If you could only keep Byrd or Levitre who would pick and why?

NoName

I thought he imposed tremendously as a tackler last year. Made a few great open field tacked that saved a TD or two IIRC.

Jerome Simpson made 1 spectacular play, hurdling the little guy, and now everyone is questioning Byrd's tackling. Such is life in the preseason, where everyone forgets everything they really know and starts overreacting to single plays that dont mean anything.

I agree that Byrd is one of our best tacklers.

Great posts and great points. To the few who refuse to play the game. Of course we want to keep both players provided it doesn't put our Bills in a bad position. We also know that the Bills have the cap space to keep both. But just because they have the cap space doesn't mean that they will sign both. It's been a while since the bills have had this level of talent on their roster. And when teams get to this point with talent on their roster, they start letting good players go.

The whole point of the thread is this. IF you could only sign one next year. Which one would it be and why. So far it seems Levitre is getting more support.

Personally I am not sure that Byrd is the best safety on our roster MUCH LESS a potential top safety in this league. At this point in time, with all due respect to Eric Wood, I regard Levitre as our best lineman. Wood might have the slight edge in talent but durability and versatility matters. I don't think Levitre will ever make a pro bowl but I still regard him as a very good guard in this league (Top 7).

To those that are saying Byrd is suspect at tackling. You blow my mind. Byrd is probably the best tackling DB since Antoine Winfield.

As to the point of the post, they are equally good but I don't see the depth at S as many see. Search IMO is good but that's all we have at this point. Also, isn't Searcy a SS not a FS? If that is the case, I'd much rather have Levitre than Wilson.

1. Sign them both

2. Byrd is a very good tackler

3. Byrd's ball skills are overrated - many of his INT's have been horrible overthrows - but he seems to catch most of what comes his way. My definition of ball skills is diagnosing a route early, taking the correct angle to the play, and knowing when to jump a route. I've seen some of that with little to no pass rush. Looking forward to seeing what he does with a pass rush.

4. Searcy is SS

5. Levitre though just a guard is terribly more important to this team than a FS even in a passing league. He has a rookie to his left and a guy with a bum knee to his right.

6. They have the room and money to sign them both before the season opener. Sign them now and get a little bit of an early bird discount. If can only get one to sign then franchise the other.

The great thing about this is there is a whole season upon which to base this decision....

hopefully it doesn't come to that. I think the fear here is that both players are so good, that if we wait until the end of the year they will want such a high salary that we can't sign both and male any other signings or FA pickups. Most here agree that our WRs are suspect at best behind Stevie at this point and the LBs are the same. IF things don't go well this year for those positions then well have to sign someone at those spots to complete the O and D. If we sign Byrd and Levitre before they become league leaders then we should have enough for all of them. I see it as the same scenario as we had with the Sabres and Briere, Drury, Campbell, and Vanek. If we just would have been pro-active about the signings, we could have kept them all.

1. Sign them both

2. Byrd is a very good tackler

3. Byrd's ball skills are overrated - many of his INT's have been horrible overthrows - but he seems to catch most of what comes his way. My definition of ball skills is diagnosing a route early, taking the correct angle to the play, and knowing when to jump a route. I've seen some of that with little to no pass rush. Looking forward to seeing what he does with a pass rush.

4. Searcy is SS

5. Levitre though just a guard is terribly more important to this team than a FS even in a passing league. He has a rookie to his left and a guy with a bum knee to his right.

6. They have the room and money to sign them both before the season opener. Sign them now and get a little bit of an early bird discount. If can only get one to sign then franchise the other.

Great post. Agree 100%

Let's say you are Buddy Nix and you only have the option to keep Byrd or Levitre. Which one would you keep and why?

I regard Levitre as a slightly higher rated guard than I would rate Byrd as a safety. I regard Levitre as being able to play all offensive line spots whereas Byrd only FS not SS. I think that if we lost Byrd, lining Wilson at FS and Searcy at SS would be more effective than plugging in Rienhart at LG if we lost Levitre.

So needless to say, my vote would be for Levitre. What about you?

Byrd, he could be a potential star with a decent pass rush.

Levitre is above average, but nothing special, and a tad undersized at guard. I like Levitre, but some of you guys are talking about him as if he were a probowler. I see a solid producer, not a "top 10 guy". If it was wood we were talking about, that would be a different story. Tackles and centers are the guys that are hard to find on the O-line, Guards can be replace without much fanfare. Bottom line, Safety is a more skilled position, and it would be harder to find an equal replacement for Byrd.

As others have said though, there is no reason we can't resign both. I also doubt we would use the franchise tag on either of them (unless Byrd has 9 interceptions again).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

There is no need to choose. The Bills have plenty of cash for both.

PTR

+1

I'm really sure that we can keep them both. Merriman is gone, which should give us some room, and does anyone think we're going to be keeping McGee, Dwan Edwards, Torrel Troup AND Spencer Johnson too much longer?

LG and SS aren't generally exactly cap shattering salaries.

Knowing how much he values both OL and DB play, I have to wait for Bill from NYC's opinion on this.

GO BILLS!!!

We haven't heard from him yet because he's still thinking this over. He needs more time to figure out whether he'd keep the offensive lineman or the defensive back.