What the film review shows from last night...not your delusional analy

I'm getting really tired of reading all these posts breaking down the Bills play last night with absolute no relation to reality. There were a number of things that can be improved on but the situation is no where near as dire as a lot of the amateur Madden's haere make it sound. A lot of folks are whining about how awful the Bills were last night but they're either not looking at the entirety of the play or they're just flat out making stuff up. Sure there were things that could have gone better but it was FAR from the disaster that some are making it out to be. One of the nicest things about the NFL Preseason package is that you can replay specific plays and actually WATCH what happened or where the breakdown occurred. You armchair analysts are either running with an agenda, really uninformed or really lazy. If you're going to say they sucked, back up your positions with some actual relevant proof.

Let's point out some things that are OBVIOUS if you actually look at the plays:

1. Harvin's first HUGE gain was the result of a missed tackle by Barnett on what was essentially a 1 yard pass. Followed by an absolutely awful unnecessary roughness call.

2. Simpson's huge gain (33yds) was the result of Anderson being 1/2 second slow getting his arms up. Made worse by Gillmore giving him the inside and an absolutely hideous, if not embarassing, tackle attempt by Wilson. Shades of Eddie Robinson!

3. Gerhart's 16yd run up the middle was because Sheppard seems more interested in taking on a block than tackling the runner. It was this play that led to him still being in the game in the 3rd quarter.

4. On that very same offensive series we had two sacks. These sacks weren't the result of some amazing blitz package. The first sack happened because Kyle Williams basically shoved the Viking's starting center into Ponder. Straight up bull rush and Williams brought his lunchpail! The second sack I'll also credit Williams with because he straight up ran around his man.

5. On our opening series, two of our run plays were run into an oncoming (and obvious) run blitz. No audible

6. Fitz was spot on with his passes. If someone picks up Harrison Smith on his blitz that drive likely continues.

7. ALL OF PONDERS PASSES WERE EITHER SHORT DUMPS, ROLL-OUTS OR QUICK SLANTS. That's right, ALL OF HIS PASSES, with one exception, of the broken flea flicker that Kelsay sniffed out. Every pass attempt that wasn't a roll out or quick pass was a sack. Those sacks came almost exclusively out of our BASE defense.

8. If you're going to claim that the Viking's played a "vanilla" game plan I'm going to call you an idiot. The Vikings were VERY aware of Buffalo's pass rush capability and Fraser was not going to let his QB get killed.

9. Despite the contention of some that the BIlls were getting waxed, the score t was 10-7 when the starters began rotating out of the game.

10. Cordy Glenn went up against one of the best DT's in the game and didn't get embarassed.

So if you're going to B word about how the Bills looked, I challenge you to put up the specific plays and just break it down so you'll actually have some !@#$ing credibility.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you rail into everyone for saying the Bills looked bad, then go down a list of plays that make the Bills look bad? ;)

Not exactly. I have no use for the rollercoasters who throw out all sorts of doom and gloom nonsense without objectively analyzing what really happened. There's no contribution in the endless streams of "OMG fire Gailey", "OMG our LB's suck", "OMG or secondary is terrible", "OMG Fitz sucks". People are claiming that Ponder was all world last night yet the vast majority of his passes were less than ten yards. Fitz does the same thing and people are call for Vince Young to start. It's nonsense.

My post wasn't meant to blow smoke up your ass and make you feel like the Bills are amazing. The intent was to break down the offensive and defensive plays and point out what went right and what went wrong.

Simon is one of the most knowledgable football guys on this board. He puts up a fact based post on what he saw last night and the Jr. Madden's on here have the audacity to tell him he's wrong.

If you want to B word, step up and support your argument with actual play based evidence and not your meaningless opinion.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Not exactly. I have no use for the rollercoasters who throw out all sorts of doom and gloom nonsense without objectively analyzing what really happened. There's no contribution in the endless streams of "OMG fire Gailey", "OMG our LB's suck", "OMG or secondary is terrible", "OMG Fitz sucks". People are claiming that Ponder was all world last night yet the vast majority of his passes were less than ten yards. Fitz does the same thing and people are call for Vince Young to start. It's nonsense.

My post wasn't meant to blow smoke up your ass and make you feel like the Bills are amazing. The intent was to break down the offensive and defensive plays and point out what went right and what went wrong.

Simon is one of the most knowledgable football guys on this board. He puts up a fact based post on what he saw last night and the Jr. Madden's on here have the audacity to tell him he's wrong.

If you want to B word, step up and support your argument with actual play based evidence and not your meaningless opinion.

Man, evidence?

This would be a real quiet board

I'm getting really tired of reading all these posts breaking down the Bills play last night with absolute no relation to reality. There were a number of things that can be improved on but the situation is no where near as dire as a lot of the amateur Madden's haere make it sound. A lot of folks are whining about how awful the Bills were last night but they're either not looking at the entirety of the play or they're just flat out making stuff up. Sure there were things that could have gone better but it was FAR from the disaster that some are making it out to be. One of the nicest things about the NFL Preseason package is that you can replay specific plays and actually WATCH what happened or where the breakdown occurred. You armchair analysts are either running with an agenda, really uninformed or really lazy. If you're going to say they sucked, back up your positions with some actual relevant proof.

1. Harvin's first HUGE gain was the result of a missed tackle by Barnett on what was essentially a 1 yard pass. Followed by an absolutely awful unnecessary roughness call.

Missed tackles? Yea, not a problem in the regular season, game planning will take care of that.

2. Simpson's huge gain (33yds) was the result of Anderson being 1/2 second slow getting his arms up. Made worse by Gillmore giving him the inside and an absolutely hideous, if not embarassing, tackle attempt by Wilson. Shades of Eddie Robinson!

A step slow. Another bad tackle. Giving up big plays. Well I didn't see that happen last year, not worried.

3. Gerhart's 16yd run up the middle was because Sheppard seems more interested in taking on a block than tackling the runner. It was this play that led to him still being in the game in the 3rd quarter.

Poor football instincts and bad decision-making? Wanny will solve that as soon as he starts trying to coach. He's just not bothering, there's no point working with a young player until the regular season starts. That's the time to work on these types of issues.

4. On that very same offensive series we had two sacks. These sacks weren't the result of some amazing blitz package. The first sack happened because Kyle Williams basically shoved the Viking's starting center into Ponder. Straight up bull rush and Williams brought his lunchpail! The second sack I'll also credit Williams with because he straight up ran around his man.

5. On our opening series, two of our run plays were run into an oncoming (and obvious) run blitz. No audible

No issues on these, the defensive line was good and its possible that the lack of audibles was a game planning issue.

6. Fitz was spot on with his passes. If someone picks up Harrison Smith on his blitz that drive likely continues.

7. ALL OF PONDERS PASSES WERE EITHER SHORT DUMPS, ROLL-OUTS OR QUICK SLANTS. That's right, ALL OF HIS PASSES, with one exception, of the broken flea flicker that Kelsay sniffed out. Every pass attempt that wasn't a roll out or quick pass was a sack. Those sacks came almost exclusively out of our BASE defense.

8. If you're going to claim that the Viking's played a "vanilla" game plan I'm going to call you an idiot. The Vikings were VERY aware of Buffalo's pass rush capability and Fraser was not going to let his QB get killed.

Yea, things that have been ongoing issues for this team. Total lack of an answer for a short passing scheme, terrible coverage from the linebackers, physical errors, etc, etc, etc.

9. Despite the contention of some that the BIlls were getting waxed, the score t was 10-7 when the starters began rotating out of the game.

lol, watching the scoreboard instead of what's actually happening during the run of play during the preseason. NObody is complaining about the score, only what they're actually seeing on the field.

So if you're going to B word about how the Bills looked, I challenge you to put up the specific plays and just break it down so you'll actually have some !@#$ing credibility.

LOL, think you already did that buddy.

i agree with you mike

1 i do think shepp sucks though

2. i do worry how fitz always throws 5 yard slants on third and long. Blitz or not, he needs throw past the D, not struggle to complete 5 yarders right where the db is standing and get 5 yards when we need 15. Stupid.

I appreciate your insight and find the "sky is falling" sentiment on this board at the moment laughable.

Do we have weaknesses? Of course. But this is audition time for the majority of the team. As much as it would please the irrational/impatient segment of the fan base to come out with our week 1 game plan, it just doesn't make sense to do so.

i agree with you mike

1 i do think shepp sucks though

2. i do worry how fitz always throws 5 yard slants on third and long. Blitz or not, he needs throw past the D, not struggle to complete 5 yarders right where the db is standing and get 5 yards when we need 15. Stupid.

I share your concern with Shepp. I think Wanny was pissed last night and left him in late into the 3rd. I'm suspicious that he's a bit slowed by the injury but if he doesn't pick it up and fast I wouldn't hesitate to put Carder in the middle. At least he's not a complete liability in coverage.

The slants do make me as crazy as the WR's running 6 or 7 yard outs when we need 8 yards. :wallbash:

Man, evidence?

This would be a real quiet board

This is the best post I've read on last nights game...

And, thanks for the analysis Mike. While there is a lot to improve on, it certainly wasn't the bloodbath some are making it out to be!

I mostly agree Mike - having just watched the game but there was one longish pass where - I think it was aaron W had McKelvin-like coverage except he did have an eye on the ball - the receiver,,,I think it was harvin clearly pushed off to make the catch,

By the way---has Mario done anything yet? maybe I have missed it or maybe it is just preseason.....

I think what he is saying is that while the Bills didn't look great on D (In particular the LB's and DB's tackling) there was more to meets the eye in that the Vikings were using a gameplan and the Bills weren't. But what's not encouraging is the Bills lack of tackling by Wilson, Barnett, and Shep all three allowed big gains due to lack of execution that's not a good thing.

Mike:

Thanks for the post. I agree there were a lot positives from above mentioned threads regarding Brooks, etc. I'm hoping these scrimmages help develop the timing of Fitzy to his WR as that concerns me, but not as worried on the D. We also have again no scheming, and no running for the most part. Once we set loose Freddy and CJ where appropriate, we'll see more things open for our passing game. TJ really impresses me that he may be what we needed.

10. Cordy Glenn went up against one of the best DT's in the game and didn't get embarassed.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. You blast arm chair qbs providing their amateur assessment of the game, followed by your amateur assessment of the game. You could have added your nfl expert perspective without the lecture.

Btw Wrt:

#1 no dude the root cause of that gain was the fact Barnett was the one that had to try and tackle harvin. Min lined up with the TE in the slot and harvin as a h back. The TE easily swallowed up McK. Well designed play, d hopefully would have audibles in reg season as havin on Barnett is a win for them.

#7 so were Joe Monannas, so you're saying Ponder didn't play well because there were lots of RAC yards? Huh?

#8 it was more cookie dough or moose tracks than vanilla... I love useless terms that become commonplace as if meaningful.

#9 bills went 0-2 and vikes were 2-2 on first drives with all starters in. Not the end of the world but sure, it needs to get better.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Look, this is Preseason. I have been watching enough football over the years to realize that preseason means little. Does it mean the Bills will be good? Of course not. But it doesn't mean they will be bad either. It's preseason. I'm going to make my assesment after week one. I guarantee if the Bills were playing Minnesota during the regular season it would be an entirely different game. These preseason games mean nothing. Do they count in the standings? No. Do they matter? No. Just stay healthy. That's all that matters.