Robert Meachem Update...

Booger

Only because the Bills thought they had the inside track and had shown so much interest in signing him. Obviously its preseason and such, but he did sign a rather large contract, a contract where it is expected he become the #1 (which very well may happen with the injury to their other WR last night)....this was posted on Rotoworld:

Robert Meachem has been targeted three times through two Chargers preseason games, and two have been intercepted.

The third target was complete for seven yards. Camp reports out of San Diego have stated that Meachem and Philip Rivers' chemistry remains a work in progress, and it's shown up so far in preseason games. It's still hard to draw any regular season conclusions from these stats. Meachem will be San Diego's Z receiver this year, with Malcom Floyd at X and Eddie Royal in the slot.

To top it off, the Chargers lost Vincent Brown last night...from what I hear, Meachem has not looked good in camp sessions either... a good friend of mine is a huge Saints fanatic. He warned me, when the Bills were in pursuit of Meachem, "you don't want that guy on your team". He always said that Meachem would make a spectacular grab every now and again, but drop pretty much everything else...

To top it off, the Chargers lost Vincent Brown last night...from what I hear, Meachem has not looked good in camp sessions either... a good friend of mine is a huge Saints fanatic. He warned me, when the Bills were in pursuit of Meachem, "you don't want that guy on your team". He always said that Meachem would make a spectacular grab every now and again, but drop pretty much everything else...

Your fanatic friend isn't very accurate. Meach has good hands. His issue that really got him in trouble was not learning the playbook. His hands, though not out of this world, are plenty acceptable.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcsouth&id=30312&tag=catch-percentage

Edited by NoSaint

The bills had a price point for him as a second receiver. They held firm to what they believed his value. San Diego did the same.

Exactly. Once you overpay, you don't get good value anymore… you don't get what you paid for. Thus Tyson Clabo and Robert Meachem.

Your fanatic friend isn't very accurate. Meach has good hands. His issue that really got him in trouble was not learning the playbook. His hands, though not out of this world, are plenty acceptable.

http://m.espn.go.com...atch-percentage

Meachem is an excellent athlete but an underachiever in my book. Now maybe there was so much talent on that roster that he never got a good chance… or maybe it's something else.

Exactly. Once you overpay, you don't get good value anymore… you don't get what you paid for. Thus Tyson Clabo and Robert Meachem.

Meachem is an excellent athlete but an underachiever in my book. Now maybe there was so much talent on that roster that he never got a good chance… or maybe it's something else.

I think he could have put up better numbers had he been "the guy" but with all the talent, they didn't have to push him into that role. I never got the feel that he was super trusted. Like I said, the rumor on the street was it took him 2 years to fully grasp the playbook. By that point I think he was going to be hardpressed to demand a large role.

I haven't seen the SD action but 2 picks going his way does on the surface make me want to ask if the transition will continue to be rough. If he isn't a student of the game, it might take time again, even of he's got all the talent in the world.

http://m.espn.go.com...atch-percentage

Your probably right...but fanatics have a tendency to remember the bad, more than the good. I don't watch the Saints all the time, he does...he always hated Meacham. I always had the same thing on Don Beebe, back in the day...his drops always stood out a lot more to me than his catches, because they were usually the passes that looked easiest to catch.

The other guy that was available that many liked was Laurent Robinson who signed with Jax.

I liked him quite a bit as well. I guess the question to ask is who would we have preferred.. Mark Anderson or a potential Garcon/Robinson signing because I doubt we would have considered signing both. I still think the Anderson signing was pretty solid though

Like I've been saying. Every one of those Saints WR's are way overrated and they've been a product of Brees. I think Meachem, Henderson, Moore and Colston are such an overrated bunch its not even funny.

Agree. Colston deserves a little respect though. Big target sneaks in some Td's. I'm happy Meachum ain't a bill I saw him drop a few in new Orleans

Agree. Colston deserves a little respect though. Big target sneaks in some Td's. I'm happy Meachum ain't a bill I saw him drop a few in new Orleans

Colston deserves more than a little. By sneaking some tds, you mean 50 in 6 years, and he averages over 1000 yards a season for his career. There's a reason the saints paid him and not the younger, likely healthier, meachem.

Meachem and Henderson are nothing to write home about. Both good, not great players. I think Moore and colston are fantastic players though. Moore is slippery as anything and always seems to get open when needed. Small and doesn't have game breaking speed so hell never be elite, but......, great instinct for the game, and durability. 30+ tds as a guy splitting time (and missing half of one season) in the last 5 years. As the number 3/4 receiver I'm not sure what else you could ask for.

Edited by NoSaint

Colston deserves more than a little. By sneaking some tds, you mean 50 in 6 years, and he averages over 1000 yards a season for his career. There's a reason the saints paid him and not the younger, likely healthier, meachem.

You can't talk facts here, NoSaint. Guys like to say what they feel.

Like I've been saying. Every one of those Saints WR's are way overrated and they've been a product of Brees. I think Meachem, Henderson, Moore and Colston are such an overrated bunch its not even funny.

Well, as long as they're playing for New Orleans and as long as their QB is named Brees, they can be on my fantasy team anytime.

Meh. Still not a fan of Colston, but I gotta say that Graham is freakin legit. And Sproles. Outside of Brees, by far their best offensive weapons.

What I found entertaining watching that Chargers game was their announcers talking about how Roscoe getting out of cold old Buffalo and into perfect weather San Diego was going to do wonders for his game and health. Nevermind that Roscoe was usually hurt well before the cold weather rolled around.

I know it's off topic, but biglukes' post made me look up Roscoe's stats.

2009: 3 receptions for 34 yards... and 5 fumbles. That has to be a mistake, right?

http://www.nfl.com/player/roscoeparrish/2506394/profile

Looking further, the Cleveland game seems to be contributing: 0 receptions for 16 yards (?) with 2 fumbles. :D

I really did like Roscoe, but wow....

I wasn't overly thrilled that the WR the Bills targeted in FA was Meachem. I could have lived with the signing because he fulfills the speed need and they had the cap room to take-on his contract. But looking back, I'm glad the Chargers swooped-in because Graham has a ton of potential and Mark Anderson probably wouldn't have been signed.

I know it's off topic, but biglukes' post made me look up Roscoe's stats.

2009: 3 receptions for 34 yards... and 5 fumbles. That has to be a mistake, right?

http://www.nfl.com/p...2506394/profile

Looking further, the Cleveland game seems to be contributing: 0 receptions for 16 yards (?) with 2 fumbles. :D

I really did like Roscoe, but wow....

He may have a run for 16 yards, and the 2 fumbles coming off of punt returns i beleive. My memory isn't so good though. I think that was when he got benched from returning anything under Dickless J

He may have a run for 16 yards, and the 2 fumbles coming off of punt returns i beleive. My memory isn't so good though. I think that was when he got benched from returning anything under Dickless J

Yeah, I made sense of it (except the 0 catches for 16 receiving yards). I just never really lost faith that he was a playmaker during that period, which in retrospect is a bit of a headscratcher.