WGR 550AM-Lack of Bills talk and the epic discussion about olives

I was listening to them on my way home from work yesterday and it was Schopp & the Bulldog.

Wow was it awful. They spent at least 20 minutes talking about olives! why they are so cheap in stores and what olives they like on their pizza better. Green or Black?!

I mean I know its still pre season so there may not be as much Bills topics to discuss but come on!

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schopp was intelligent and reasonable years back on a different station. Now he is miserable

BullDog is a freaking idiot. Can't even put together a single coherent thought. How he is on the radio.........

Edited by MarkyMannn

Schopp was intelligent and reasonable years back on a different station. Now he is miserable

BullDog is a freaking idiot. Can't even put together a single coherent thought. How he is on the radio.........

Probably because he is a radio talk show host for a football team that he hates.

I just don't understand how Buffalo does not have ANY sports radio personalities, knowledgable, or even remotely interested in the teams.(other than Simon)

I mean since the Empire sports network went off ,with the Regis debockle, there is nothing to listen to. Back then there seemed to be plenty. I don't get it.

I just don't understand how Buffalo does not have ANY sports radio personalities, knowledgable, or even remotely interested in the teams.(other than Simon)

I mean since the Empire sports network went off ,with the Regis debockle, there is nothing to listen to. Back then there seemed to be plenty. I don't get it.

I miss Empire,,,with Larry , Artie boo-boo and the gang.

Having known Bulldog in high school I can tell you he was a really good guy. And even though I haven't seen him in over a decade I'm sure he's still the same guy who would literally give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

I think where many have a problem with WGR is thinking that they do purely sports talk. I recall Jeremy White saying they're not just about sports and that a purely sports talk program is no longer a good business model as that is not the direction the medium is going. Another on air personality (I don't think it was White) said they're trying for a show of what guys talk about if they were in a setting like a bar or some such place. So sports will be discussed most of the time but not all the time.

I enjoy Bulldog. He reminds me of the every day guy. But I can't stand Schopp. He is an arrogant SOB who will cut you off and hang up on you if he doesn't agree with your opinion.

This---^

I really do like Bulldog on his own (I love the days when Schoop bangs in) but unfortunately when Schoop is on with him, he really does turn into "The Lapdog" agreeing with everything his master says and not having an opinion of his own.

The reasons you stated about hating Schoop I agree with 100%. I have been cut off after about 5 seconds because he didn't like the start of the conversation. Which really gets him pissed if you ask how he's doing. WTF!!!??? You can't ask how someones doing anymore? Anyway, not only will he cut you off, he will challenge listeners to change his opinion on topics but not only will he not give them a chance, he will not change his mind no matter what. His ego is outrageous. He knows absolutely nothing about the majority of things not under the topics of Tennis and Card Collecting (which 99% of WGRs listeners could care less about). He's a bitter SOB at the sports world that couldn't cut it at ESPN and a bitter SOB at life in general because he was screwed on his earlier chances at fatherhood.

At the end of the day, you have to cater to your audience and WGR doesn't do that. Shame on them.

me, i'm not a fan of olives. one of the few foods i don't like. my wife, on the other hand, loves them. so it doesn't really matter to me what the price of olives are, given that i'd never buy them for myself.

and my wife does most of the shopping, so i guess that would've been a better subject for her to listen in on.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

me, i'm not a fan of olives. one of the few foods i don't like. my wife, on the other hand, loves them. so it doesn't really matter to me what the price of olives are, given that i'd never buy them for myself.

and my wife does most of the shopping, so i guess that would've been a better subject for her to listen in on.

jw

hmmm green olives with mushrooms and bacon bits , extra cheese on pizza a good thing....

I know people hate Colin Cowherd, but I heard him describe the Bills today in 3 words: MOST IMPROVED TEAM. It would be nice to hear an opinionated national perspective on our team not named Jim Rome. Can't they move that sylvester show to the evenings? And have it during hockey season? I have zero interest in hockey right now. I'd be curious to see if his ratings resemble my feelings.

Schopp used to be amazing when he was on 107.7 sports talk for smart people and he used to slam WGR when the Coach was there. The competition did that station well. Then when 107.7 went under or whatever and Schopp went to GR, he swore that he wouldn't change, but he changed the day he got there and has never been the same. The Steve Tasker "sure" soundbyte was unbelievable. The situation is kind of like when the WWF used to be awesome because they had to compete against Nitro every week, but once Vince bought WCW, the WWF product went down the proverbial tubes. Competition does people well.

to each their own. me, i can do without. and ever since moving to Buffalo, a good old pepperoni and cheese does the trick. ... and puh-leeze, don't get me started with the whole pineapple sacrilege. ... ;)

jw

Pineapple's good for an occasional change. But mostly, just give me double cheese and sausage. And a defibrillator.

to each their own. me, i can do without. and ever since moving to Buffalo, a good old pepperoni and cheese does the trick. ... and puh-leeze, don't get me started with the whole pineapple sacrilege. ... ;)

jw

Hey jw.

When you interview Rus Brandon, ask him why he lied about the Rogers Centre scheduling conflict.

Sincerely,

JW