan and Roosevelt didn't.

I'm not saying they don't have more potential as WRs - I think they do - but it's not the slam dunk "stupid to keep BS" "makes no sense" move that's being argued here, even in limited use last year Smith contributed more than most people think, and it's not like either Hagen or Roosevelt came in and knocked everyone's socks off.

Edited by Hopeful

I've looked at the cuts made, looked at the roster, and I think the only areas we're going to end up weak in are WR, maybe CB, and and maybe QB. In my opinion, though, these issues do not stem from any cuts - they stem from a lack of priority made to getting higher quality players - in the case of WR and QB. Our cornerback situation looks good, but if an injury or two were to occur, that could change quickly. Injuries are going to happen, though, and the cuts made were smart ones, I think - with the exception of Thigpen, I'd say, and that goes back to the mistake of not getting better quality in here sooner.

Hey - it's not a perfectly run team, but it is much, much better than we've had in a long time. I believe Nix has done a very good job of raising the level of talent on this team, to the point where we might be a playoff team now. My biggest gripe with Nix - virtually my only gripe of any substance - is that he's allowed the QB situation to unfold, over the last 3 years now, as it has, without having a young talent to turn to if Fitz falters. I just don't like hanging the total success or failure of the season on a QB who has such a poor history of success. In that regard, though, I hope very much he turns a corner.

I do believe, though, that Nix is looking at this team with a longer view, and that by giving the team over to Fitz totally, by not getting a younger QB in here with talent, he's allowing for a clean break next year if Fitz fails, and no one will be able to second guess it (probably meaning mostly Gailey). And, if Fitz plays well, then it just looks like Nix knew what he was doing all along. It might be the smartest decision of any, in the end.