Chan Gailey won't rule out keeping 4 quarterbacks

HOUSE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why he hasn't cut TT is beyond me. They have no confidence in him. Why keep him around? Just to play the second half of the Detroit game? I bet TT gets cut after the Detroit game.

I completely agree but he is the only guy with any real experience, Brad Smith hasn't been at QB much this off season.

Edited by HOUSE

That's why they should have drafted a project QB this year. To be the 3rd QB on the depth chart. At least you have an upside vs. someone you know sucks.

Well I guess Buddy thought Young was the guy.

Edited by HOUSE

He's saying that until after the final pre-season game. Thigpen will be cut, make no mistake about that. Chan doesn't want to show his hand in case someone gets hurt in that last game and he has to keep Thigpen. Unless that happens, he is history.

It might be best to keep TT until TJ is up to speed in a few weeks. So, this means 1 less guy at another position for a couple of weeks, not a big deal. Being too quick to cut a QB is reckless, you cant ask a guy to go out there and fake it at QB and and expect to win.

A lot of guys on the board are cut happy with out reason that makes any cents.

Why he hasn't cut TT is beyond me. They have no confidence in him. Why keep him around? Just to play the second half of the Detroit game? I bet TT gets cut after the Detroit game.

Tim Graham says they need TT to play the majority of the Lions game. Fitz is only playing two serious and TJax doesn't know the playbook.

PTR

Well I guess Buddy thought Young was the guy.

Well he certainly thought one of the two would be the guy but yeah, he had to be hoping Young could come in and stake a claim. I think there's more to it than Young not being as good as Thigpen physically. I get the distinct impression Young just wasn't a good fit with the team, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Problem is if fitz gets killed 3 plays into the season ala Brady that one year.

This trade makes it hard to cut thigpen. Brad smith is now on the bubble but might slide in if they go short at wr/te

No chance. And today gailey reiterated that Brad Smith's position has not changed one bit and that he will still be the #3.

My reading of what Gailey said was, he was just being prudent. They won't know for several days how quickly Jackson picks up the offense. If they are not convinced he could play a half of football against a division rival like the Jets, but would need another week or two to get up to speed, they may be forced to keep Thigpen on the roster. My prediction is they will let Thigpen go on the final day, and risk Fitz not getting hurt until Jackson is ready.

There is also the issue of money. The basic notion that all contracts are guaranteed after the first week is not really true, but it likely applies to Thigpen. From what I know, you have to be a "vested veteran", which Thigpen would be. Each player, I believe, is allowed once in their career, to take their full pay from a team who releases them. I don't know of a year that Thigpen would have done this, so he probably still has that option, and the Bills would have to pay him 2.5 mil just for that one week or so.

They probably do not want to do that, another reason they likely roll the dice with TJ's limited knowledge of the playbook, Brad Smith's limited ability to play full time QB in an emergency situation, against the importance of the opening game against a division rival we may be fighting for a playoff spot against.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Thig gets a little more film with the first team to take with him to his next stop instead of Brad Smith demonstrating why he's listed as quarterback at all? I don't like this.

Tim Graham says they need TT to play the majority of the Lions game. Fitz is only playing two serious

He needs to lighten up a bit, and not take things so seriously. It's only preseason.

He needs to lighten up a bit, and not take things so seriously. It's only preseason.

LOL. Thank Swype autocorrect for that one.

I'm thinking TJ gets 2 qtrs of play in the Detroit game. He can hand off to Tashard Choice and throw simple routes.

Not that much. Mop up duty in the 4th maybe. The guy will have 1 day of practice. Wouldn't shock me if he doesn't play at all.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It might be best to keep TT until TJ is up to speed in a few weeks. So, this means 1 less guy at another position for a couple of weeks, not a big deal. Being too quick to cut a QB is reckless, you cant ask a guy to go out there and fake it at QB and and expect to win.

A lot of guys on the board are cut happy with out reason that makes any cents.

+1