ESPN the Magazine has the Bills at 11-5 in 2012 . . .

1B4IDie

and Missing the Playoffs to a 12-4 Broncos Wild Card team!!!!

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Good news is the winner of the AFC West is more likely to be 9-7 and second place in the AFC West has no wild card hopes; None the less that was pretty painful to read.

No link because it is in ESPN the Magazine.

I don't know if I could survive that happening.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do they have winning the AFC West and at what record? O.o

I can see us finishing with a good record and missing the playoffs, though. I'd be 'ok' with that, as it'd show we've made progress. I won't be able to take another 6-10 season (or worse).

Let's not forget folks that it happened to the Patriots in 2008 when they were lead by Matt "I've come to claim my" Cassel. Strong records from Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, and Indianapolis boxed the Patriots out of the playoffs by virtue of the tiebreaker, despite posting an 11-5 record. Let's just look at the divisions and who could be contenders:

AFC East - New England is probably the only clear contender out of the gates. Buffalo and the Jets are TBD. Dolphins should not be in the race.

AFC North - Pittsburgh, Baltimore and an upcoming Cincinnati team are all in the mix. Cleveland probably not.

AFC South - Houston and Tennesee are probably the contenders. Jacksonville and Indy are rebuilding.

AFC West - Denver and San Diego for sure. Oakland and Kansas City if their star RB's stay healthy.

In my opinion, there's a lot of teams that are somewhat "on the level" with each other going into this season. As such, I don't see the AFC playing out like it did in 2008 where there were just a couple of really strong teams that boxed the Patriots out of a playoff spot despite going 11-5. In fact, I think 11-5 could win the AFC East outright. Depends on the record within the division and whether the Bills start playing a lot better on the road than they have. I guess we will see if that's true in Week 1 against the New Jersey Jets.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs, but it certainly is an anomaly. Then, there's the fact the Broncos get to play the Pats, Texans, Falcons, Saints and the AFC North this year. That means that the team which barely squeaked into the playoffs gets to play seven superior, and I'm not sold that Peyton Manning is their savior.

Then you have the AFC south, which was pretty muddled. The Colts are rebuilding but they won't be the joke they were last season. The Texans will be recovered from their crazy injuries. I see the Texans taking the division and the rest doing enough so that they aren't win factories.

The AFC North is the real trouble. They have three playoff teams (Ravens, Steelers, Bengals) who get to play the weaker AFC West, so their conference record is probably going to be strong.

Lets pretend Denver can get do 12 wins, who else is the AFC West is capable of 12+ wins?

Good point. Even if they have the incredible boost by a QB who hasn't played in a year and is getting older, while playing some of the best teams in the conference, I really don't see the Chargers, Raiders or Chiefs having a season like that playing against the AFC North.

The AFC North is the real trouble. They have three playoff teams (Ravens, Steelers, Bengals) who get to play the weaker AFC West, so their conference record is probably going to be strong.

I agree with almost everything you posted except I don't think the AFC West will be that weak this year. I think the Chiefs are going to be a surprise team this year. The Chargers and Broncos will be decent and the Raiders are a wild card but tough none the less.

Lets pretend Denver can get do 12 wins, who else is the AFC West is capable of 12+ wins?

I'm like 90% sure they are talking about kc. Does anyone watch nfl network anymore???

They have Jamaal Charles. +1200 yards easily if healthy

They have Peyton Hillis. +1200 yards easily if healthy

They have Bowe. +1200 yards easily if healthy

Matt Cassel is playing better. Of course he is. A qbs best friend is a good running back. Dude has 2!

Also their defense is supposed to better. A lot of injured players that did not help last year are back.

Most likely the magazine (I have not read it) has Denver winning it. Then Kc, then San Diego (SD has A LOT OF holes right now). Then Raiders.

You beat me to it. How does Denver rate for 12 wins. Manning is a great improvement, but I thought they were in a little more trouble than that.

Based on their good defense and their upgrade at qb. I believe the hype.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

I don't see the Broncos getting 12 wins at all. Payton will work wonders if he stays healthy but I just don't see it. I also don't see any other team in thier division getting to 12 to beat them, especially considering they would have to play each other twice. I haven't read the schedules but if it's true the AFC W plays the AFC N, I don't see them getting 12 wins against that division either. The Ravens, Steelers and Bengals are just too darn tough. If espn said we'd lose out to the Bengals then I could believe it but not the Broncos in a wild card race. The Broncos might be that good and make the playoff but ibdont see anyone else doing it in the W. SD ALWAYS looks like the front runner nut always struggles. KC, regardless what people say about thier players isn't that good. Payton Hillis is a joke imo. Anyone that thinks he's a good RB must also think Tim Tebow is a good QB. They are the same type of player. It's laughable to even name him as a threat IMO. The rest of the team is good, but nothing more than the Bills at thier skill positions and we don't get that much love. I Wonder why?!? The Raiders are also full of some good players but always seem to have problems. With new management and a rediculous QB I font think they are going anywhere. Just My Opinion.