Russell Wilson to start Friday

Looks like Russell Wilson is going to win the starting QB job in Seattle , I believe we did make a huge mistake not grapping him in the 3rd round. I think he will be in the Doug Fluite mold (winner) with a stronger arm and 2 inchs taller.

I do like Fritz but did we see his ceiling last year in the spread 3 and 5 step drop short crossing routes?

Let's hope not.

Go Bills and go Fitz deep to TJ!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Russell Wilson is going to win the starting QB job in Seattle , I believe we did make a huge mistake not grapping him in the 3rd round. I think he will be in the Doug Fluite mold (winner) with a stronger arm and 2 inchs taller.

I do like Fritz but did we see his ceiling last year in the spread 3 and 5 step drop short crossing routes?

Let's hope not.

Go Bills and go Fitz deep to TJ!

Oh no! You di'int.

I completely agree. Or Cousins.

TJ Graham is going to amount to a ridiculous 3rd round selection. His chances of succeeding at this level are remote other than as a 4th/5th role playing WR with very limited utility.

Of course there are those here that already know he's going to be a hall of famer. lol

I wouldn't have taken a QB in rounds 1 or 2, but you're right, in 3, rather than Graham, they should have gone with Wilson or Cousins.

Edited by TaskersGhost

TJ Graham is going to amount to a ridiculous 3rd round selection. His chances of succeeding at this level are remote other than as a 4th/5th role playing WR with very limited utility.

Of course there are those here that already know he's going to be a hall of famer. lol

I wouldn't have taken a QB in rounds 1 or 2, but you're right, in 3, rather than Graham, they should have gone with Wilson or Cousins.

And then are those like you who seem to already know Graham is going to be a colossal bust. It's fine to say you'd rather have taken Wilson or Couzins but to pretend to know how Graham is going to turn out is asinine.

Edited by biglukes

Kinda like how you already put Wilson there and know that TJ will be a bust? How about we let them play some games first.

You seem to have an awful lot of very strong opinions!

TJ Graham's biggest asset is his ability to stretch defenses. Something that the Bills have lacked since the time when Lee Evans could actually run. Saftety's that cheat this year will sufferabe "humilitations galore". With Graham's deep speed and the Bills running game it's going to change the offense.

Add it to the long running debate of drafting for need vs best available on the draft board. We will decide collectively after the fact which of the three will have a more fruitful career, but Bills went into the draft with the intention of picking up a WR in the first 3 rounds, and they got one. On paper, Graham did not warrant the high 3rd round selection. But he was the best WR prospect available and Bills jumped. We don't know how the Bills had him graded out compared to the rest of the WR field.

I too would have preferred taking a flyer on one of the QBs, especially with Thigpen as the only backup as of April.

And then are those like you who seem to already know Graham is going to be a colossal bust. It's fine to say you'd rather have taken Wilson or Couzins but to pretend to know how Graham is going to turn out is asinine.

Kinda like how you already put Wilson there and know that TJ will be a bust? How about we let them play some games first.

You seem to have an awful lot of very strong opinions!

TJ Graham's biggest asset is his ability to stretch defenses. Something that the Bills have lacked since the time when Lee Evans could actually run. Saftety's that cheat this year will sufferabe "humilitations galore". With Graham's deep speed and the Bills running game it's going to change the offense.

I'll answer all three of you simultaneously.

"TJ Graham's biggest asset is his ability to stretch defenses."

What a yawner. If you knew how ridiculously cliched and overused that statement is you'd be ashamed to use it.

"Kinda like how you already put Wilson there and know that TJ will be a bust? How about we let them play some games first."

We don't know how good Wilson will be, but right now both he and Cousins, both available in the mid-3rd, and I was actually thinking Cousins even more, who was a rated 2nd/3rd unlike Graham who no one had going until the late round if at all, are both playing well, much better than Graham in a position that is far more difficult to learn in the NFL. We more than likely easily could have had Graham in the 4th, maybe even 5th or 6th.

Otherwise no, we don't need to play any games to see how good Graham's going to be any more than we needed to see any to have realized that Hardy was a bust. Players like Graham are one-dimensional. All they bring is speed, and if you're not new to football, then you realize how little speed in and of itself translates to the NFL. (Clue: See CJ Spiller, the "blindingly fast RB" from GT)

Otherwise, if Graham's so lightning fast, then what happened in college where he averaged a paltry 14.6 yards per catch over four years and had a total of 1,430 yards receiving total in four seasons?

Are we supposed to believe that his speed did little for him in college, otherwise why the pathetically pedestrian average, but now at the pro level he's going to shake all that and beat players that he didn't beat in college?

Have you looked at his game logs and asked yourself why he flunked in spades against the best (meaning really just above average) defenses in his own conference? Just asking because it doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, so what we're supposed to believe now is that he couldn't get that done in college, against guys that didn't even get drafted, but that he's mysteriously going to get it done against the best that are in the NFL now? Because what I'm seeing is that of the 29 CBs drafted this year, he didn't have a good game against any one of those teams. Not that they would have assigned their best CB to him if he had.

So while you say that I have "strong opinions," if you mean strongly researched, yes, I fully agree.

I would argue that your opinions are all equally strong, yet without any evidence, since there is almost none given that players like him come and go like the leaves on the trees every season.

Graham won't even be on this team in three seasons. It was a wasted 3rd round pick. He brings nothing but speed and he's a project in that way otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if he's released before next season.

Otherwise, we needed a QB, ... unless you're one of those people that actually believes Gailey, Mr. 10-22. LOL If Gailey were coaching the Browns you would all be laughing at him and his statements.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Drafting a QB in the 3rd round is usually a waste. In the 3rd, you can get a legit position player starter at almost any position. But by the 3rd, the odds of getting a starting QB go way down, unless you magically win the lottery (e.g., Brady).

The odds of guys like Mallett, Cousins, and Wilson becoming star QB's ever is pretty slim, IMO. The odds of TJ Graham being a starting slot receiver for this team within the next 2 years are pretty good.

Why all this panic about QB?

Man the season hasn't even started, and all I see are topics about this QB and that QB.

I don't get it, we are going with whos here. Worry about QB's later

Worry is the the wrong vibe , Its going in to the middle rounds with blinders on and not seeing what's next to you and it could be a pot of gold . I hope I'm wrong.

Drafting a QB in the 3rd round is usually a waste. In the 3rd, you can get a legit position player starter at almost any position. But by the 3rd, the odds of getting a starting QB go way down, unless you magically win the lottery (e.g., Brady).

The odds of guys like Mallett, Cousins, and Wilson becoming star QB's ever is pretty slim, IMO. The odds of TJ Graham being a starting slot receiver for this team within the next 2 years are pretty good.

Unless Wilson falls flat on his face he will be Seattles starter.

Worry is the the wrong vibe , Its going in to the middle rounds with blinders on and not seeing what's next to you and it could be a pot of gold . I hope I'm wrong.

Unless Wilson falls flat on his face he will be Seattles starter.

I'm not saying late-round QB's never make it; only that it's rare.

Examples:

2008: 9 QB's drafted after round 2-- potentially 1 will start (Matt Flynn in Seattle)

2009: 8 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

2010: 12 QB's drafted after round 2--potentially 1 will start (John Skelton in Arizona)

2011: 6 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

In sum, over the last 4 years, you've seen 35 QB's drafted in the 3rd round or lower. From that group, you have, at most, two marginal starting QB's--both of whom are in neck-and-neck QB competitions.

LOL! If anything, Wilson's chances of succeeding at this level are remote. I can name you all of the sub-6' QB's who have had sustained success in the NFL the past 20 years:

LOL! If anything, Wilson's chances of succeeding at this level are remote. I can name you all of the sub-6' QB's who have had sustained success in the NFL the past 20 years:

and those that succeeded without the skill set to still go in the first 40 picks would be even shorter.

if teams believed he was the answer, hed be gone early. a guy in that range is viewed by GMs as a flyer, and if you get a solid backup or trade bait - cool. if you get a starter, its like hitting the lottery.

hes a fun player, ill be rooting for him. if forced to pick a non-day-one qb pick to succeed, id probably say him.... but its still an uphill battle. as others have mentioned, VERY FEW guys taken outside of the first two rounds ever really make an impact, and if they do it usually says more about the team than it does their skills.

Edited by NoSaint

and those without the skill set to still go in the first 40 picks would be even shorter.

if teams believed he was the answer, hed be gone early. a guy in that range is viewed by GMs as a flyer, and if you get a solid backup or trade bait - cool. if you get a starter, its like hitting the lottery.

Exactly. Now he could be the lone exception, and I'm willing to take a wait-and-see attitude since he's a rookie. But my point was that a guy like Graham has a far greater chance of success, based on history.