Post game show

cmjoyce113

I don't know who heard the post game interviews with fitz and gailey but it's interesting that they both were unwavering in that Fitz wasn't bad tonight. Fitz said he thought he was "great." Gailey said he will look at the tape but thinks it will go with what he saw live that it wasn't on Fitz.

All I can say is you don't have that unwavering support if there isn't some truth to it.

Mate fans don't know everything that goes into each football play that is called?

Did anyone expect Gailey and his golden boy to criticize themselves. Come on.Don't be so naive.

Nobody is going to shoot themselves in the foot. If we continue to fail, I see Dave Wansteadt taking over by mid season as Head Coach

After all, the Defense is working just fine. Our offense sucks, and an O-6 start will spell the death knell for Gailey and Fitzy

I really really hope I am wrong.

I just would have liked to hear him say the running game was working (which he did) but admit he should have ran more. Killed the clock more and admit it was a mistake to take 2 timeouts for the Steelers at the end of the half, which led to a TD with less than 90 seconds.

Receivers ran wrong routes continuously, including SJ13 many times.

It seemed that way to me. Fitz was not good, but he didnt have a lot of time and surely he was not in sync with a bunch of the routes run.

Think of it though, if you didnt have any idea who made the mistake on the play or pattern, Fitz or _____, I'm betting against _____.

I just would have liked to hear him say the running game was working (which he did) but admit he should have ran more. Killed the clock more and admit it was a mistake to take 2 timeouts for the Steelers at the end of the half, which led to a TD with less than 90 seconds.

the running game was looking really nice with freddy, the cj fumble was bad, i felt really badly for him, but hopefully its an early reminder that you have to take care of the ball. but i think the timeouts were good on that last drive. the bills defense had been dominating up to that point. it seemed logical they would continue and then the bills would have been running their two minute offense. good plan, poor execution.

Did anyone expect Gailey and his golden boy to criticize themselves. Come on.Don't be so naive.

Nobody is going to shoot themselves in the foot. If we continue to fail, I see Dave Wansteadt taking over by mid season as Head Coach

After all, the Defense is working just fine. Our offense sucks, and an O-6 start will spell the death knell for Gailey and Fitzy

Oh you will be, and try using a zero instead of an oh!

They both have, in the past. Fitz has been known to say "its on me, I have to be better" and Gailey has been known to wish he had play calls back and say it's on him that the team isn't prepared or the like.

I got to wonder sometimes which game other people are watching.

Here's what I saw:

-in the first quarter, Fitz was 5-12 for 65 yds with 2 drops, a ball batted at the line, and an overthrow. I counted 7 rushing attempts for 35 yds. Both passing and running game working against good D. 7 points scored. Fitz had time to throw. Not great, but not awful and a couple of caught balls away from being decent.

-in the 2nd quarter, Wood left the game. Urbik moved to center, Rhinehart came in at guard. I wasn't clear on what happened at RT. Fitz was promptly sacked, and the Steelers were all over him like a cheap blanket. He had less time to throw, and the throws he made were either "throw it away" or off-target - often hit while he threw.

So my concern for the offense can be summarized in this point by a two word question: "Got Wood?"

"The Defense is working just fine"

-after the Spiller fumble, they failed to get the stop. Mistakes will happen. It's the D's job to keep them from turning into 7

-at the end of the 1st half, Pitt had 3rd and 9 on the Pitt 1 yrd line. There was NO pressure on that play, Roeth had all day to throw and he did his thing.

If letting a team come back from a 3-9 hole in the endzone to march 99 yds for a touch is your idea of "the D is working just fine" all I can say is it isn't mine.

I don't know as I blame the players - it seems to me that Wannstache called some stupid prevent thing designed to give up the short pass but contain, because there had been fantastic pressure and all of a sudden there was no pressure at all. But there is no excuse for that kind of D.

Receivers ran wrong routes continuously, including SJ13 many times.

How do you know that?

It just looked like Fitz was wildly inaccurate all night. Even his few really nice completions (like the long Nelson one) were a bit off

I didn't see that at all. There were points where Fitz was threading it (Chandler drop - ball went right into his hands).

There were two times when the ball got to a spot that was 3 feet shifted from where SJ was, or when he still had his back turned when the ball arrived and the announcer commented that it was a miscommunication between Fitz and the receiver. The second time SJ turned around with his hands splayed out in a "what are you thinking?" gesture. I couldn't tell what side the miscue was on, but it was definitely a miscue and not inaccuracy.

What I saw was that after the 1st Q, with two starters (maybe 3) on the OL replaced, Fitz had no freaking time and was being hit while he threw.

Edited by Hopeful

I am not sure about the defense. Wannstadt has done nothing to impress me. yet.

The Woodman needs to be healthy this year for the offense to succeed. Once he is in for all the snaps the tackles will look much better.

Alot of room for improvement sure, but doomed, hardly.

Once we pare the starters down and stop moving players things will pick up.

I think gelling is the word they use.

I am not sure about the defense. Wannstadt has done nothing to impress me. yet.

The Woodman needs to be healthy this year for the offense to succeed. Once he is in for all the snaps the tackles will look much better.

Alot of room for improvement sure, but doomed, hardly.

Once we pare the starters down and stop moving players things will pick up.

I think gelling is the word they use.

i think this makes a lot of sense. offense and defense both will benefit from stability and experience.

Edited by swnybillsfan

They both have, in the past. Fitz has been known to say "its on me, I have to be better" and Gailey has been known to wish he had play calls back and say it's on him that the team isn't prepared or the like.

I got to wonder sometimes which game other people are watching.

Here's what I saw:

-in the first quarter, Fitz was 5-12 for 65 yds with 2 drops, a ball batted at the line, and an overthrow. I counted 7 rushing attempts for 35 yds. Both passing and running game working against good D. 7 points scored. Fitz had time to throw. Not great, but not awful and a couple of caught balls away from being decent.

-in the 2nd quarter, Wood left the game. Urbik moved to center, Rhinehart came in at guard. I wasn't clear on what happened at RT. Fitz was promptly sacked, and the Steelers were all over him like a cheap blanket. He had less time to throw, and the throws he made were either "throw it away" or off-target - often hit while he threw.

So my concern for the offense can be summarized in this point by a two word question: "Got Wood?"

"The Defense is working just fine"

-after the Spiller fumble, they failed to get the stop. Mistakes will happen. It's the D's job to keep them from turning into 7

-at the end of the 1st half, Pitt had 3rd and 9 on the Pitt 1 yrd line. There was NO pressure on that play, Roeth had all day to throw and he did his thing.

If letting a team come back from a 3-9 hole in the endzone to march 99 yds for a touch is your idea of "the D is working just fine" all I can say is it isn't mine.

I don't know as I blame the players - it seems to me that Wannstache called some stupid prevent thing designed to give up the short pass but contain, because there had been fantastic pressure and all of a sudden there was no pressure at all. But there is no excuse for that kind of D.

How do you know that?

I didn't see that at all. There were points where Fitz was threading it (Chandler drop - ball went right into his hands).

There were two times when the ball got to a spot that was 3 feet shifted from where SJ was, or when he still had his back turned when the ball arrived and the announcer commented that it was a miscommunication between Fitz and the receiver. The second time SJ turned around with his hands splayed out in a "what are you thinking?" gesture. I couldn't tell what side the miscue was on, but it was definitely a miscue and not inaccuracy.

What I saw was that after the 1st Q, with two starters (maybe 3) on the OL replaced, Fitz had no freaking time and was being hit while he threw.

In all seriousness... this is too accurate and rational to work around here.

Pretty sure gailey said there were a number of receivers ran wrong routes...gotta trust the coach wouldn't throw the receivers under the bus

How do folks know receivers ran the wrong routes?

It just looked like Fitz was wildly inaccurate all night. Even his few really nice completions (like the long Nelson one) were a bit off

the running game was looking really nice with freddy, the cj fumble was bad, i felt really badly for him, but hopefully its an early reminder that you have to take care of the ball. but i think the timeouts were good on that last drive. the bills defense had been dominating up to that point. it seemed logical they would continue and then the bills would have been running their two minute offense. good plan, poor execution.

If the Bills had looked any better on offense I'd agree with this. However, they had multiple chances at or around the 50 yard line already and didn't show anything really up to that point. I just think considering the situation, you take the lead into halftime and then get the ball back in the 2nd half anyway. Yeah, if they stop them, then score, go into the half up by 14 and then score out the gates in the 2nd half, you could winthe game off that alone. And I wouldn't down them for trying most times, but that drive deflated the team, the crowd, and the Bills chances. The crowd gave up after that long 3rd down. I honestly think many thought it was only a matter of time after that.

If the Bills had looked any better on offense I'd agree with this. However, they had multiple chances at or around the 50 yard line already and didn't show anything really up to that point. I just think considering the situation, you take the lead into halftime and then get the ball back in the 2nd half anyway. Yeah, if they stop them, then score, go into the half up by 14 and then score out the gates in the 2nd half, you could winthe game off that alone. And I wouldn't down them for trying most times, but that drive deflated the team, the crowd, and the Bills chances. The crowd gave up after that long 3rd down. I honestly think many thought it was only a matter of time after that.

to me, and i'm often wrong, the bills' offense just looked like they weren't clicking. maybe timing, maybe communication, maybe just familiarity, i don't know. but i keep thinking that i'm waiting for something to just snap back into place and they will be up and running. this is either going to be really good for the bills, or really bad for me.

I don't know who heard the post game interviews with fitz and gailey but it's interesting that they both were unwavering in that Fitz wasn't bad tonight. Fitz said he thought he was "great." Gailey said he will look at the tape but thinks it will go with what he saw live that it wasn't on Fitz.

You know, maybe you can help me out here. I went and listened to both the Fitz and Gailey interviews after I read (and initially responded to) some posts on this topic.

I can not find anywhere in the interview anywhere that Fitz said he was great.

There was a place where he said he "felt good" and several where he said he "felt comfortable" , mostly in the context of expressing confidence in his teammates and his understanding of what the D was doing. He also expressed that he has a lot of confidence in himself

I didn't hear anything like "I was great" or "he was great".

I did hear Gailey express that he didn't think Fitz was inaccurate, he thought he would see on film that the WR weren't where they were expected to be.

Could you help me out here? Where in the interview did the "was great" part occur and I'll watch it again using your insight?

Edited by Hopeful

This thread is like deja vu.

I remember these same comments last year at this time. Hell, we all KNEW it was going to be a hell of a fight against the Chiefs...and while we weren't going to win, we hoped that we would at least see the offense take a step forward. We also KNEW what we had in Merriman...since he had destroyed one O line after the next. Fitz was a mediocre QB, who we had to go with, because of the Edwards disaster, and the hope was: The Chiefs woouldn't blow us out because of Fred.

But...

None of that was true.

I find it hard to believe that posters are dumb enough to get fooled twice, by the same thing, from the same player, and from the same coach.

I guess they are. I wonder: why in the hell are you guys signing up for all this? Don't you realize how easy it can be for Fitz/Chan to make you look foolish?

Seems like, given the night/day transition from preseason to game 1 last year....you'd be a little more careful, patient, smarter, whatever.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

All I can say is you don't have that unwavering support if there isn't some truth to it.

Mate fans don't know everything that goes into each football play that is called?

Drowning men grasp at straws because of a lack of options.

"it seems to me that Wannstache called some stupid prevent thing designed to give up the short pass but contain" That is so old school. I hope our coaches are up with the times and realize that the only thing that a "prevent D" does is prevent you from winning. I agree about being concerned about the coaching staff for our D.

I think Fitz usually makes the correct read -- but just sometime has trouble placing the ball. He seems to hit those slant routes and iintermediate routes pretty well. he just has ZERO touch on the deep routes. Kinda like the anti-J.P. Losman.

Edited by 2003Contenders

I was at the game so I had to wait until yesterday to get a good look on TV. In my opinion the only offensive starter that looked good was FredEx.

Several others looked OK, and the rest looked like they still needed a lot of work. And God help the Bills if any starters get hurt this season. With few exceptions, the backups look terrible.

Not much time left until the opener and the starters probably won't see much work against the Lions. So we will see how much they improve and what Gaileys megamind plan is for the season. Some good news is I watched the first 3 quarters of the Jests dress rehearsal yesterday and they made the Bills look like superbowl contenders by comparison.

Can't wait for Sept. 9 to get here so we can get past all the "preseason is meaningless; no it isn't" stuff and know for sure just how much the Bills have improved. Because you know for a fact they will be bringing all they have against the Jests.

Edited by CodeMonkey