Marv Levy [gets no respect]

Max Fischer

agree that Walt Corey was a boob -total fail by Marv to not fire that him

however, Norwood's range was 40 yards

any kick over that was an adventure

So it was Polian's fault that he didn't sign us a better kicker?

I'm okay with that.

But I think it's silly to blame Marv or Polian for four consecutive Super Bowls (win or lose). The Bills were in the toilet before those two took over.

Great guy, class act, intelligent leader, good motivator for those that were open to his style of coaching.

I think if Parcells had our team in those superbowl years we have several rings to show for it.

In a way Marv was sort of along for the ride, In most cases Marv (and Marchibroda) had no idea what play Jimbo was going to call next, They were just like the rest of us fans watching a great no-huddle offense stacked with talent roll over opposing defenses. Marv decided when to go for it and when to punt or try a field goal--simple stuff. He called a few timeouts but Jimbo called most of em.

When Marv said they wouldn't have drafted Patrick Willis even if SF didn't that was the kicker for me. Bad GM. He might have taken his character thing a little too far.

Edited by Webster Guy

As the Bills enter a new season trying to break the umpteenth year streak without a playoff appearance, I continue to be dumbfounded by the comments some fans make about Marv Levy.

I could throw around words like "disrespect" or question whether anyone who downplays his fantastic contributions to the Bills could still be a real fan.

I could rattle off word after word listing his tremendous accomplishments. For example, in the 90 year history of pro football, the Hall of Fame has only inducted 21 coaches. 21. And only two who became a head coach after Levy (Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh).

Instead, I will say why I love the guy. It's simply because he makes me proud to be a Bills fan. Fans talk a lot about winning a Super Bowl before they die, I hope Marv gets to see it as well.

It has been popular, for a few years here, to crap all over the Super Bowl era Bills teams...it's what the cook kids do! :thumbdown:

So it was Polian's fault that he didn't sign us a better kicker?

I'm okay with that.

But I think it's silly to blame Marv or Polian for four consecutive Super Bowls (win or lose). The Bills were in the toilet before those two took over.

I do wonder, sometimes, how old some of the people are who post here. The perception that Norwood was a bad kicker is so far off base..Norwood was a huge part of many of the teams victories between 1988-1990...he may not have had the range of Steve Christie. The way some people act, it's as if Levy was a moron for not realizing that Norwood could never make a 47 yard kick. Sure, he had missed a few in that range, but he had also made a few. The revisionist history that goes on here (not you, by others) is maddeing!

Edited by Buftex

It has been popular, for a few years here, to crap all over the Super Bowl era Bills teams...it's what the cook kids do! :thumbdown:

Define "crap all over." Because I think most of us have been very excited to see our guys enter the Hall and get the recognition they deserve. We're also hoping to see more of them get that recognition, like Andre, Kent, and Tasker.

I don't think it's irrational or fashionable to discuss why these teams came so close without taking home any hardware. Is that perhaps overdone to a degree? Sure, but I think that's been a prominent attitude from the day they lost Super Bowl XXV, nothing new; the Bills are always not going to be quite good enough for fans until a Super Bowl victory washes that bad taste out. The fact that we haven't even seen the playoffs in 12 years probably makes people more inclined to be more negative, too.

I mean, I've made pains to call Marv "among the best," "very, very good," etc etc. I don't know what else I can do to make how I feel clear. Cheerleaders don't really add much to the conversation.

Go Bills! Though.

I do wonder, sometimes, how old some of the people are who post here. The perception that Norwood was a bad kicker is so far off base..Norwood was a huge part of many of the teams victories between 1988-1990...he may not have had the range of Steve Christie. The way some people act, it's as if Levy was a moron for not realizing that Norwood could never make a 47 yard kick. Sure, he had missed a few in that range, but he had also made a few. The revisionist history that goes on here (not you, by others) is maddeing!

revisionist history indeed

Norwood was money inside 40 yards

outside of that, he struggled, especially on grass, because he did not have a strong leg

It is well known that he overcompensated to get the distance in the SB because of his weak leg

Polian knew he needed a better kicker, but there was no free agency like there is now.

He did steal Steve Cristie the first chance he got, though

When Cristie is kicking 59 yarders and Norwood is struggling from beyond the 40 - there is a significant disadvantage

Marg Levy is a better leader of men than anything else.

Marv has a unique ability to draw people to him and bring together a group of people with different backgrounds and desires. He was an amazing mentor to his team, but he rarely ever was able to control them, especially before, during or after the Superbowls. Marv appeared to have no concern about Kelly's drinking and carousing behaviors. Kelly never addressed being counseled about his behavior or any restrictions placed upon him before any of the "Big Games".

Look at all the Superbowl winners. Their coaches had bedchecks and strict curfews. They ensured each player was sober before going to bed the night before the game. If Marv was such a great coach, why didn't he force Thurman back in after the fumble instead of letting him weasel out and sit on the bench? Where was the hip pointer after the game? Marv's legacy is that of leadership and mentoring, but his skill in coaching is certainly questionable. He didn't choose the players, Polian did. However, he did lead them back from despair after each loss, to repeat the process. Somewhere he should have addressed the partying and put a stop to it. That is what coaches do, they take responsiblity for their players. Marv failed in that regard.

Fwiw, a few years ago I posted the accomplishments of the other HOF head coaches and Marvs were pretty much dead last. Just saying. His record is if not the worst, the 2nd worst as far as wins is concerned and he's never gotten a SB trophy, unlike every other coach in the Hall except for 1 or 2 but thier winning %s are among the best in history. No disrespect, he is what he is. An above average coach that had a huge supporting cast from the GM all the way down to his players. If Marv could have grounded them for the few weeks leading up to the SBs we probably would have won 1 or 2. Even Cornelius Bennett when he was there with the Falcons made comments in the media about how the Bills players were all living up the party life when they should have been outcoached. I lovearv and everything he's done but he lost us games because he couldn't keep his millionaire prima donnas in check.

He was a pretty damn good coach. We can leave it at that. But he's no BB, Shula, Parcells or Gibb that's for sure. He might be one of the best we've had, but that doesn't mean we need to kiss the guys feet. That's all.

I will admit that he makes me proud tobbe a Bills fan and I do wish he is able tobexperience it as well before he enters the tunnel for the last time.

In my view, the Super Bowl is the purest test of coaching ability since in most years there are two weeks to prepare for the game. Marv was 0-4. In his stint as GM, Marv took on a role he didn't want as a favor to Ralph. This speaks favorably to his character, but not so much for his judgement.

Agreed

Marv has a unique ability to draw people to him and bring together a group of people with different backgrounds and desires. He was an amazing mentor to his team, but he rarely ever was able to control them, especially before, during or after the Superbowls. Marv appeared to have no concern about Kelly's drinking and carousing behaviors. Kelly never addressed being counseled about his behavior or any restrictions placed upon him before any of the "Big Games".

Look at all the Superbowl winners. Their coaches had bedchecks and strict curfews. They ensured each player was sober before going to bed the night before the game. If Marv was such a great coach, why didn't he force Thurman back in after the fumble instead of letting him weasel out and sit on the bench? Where was the hip pointer after the game? Marv's legacy is that of leadership and mentoring, but his skill in coaching is certainly questionable. He didn't choose the players, Polian did. However, he did lead them back from despair after each loss, to repeat the process. Somewhere he should have addressed the partying and put a stop to it. That is what coaches do, they take responsiblity for their players. Marv failed in that regard.

Lordy. Please read some of the other posts in this thread. The bolded statement is flat out false. Ask Max McGee about curfews...

As the Bills enter a new season trying to break the umpteenth year streak without a playoff appearance, I continue to be dumbfounded by the comments some fans make about Marv Levy.

I could throw around words like "disrespect" or question whether anyone who downplays his fantastic contributions to the Bills could still be a real fan.

I could rattle off word after word listing his tremendous accomplishments. For example, in the 90 year history of pro football, the Hall of Fame has only inducted 21 coaches. 21. And only two who became a head coach after Levy (Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh).

Instead, I will say why I love the guy. It's simply because he makes me proud to be a Bills fan. Fans talk a lot about winning a Super Bowl before they die, I hope Marv gets to see it as well.

Marv Levy gets more credit than he deserves. During four Super Bowls Marv was unable to control his players from mouthing off to the press and media about how they would win the Super Bowl. The Bills mouthed off some heavy crap which opposing teams used to fire up their teams. Most of the success the Bills had can be directly credited to Bill Pollian who also turned the Carolina Panthers, and the Indianapolis Colts into Super Bowl winners.