Nix has had eye on Jackson for a while

HOUSE

Nix has had eye on Jackson for a while

Posted by Chris Brown on August 27, 2012 – 4:11 pm

While some might think that the acquisition of Tarvaris Jackson was in direct response to the failings of Vince Young in Bills uniform, Bills GM Buddy Nix would dispute that. He’s had his eye on Jackson for some time, all the way back to Jackson’s pro day in fact.

“We’ve always kept an eye on him,” said Nix. ”I was at his workout when he came out. He worked out at Auburn and I remember very well standing there and watching him throw and go through the workout. So I knew he was talented. Sometimes those guys where they are means a lot. So timing and maybe getting in the right place in the right system he’ll blossom and I hope he does.”

Nix wasn’t specific, but made it sound as though Jackson didn’t become available via trade until recently.

“The timing had a lot to do with when the guy came available,” he said. ”It wasn’t like something you could do earlier or whatever. It was just availability and a need to see if we can get better.”

Jackson was likely to be traded in the last 2 weeks when it appeared Russell Wlson could adequatly perform at least in a back up role. They signed flynn for more money this offseason so he want going to get cut.

Last year Jackson was a UFA...not sure if Buffalo talked with him but it was possible and believable. Jackson went to Seattle because his former OC in Minnesota (who was fired along with the head coach after 2010) went to Seattle. Jackson thought Seattle with them not signing Hasselback was his best option at QB given they had his OC so he knew the schemes.

Edited by djp14150

Jackson was likely to be traded in the last 2 weeks when it appeared Russell Wlson could adequatly perform at least in a back up role. They signed flynn for more money this offseason so he want going to get cut.

Last year Jackson was a UFA...not sure if Buffalo talked with him but it was possible and believable. Jackson went to Seattle because his former OC in Minnesota (who was fired along with the head coach after 2010) went to Seattle. Jackson thought Seattle with them not signing Hasselback was his best option at QB given they had his OC so he knew the schemes.

Good information there.......thanks :thumbsup:

always good to have the company shill put out some mindless propaganda to try and minimize the actual panic and desperation driving the trade

always good to have the company shill put out some mindless propaganda to try and minimize the actual panic and desperation driving the trade

Aside from your repetitive schtick rapidly getting real old real fast, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are flat out wrong with your baseless assumption.

Trade was required as we are down the list in free agency .. when he was cut he would have been picked up by someone else before we got our shot at him. I like the deal. Fitz hasn't made it through a season yet, this one will be no exception with how many passing plays Chan runs.

Trade was required as we are down the list in free agency .. when he was cut he would have been picked up by someone else before we got our shot at him. I like the deal. Fitz hasn't made it through a season yet, this one will be no exception with how many passing plays Chan runs.

I believe you are right. He would have gone elsewhere. Its a small price to pay for somebody that that Buddy Nix likes.

I remember Jackson looking good in Minnesota as a starter. There were other problems there, and a lot of changes made in the last few years - so, what Nix said about guys sometimes needing to be in the right system to fully maximize their talents could work out to our benefit. He seems to be the kind of QB Gailey prefers - quick on his feet, strong armed, and athletic. We'll see. I'm much more comfortable with Jackson as the backup than I was with Young - although Young was certainly talented, I really wondered if he'd be smart enough to run this offense. As for the period of time it'll take Jackson to get acclimated, I'm not real worried about that. He'll get a ton of attention from coaches, he'll have a month, probably, at least before he needs to do anything. I would say somewhere toward the middle of the season he should caught up enough to run the offense, which is fine, so long as he is capable from there out.

It is my understanding that the Bills did try to get Tarvaris last year. But Seattle beat them out. I'm sure that the OC in Minnesota may have played a role, but the other 4,000,000 reasons probably didn't hurt either. I'm sure we weren't going to pony up that jack for him. Ralph is cheap. Paul Allen is not.

It is my understanding that the Bills did try to get Tarvaris last year. But Seattle beat them out. I'm sure that the OC in Minnesota may have played a role, but the other 4,000,000 reasons probably didn't hurt either. I'm sure we weren't going to pony up that jack for him. Ralph is cheap. Paul Allen is not.

Yeah, ponying up $4m per year for Brad Smith was just so much cheaper.

GO BILLS!!!

I love all the posters who say our QB's suck AND then when we go out and get a new QB they say it was sucky management.

Must be fun wake up to every morning. <_<

I don't know if anyone listened to the TJax interview with John Murphy, but one of the things he said was that Coach Lee was also his coach in college. Call me crazy, but that little tidbit is significant.

I don't know if anyone listened to the TJax interview with John Murphy, but one of the things he said was that Coach Lee was also his coach in college. Call me crazy, but that little tidbit is significant.

Significant indeed.

To echo Dr. Fong, I too have lost faith in Fitz.

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.