Marv Levy [gets no respect]

Max Fischer

As the Bills enter a new season trying to break the umpteenth year streak without a playoff appearance, I continue to be dumbfounded by the comments some fans make about Marv Levy.

I could throw around words like "disrespect" or question whether anyone who downplays his fantastic contributions to the Bills could still be a real fan.

I could rattle off word after word listing his tremendous accomplishments. For example, in the 90 year history of pro football, the Hall of Fame has only inducted 21 coaches. 21. And only two who became a head coach after Levy (Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh).

Instead, I will say why I love the guy. It's simply because he makes me proud to be a Bills fan. Fans talk a lot about winning a Super Bowl before they die, I hope Marv gets to see it as well.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw, a few years ago I posted the accomplishments of the other HOF head coaches and Marvs were pretty much dead last. Just saying. His record is if not the worst, the 2nd worst as far as wins is concerned and he's never gotten a SB trophy, unlike every other coach in the Hall except for 1 or 2 but thier winning %s are among the best in history. No disrespect, he is what he is. An above average coach that had a huge supporting cast from the GM all the way down to his players. If Marv could have grounded them for the few weeks leading up to the SBs we probably would have won 1 or 2. Even Cornelius Bennett when he was there with the Falcons made comments in the media about how the Bills players were all living up the party life when they should have been outcoached. I lovearv and everything he's done but he lost us games because he couldn't keep his millionaire prima donnas in check.

He was a pretty damn good coach. We can leave it at that. But he's no BB, Shula, Parcells or Gibb that's for sure. He might be one of the best we've had, but that doesn't mean we need to kiss the guys feet. That's all.

I will admit that he makes me proud tobbe a Bills fan and I do wish he is able tobexperience it as well before he enters the tunnel for the last time.

Edited by mrags

In my view, the Super Bowl is the purest test of coaching ability since in most years there are two weeks to prepare for the game. Marv was 0-4. In his stint as GM, Marv took on a role he didn't want as a favor to Ralph. This speaks favorably to his character, but not so much for his judgement.

In my humble opinion, Marv set this franchise back about 4 - 5 years when he was GM. He should have turned down Ralph for the GM spot. The countless draft blunders still make me sick to my stomach - 2006 Donte Whitner when Haloti Ngata was available; trading up to draft the DT from NC State (Forgot his name already); 2007 not trading up to draft either Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis. Just awful.

We can say what we want with Buddy's 2010 draft, but Marv Levy tarnished his career with the GM job he did.

Even Cornelius Bennett when he was there with the Falcons made comments in the media about how the Bills players were all living up the party life when they should have been outcoached.

The players were unmanagable a-holes. Jim Kelly was the biggest one. I feel bad not only for Marv Levy but for Bill Polian and Ralph Wilson for having these egotistical jerks on their team. The Bills should have won SB XXV by a score of 38-20 if the team had grown ups playing the game.

Re: Marv Levy as GM. This was all Ralph Wilson's idea. Wilson dragged Marv from retirement to do him a favor.

Fwiw, a few years ago I posted the accomplishments of the other HOF head coaches and Marvs were pretty much dead last. Just saying. His record is if not the worst, the 2nd worst as far as wins is concerned and he's never gotten a SB trophy, unlike every other coach in the Hall except for 1 or 2 but thier winning %s are among the best in history. No disrespect, he is what he is. An above average coach that had a huge supporting cast from the GM all the way down to his players. If Marv could have grounded them for the few weeks leading up to the SBs we probably would have won 1 or 2. Even Cornelius Bennett when he was there with the Falcons made comments in the media about how the Bills players were all living up the party life when they should have been outcoached. I lovearv and everything he's done but he lost us games because he couldn't keep his millionaire prima donnas in check.

He was a pretty damn good coach. We can leave it at that. But he's no BB, Shula, Parcells or Gibb that's for sure. He might be one of the best we've had, but that doesn't mean we need to kiss the guys feet. That's all.

I will admit that he makes me proud tobbe a Bills fan and I do wish he is able tobexperience it as well before he enters the tunnel for the last time.

I agree, this is true. Also, Jimbo and the boys were too free to party and chase before the biggest game of their life.

I don't know why nobody talks about the fact that we quite possibly could've won one of those Super Bowls if we would've had an oversized noseguard imposing his will on the other team. I always thought Jeff Wright was too small for what this team needed. This is especially true when you consider the book ends of his career, Fred Smerlas and Ted Washington.

Jimbo and the boys were too free to party and chase before the biggest game of their life.

This is THE reason why we lost SB XXV.

I've always felt that the NFL Hall Of Fame committee that voted Marv Levy in to the HOF realized that they were finally giving him the Ring that his 1990-1991 Buffalo Bills players denied him when they lost SB XXV due to their player partying in Tampa excesses.

Edited by PearlHowardman

I've always felt that the NFL Hall Of Fame committee that voted Marv Levy in to the HOF realized that they were finally giving him the Ring that his 1990-1991 Buffalo Bills players denied him when they lost SB XXV due to their player partying in Tampa excesses.

Please please my friends, stop with the "they partied and lost" meme. That is pure hindsight. The Raiders won three super bowls with partiers, and indeed when Oakland beat Philly in SB XV in New Orleans, the hindsight meme was, "the Raiders were loose because they were on Bourbon Street while Dick Vermeil had the uptight Iggles on lockdown." Hell, one famous pic from Tampa was Kelly partying with Lawrence Taylor! They lost for many reasons; partying was way down the list, and was brought up by people like Biscuit in retrospect.

Under another HC perhaps that wouldn't have happened? Marv was a good guy and a decent HC but he never got the best from those teams because he never demanded it. There is a reason why teams have coaches, somebody has to lead, set the tone for the organization.

Marv did less with more as a HC.

i loved marv as the bills head coach, but obviously not enamored with his time as GM. i agree with the poster that his drafts during his GM tenure set the franchise back, as covered numerous times on here, the trading of pick(s) to land mccargo has to rank as one of the all-time draft blunders of the bills(and there have been many). again, while liking the guy, he projected a persona of being consumed with wanting to be the "smartest guy in the room". i am in no way saying that fans have all the answers, but he seemed to make decisions that ran counter to common sense just to show the fans that he knew better.

Edited by dwight in philly

Give it a rest. You have posted the same insane dribble for 24 hours now. We hear ya.You act like you were there. You were not. Also, the Giants were not locked in their rooms eating cornflakes. That is for sure.

If you want to sell hearsay, here's something to consider. The Raiders were doing blow on the sidelines when they won a super bowl. No, those tubes were not full of nasal decongestants. Marv, had his butt handed to him by parcells. He was out coached. He also hands down had the best team in the NFL that year. he couldn't get the job done.

That said, Marv is the 2nd best coach ever of the Bills. he has my respect along with the players of those teams.

In other news, Babe Ruth got drunk before big games.