Bills Release Merriman!

That is just not true. He had his best season after he was caught. And he had another full year with 10+ sacks after that. And he only failed one test.

PED's usually stay in the body for a while even after stopping. Theoretically he could have still been getting benefits from the PED's he was caught using the season after he was forced to stop using them. Then once it clears his body and he's no longer putting new PED's into it--that's when the bad effects kick in like injuries and lack of burst and power that his body was capable of while on them.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So no team would have given us a 6th or a 5th rounder for Merriman? Why just release and not try to trade? Either he's worthless and not tradeable, or we're just plain dumb...

Come on. Every team in the league understands who Merriman's been the past 3 seasons. No team would trade a pick for him in their right mind. Not many teams gave him attention when WE did 2 seasons ago. He'd be lucky to get the same interest he did 2 years ago. He might now because he actually had the surgery. Plus this gives him the chance to sign on with anybody he chooses.

Edited by DukeyBomb

According to Glazer, "Bills feel he's much better suited for a team that uses a 3-4 than a 4-3. Just texted w Merriman who confirmed they have released him."

I can totally understand that reasoning for cutting him.

Gives him a good amount of time to sign with a team who could use him.

...please tell me the Patroits don't play a 3-4 right now.

This is a headscratcher. They bring the guy in after he's injured. He immediatley gets injured. They keep him around and switch to the 4-3. He gets injured again and they still keep him. He's finally healthy and they cut him....so they can develop Moore??

The whole saga is diagnostic of something. Not sure what yet.

Poor management.

He signed a two year deal for 10.5 million. His base salary for this year is 4 million and 3 million of that is guaranteed. Plus they already gave him a million or 1.5 at the beginning of this year. They save a total of 1 million for releasing him. Ultimately a terrible waste of money, but it was a risk they knew they were taking. I don't blame Nix too much for it.

EDIT: Btw, I got those figures off of Rotoworld right before I posted this, which is usually a very detailed, accurate source for contracts. Already they have taken down the contract details for him and just said he is a 2012 Free Agent.

Thanx. This information means that he wasn't released to save money. As surprising as this news is, as some have pointed out, either he wasnt progressing as well as the staff expected him to after healing. Or the performance of some youngsters was better than expected and a trajectory that would.cross Merriman's soon. Or there is something else going on that w dont know about such as health or substance issues. We may know soon enough.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

The only thing I don't understand is why they wouldn't keep him as a backup de to rotate in. Can he seriously not play de better than Kyle Moore?

Well the upside in this whole thing is nix clearly doesn't give a dam what the outside world thinks of his player decisions or admitting mistakes and moving on.

So no team would have given us a 6th or a 5th rounder for Merriman? Why just release and not try to trade? Either he's worthless and not tradeable, or we're just plain dumb...

with a decent dollar contract, and no health promises, no one is trading for him.

He signed a two year deal for 10.5 million. His base salary for this year is 4 million and 3 million of that is guaranteed. Plus they already gave him a million or 1.5 at the beginning of this year. They save a total of 1 million for releasing him. Ultimately a terrible waste of money, but it was a risk they knew they were taking. I don't blame Nix too much for it.

EDIT: Btw, I got those figures off of Rotoworld right before I posted this, which is usually a very detailed, accurate source for contracts. Already they have taken down the contract details for him and just said he is a 2012 Free Agent.

Incorrect. Per Joe B on WGR we would save 4 million this year.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why we just wouldn't release Kelsay instead. Yeah yeah yeah, maybe the injuries have a lot to do with it. I don't care. I would still feel better if Kelsay was gone instead of Merriman.

because the people that see him daily and know what they will be asking guys to do probably have a better read on it than you.

PED's usually stay in the body for a while even after stopping. Theoretically he could have still been getting benefits from the PED's he was caught using the season after he was forced to stop using them. Then once it clears his body and he's no longer putting new PED's into it--that's when the bad effects kick in like injuries and lack of burst and power that his body was capable of while on them.

He was caught before his second season. He has taken well over 19 drug tests and failed one of them. He decided to appeal his suspension so he played the first part of the season after he was caught and stopped. Later in the season he dropped the appeal and was out for four games. Then played the rest of the season. He had 17 sacks in 12 games (after he had stopped). He then played the next season and got 12.5 sacks. That's the second year after he stopped.

They stay in your system working for two years?

its very possible that they are related but he did take a good hit to get injured against tennessee(?) for the original start of the slide. and as kelly pointed out, he was very productive after the single positive test.

Edited by NoSaint

Can't help but to question if there is more to the story than they are letting out. Did he get hurt again?

I still feel that he would have been better as a pass rushing DE than a OLB in a 4/3.

I hope he doesn't end up in our division. He was a big contributor to our win over NE* last year.

One thing we don't have is access to trainers and medical reports. He sat out a practice recently, I too wonder if he's hurt enough to slow him down the last couple of weeks. It could be same old thing. Last year I remember Merriman saying he was healed and feeling great during the preseason.

He was caught before his second season. He has taken well over 19 drug tests and failed one of them. He decided to appeal his suspension so he played the first part of the season after he was caught and stopped. Later in the season he dropped the appeal and was out for four games. Then played the rest of the season. He had 17 sacks in 12 games (after he had stopped). He then played the next season and got 12.5 sacks. That's the second year after he stopped.

They stay in your system working for two years?

to the last point - I really have little to no working knowledge of steroids, but the gains in muscle mass i would assume dont just disappear. i have no idea how long it would take to "deflate" if you will. though they may have been out of his system entirely, would the positive effects still last on? i really dont know.

Incorrect. Per Joe B on WGR we would save 4 million this year.

The issue is whether what part if any of the 4 million was guaranteed. Joe B was probably stating that's what his salary was. The Rotoworld site I went to this morning, which is very detailed and accurate on contracts, said 3 mil of the 4 million was guaranteed. It's possible they were wrong, but I have been looking at contracts on that place for several years and I never really saw anything they said that turned out not to be true. It probably happened, salaries are tough to get the real story on sometimes, but it's a VERY good source for contracts. And I think they're probably more accurate than Joe B on this one.