Why did Chan keep [Smith and McGee]

Niagara Bill

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mcgee is fine and will practice monday... smith is versatile and allows us to keep extra players a certain spots.

wtf

WTF

Smith can't play any of the positions he is slotted for...is he a receiver or QB, or kick returner....IMHO he has never demonsxtrated ability to be a success in any of those spots. How would you like to see him a game as QB?

And McGee is not ready, he is potentially ready, as he has been since July.

perhaps you dont really watch football games? With the jets Brad Smith was explosive in the return game - we havent needed to use him in that role much because we have plenty of depth in the return game....Brad Smith is the emergency QB and 5th WR - but where his value is will be in the Wildcat formation - which if you watched/remembered, he was quite successful with last season (see: third and shorts), and Chan himself even admitted he didnt have the ability to really use Brad last year like he wanted, and like he will this year, because of the non-existant offseason..so Brads role will certainly grow this year..but as for you basically saying hes talent less and has had no game impact ever, thats basically retarded...

but I do agree we should have found a way to keep a WR (maybe the plan is to sneak one or two on PS and then when Jackson learns offense and we cut Thigpen we bring one of them onto active roster?)

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

Gailey all but said that Brooks will be going the new recallable IR on Monday. They'll sign another player then that will either be a CB or WR I imagine. Could be Easley which will instantly put him to returning KOs

I'm not a Smith fan. I think the Bills need at least 5 real WRs. I also thought that they should've given Potter a shot to win the kicker job outright and possibly cut Lindell.

But saying all that, the only two players that they cut that I was hoping to keep on the team were Gilbert and Carder because of their developmental prospects. It looks like Gilbert will be on the practice squad and I suspect that there was something behind the scene with Carder. So they didn't really lose out on anything that they can't scoop up off the waiver wire as needed.

Edited by vincec

Gailey all but said that Brooks will be going the new recallable IR on Monday. They'll sign another player then that will either be a CB or WR I imagine. Could be Easley which will instantly put him to returning KOs

Are we going to be talking about Easley for the next 20 years? Did you watch the same preseason where he dropped a ton of balls, ran with the 3rd team offense and was able to make 1 Kickoff return where on the other 5 or so he was stopped before the 20. Easley has no place on the active roster as of now, nor on any other team. He is the true definition of "practice squad player" in that he has potential (i guess and most on here would say) but he is no where near NFL ready.

If they bring back any WR it would be Hagan or Roosevelt. Most likely though they will pick up a CB with having 3 healthy (Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin) and 2 coming off injury (McGee, Rodgers).

Brad Smith and McGee.

Ok, first all those players cut were not NFL players. Every football season each of the NFL teams bring in guys who might have excelled in college but just can't cut it in the NFL. Some have cute names and others amazing video's but in the end the NFL takes the ability to process complex offensive and defensive schemes plus the talent to do everything at a much faster pace than college. Each team has success stories and other stories where the fan-base thinks management and coaches failed miserably in their analysis.

What's interesting is that not a single one of us who posts on boards or who are fans have met the qualifications to be a college coach much less a professional scout or coach of general manager. I'll give credit to those men who have spent their lives doing something we all do as a hobby or passion..

Finally we have a Bills' roster that on final cut down day led to other teams taking our waste ... Carder, Heard, ASPER, etc.. Does that mean that perhaps ASPER will be a PRO BOWL center and we'll all point fingers? Could be but he didn't show his abilities here. As for Carder ... the not so good fit I take to mean that his ability to grasp the Bills' complex defense didn't match his college physical skills (I was one of many loving his story and wanting him to make it just like I was with Jasper.).

As for Brad Smith ... there's no doubt that the Jets would grab him if we cut him and probably quite a few teams. Last year Gailey has said that there was not enough time to fully develop our Wild Cat and then injuries hit the roster. I can remember his talent from the Jets' days and am anxious to see if given the time to work on the Wild Cat whether the Bills have something special too. It's clear that neither Gailey nor Nix had any intention of letting him go.

As for McGee ... Brooks injury really does hurt but McGee gives us that experience that is needed on the field and in the locker room at a relatively low cost. He is not going to start but he is better than Florence and if healthy is a plus on the field for us. I honestly did not think he was going to make the final cut because of his health situation.

And, the final note ... the roster you see today will not be the one that is in the Meadowlands next week ... some guys are going to get the Turk's call and who knows we may all be surprised by those who aren't wearing Bills' colors this season.

GO BILLS ... time to unleash what we have on those Jets!

** I don't know where I got Archer earlier today either ... thanks to all who called my mistake to my attention ... it's ASPER not ARCHER (Should never post things before the first cup of coffee.)

Edited by shoretalk

WTF

Smith can't play any of the positions he is slotted for...is he a receiver or QB, or kick returner....IMHO he has never demonsxtrated ability to be a success in any of those spots. How would you like to see him a game as QB?

And McGee is not ready, he is potentially ready, as he has been since July.

I agree with you about Smith. He is a jack of all trades and master on none. I don't think he is much good at anything but I can understand why they kept him. His versatility is what helped him win a roster spot.

Ok, first all those players cut were not NFL players. Every football season each of the NFL teams bring in guys who might have excelled in college but just can't cut it in the NFL. Some have cute names and others amazing video's but in the end the NFL takes the ability to process complex offensive and defensive schemes plus the talent to do everything at a much faster pace than college. Each team has success stories and other stories where the fan-base thinks management and coaches failed miserably in their analysis.

What's interesting is that not a single one of us who posts on boards or who are fans have met the qualifications to be a college coach much less a professional scout or coach of general manager. I'll give credit to those men who have spent their lives doing something we all do as a hobby or passion..

Finally we have a Bills' roster that on final cut down day led to other teams taking our waste ... Carder, Heard, Archer, etc.. Does that mean that perhaps Archer will be a PRO BOWL center and we'll all point fingers? Could be but he didn't show his abilities here. As for Carder ... the not so good fit I take to mean that his ability to grasp the Bills' complex defense didn't match his college physical skills (I was one of many loving his story and wanting him to make it just like I was with Jasper.).

As for Brad Smith ... there's no doubt that the Jets would grab him if we cut him and probably quite a few teams. Last year Gailey has said that there was not enough time to fully develop our Wild Cat and then injuries hit the roster. I can remember his talent from the Jets' days and am anxious to see if given the time to work on the Wild Cat whether the Bills have something special too. It's clear that neither Gailey nor Nix had any intention of letting him go.

As for McGee ... Brooks injury really does hurt but McGee gives us that experience that is needed on the field and in the locker room at a relatively low cost. He is not going to start but he is better than Florence and if healthy is a plus on the field for us. I honestly did not think he was going to make the final cut because of his health situation.

And, the final note ... the roster you see today will not be the one that is in the Meadowlands next week ... some guys are going to get the Turk's call and who knows we may all be surprised by those who aren't wearing Bills' colors this season.

GO BILLS ... time to unleash what we have on those Jets!

who the hell is Archer?

This crap again? Look, if you don't agree with Chan and Buddy, fine, but they've made it clear as freaking day that Brad Smith is a significant part of what they want to do. Starting threads asking why Smith is on the roster is a waste of everyone's time.

Happy freaking Labor Day.

I agree with you about Smith. He is a jack of all trades and master on none. I don't think he is much good at anything but I can understand why they kept him. His versatility is what helped him win a roster spot.

Still waiting on the long list of teams with better wrs at 5/6.

It's so comical when a fan actually thinks they are smarter than an NFL coach. Not to say they never make mistakes but to question them based on your own evaluation of what they should do is absolutely ridiculous.

I know I'll get the responses "this is what a blog is for, if you don't like it don't come here". Well that's not it, we come here to express our opinion. Our opinions are usually based on small tidbits of information or from our untrained eyes. Opinions are the cornerstone of what we do here and that's what makes this fun.

But it's when the fan gets belligerent and thinks his OPINION is fact, is when it gets silly to me.