Can Mario tie or break Bruce's single season sack record?

Can Mario tie or break Bruce's single season sack record?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mario tie or break Bruce's single season sack record?

In 2007, Mario Williams posted his best career stats with the Houston Texans when he had 59 Tackles (43 solo, 16 assisted) 14 sacks, 1 Pass Defended (PD), 1 Forced Fumble (FF). Considering Williams was the only true pass rusher on that Texan team, with no good Defensive Tackles (DT’s) on the defensive line beside him, those stats are very impressive.

Mario Williams this season will be playing along with Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Mark Anderson/Chris Kelsay, plus the fact that he will be playing against weaker Offensive Tackles in the league with playing the LDE position, it is very possible that Williams could break his career best of 14 sacks. But, can Mario tie or break the Bills single season sack record of 19 (which is held by Hall of Fame DE Bruce Smith) sometime during the course of his career in Buffalo?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I dot see it happening because he isnt the only one who will get to the QB.

One advantage that Bruce Smoth had was playing with the K-gun offense. They would build large leads early like 17+-0 which then makes team go into catch up mode and then go one dimensional.

If the Bills dont build large leads in games there wil not be the large sack numbers if the team isnt throwing every down.

Mario seems like a great athlete but I don't think he's quite elite as a pass rusher. He certainly can't bend the edge like Bruce did.

He seems a bit taller and stiffer than Bruce however maybe a bit more powerful… plus he has that huge wingspan.

I think Gailey or Nix very recently said something to the effect that he'll have a greater effect than the numbers will show and I think that is true.

Mario will get in passing lanes, bat balls down, get a lot of hurries and a good number of sacks. He'll be stout against the run.

But I don't think he'll exceed his own personal best. Hope I'm wrong though.

Fun fact about Bruce Smith. He has never led the NFL in sacks for the season. Hell, he never even led the AFC for that matter.

Back to your question. No, Mario will not break Bruce's Buffalo Bills record of 19 sacks. Sure, he's playing on the left side and he's playing with better talent on the DL, but MW is no Bruce Smith.

BS had the advantage of playing on a faster surface than MW and the Bills usually had big leads forcing the opponent to be one dimensional.

He should come close though.

I think the faster more efficient offense for Bruce's bills is the biggest difference. I think people will be very impressed by just how athletic Mario really is though, having seen him play in person a few times. I think any season ticket holder will say they know what I'm talking about where any given year you see a handful of guys that just "stand out" as freak players. The last few years have included Julius peppers, jimmy graham, JPP, and Mario (cam really stood out too) that are just absolute monsters for me. Even next to elite athletes they are impressive in how much bigger/faster/stronger/whatever else they are than the ones you think are really good anyway.

He will be productive but I don't know about 19.

Edited by NoSaint

Fun fact about Bruce Smith. He has never led the NFL in sacks for the season. Hell, he never even led the AFC for that matter.

Back to your question. No, Mario will not break Bruce's Buffalo Bills record of 19 sacks. Sure, he's playing on the left side and he's playing with better talent on the DL, but MW is no Bruce Smith.

BS had the advantage of playing on a faster surface than MW and the Bills usually had big leads forcing the opponent to be one dimensional.

He should come close though.

I know Bruce never held the NFL single season sack record. I couldn't put "...Buffalo Bills single season sack record", it was too lengthy to show up on the thread.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I don't see 19 for Mario. I think if healthy and the others on the line stay healthy, he could have around the 15 mark. His PR of 14 is achievable, I just don't think 19 is realistic.

19 is just so many that it takes some luck. I'd say 15 is very possible. 19 is possible but perhaps unlikely, even if you have Bruce replay that same season at his peak against the same players.... There's a reason it's so rare even with the all time greats.

Edited by NoSaint

12 sacks a piece for all four works.....dareus and Kw gonna be too good might get in before Mario.

Hopefully preseason is a lot of nonsense and week 1 Buffalo starts breaking some sack records.

Maybe even slide in 7 for Mr Moats while we're at it !

i agree there will be more balanced sack numbers by the front 4. Getting sacks is a team effort so if they feel they need to double or triple team Willaims then that frees up the other guys who are rushing.

Like I said in my previous posts---the number will be higher only if the offense builds multiple scores leads which turns the 4th quarter into pass only so the pass rushers can just ignore running plays and rush the passer.

I dot see it happening because he isnt the only one who will get to the QB.

One advantage that Bruce Smoth had was playing with the K-gun offense. They would build large leads early like 17+-0 which then makes team go into catch up mode and then go one dimensional.

If the Bills dont build large leads in games there wil not be the large sack numbers if the team isnt throwing every down.

Totally agree.. . This unit will still struggle to stop the run and that chews up clock limiting pass rush oppotunitues.

I would be happy if he has 10-12 and the rest of the entire line including second string gets around 25. Throw in a few DB and LB sacks and that puts them around 40- 45 for the year. If the offense gets on top of some of these teams with bad lines or weak QB's maybe the numbers start to climb fast. I'd be happy dropping a six pack on the Jets week one even if Mario doesn't get "credit" for a sack but he is commanding double and triple teams.

In 2007, Mario Williams posted his best career stats with the Houston Texans when he had 59 Tackles (43 solo, 16 assisted) 14 sacks, 1 Pass Defended (PD), 1 Forced Fumble (FF). Considering Williams was the only true pass rusher on that Texan team, with no good Defensive Tackles (DT’s) on the defensive line beside him, those stats are very impressive.

Mario Williams this season will be playing along with Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Mark Anderson/Chris Kelsay, plus the fact that he will be playing against weaker Offensive Tackles in the league with playing the LDE position, it is very possible that Williams could break his career best of 14 sacks. But, can Mario tie or break the Bills single season sack record of 19 (which is held by Hall of Fame DE Bruce Smith) sometime during the course of his career in Buffalo?

Can't believe Bruce didn't have a higher sack season, GO Mario!!!

Although I think the D-Line can increase the number of sacks from last year considerably, and be one of the best sacking units in the NFL, I would be surprised if Mario gets double digits. I think the ones who will benefit from Williams, Anderson and Kelsay's pressure from the outside and them getting double teamed, will be Kyle Williams and Dareus.