One thing worth noting from tonight's scrimmage

Simon

Moats was our best linebacker, that's scary. That group is a terrible, as bad as the receivers, probably worse.

I loved Navarro Bowman when he came out of PSU, we took Carrington and he's getting cut. Desperately need some talent at LB, we have some young guys but we have no idea what they can do.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish these preseason efforts were a tad bit more entertaining. I really don't give a flying fart if we win the games or not, as long as we're good to go by week 1 of the regular season...but seriously, can they not give us SOMETHING to enjoy watching a replay of? The VY bomb was a thing of beauty, but I'd really prefer to see our starters making a courtesy play here and there in honor of the fans.

There are some enjoyable replays up on www.buffalobills.com right now. Very nice Fitz pass to Donald Jones. Very nice run by Fredex, picking up a block downfield from one of our WR (couldn't see who). On the VY bomb, Corey Mac and the RB (Choice I think) laid down some nice blocks to keep the DE off VY.

There are some enjoyable replays up on www.buffalobills.com right now. Very nice Fitz pass to Donald Jones. Very nice run by Fredex, picking up a block downfield from one of our WR (couldn't see who). On the VY bomb, Corey Mac and the RB (Choice I think) laid down some nice blocks to keep the DE off VY.

True...I'm just anxious for them to open it up a bit I guess. I did love the TD catch and run by D.Jones...very nice.

So you're going to ignore the first 7 weeks of the season when we averaged 30 points per game? Lovely.

I'll address your entire combative post by stating that the first three games the offense averaged almost 38 points per game.

In the next four games the offense averaged only 21 points per game.

Over the last 9 they averaged 14.6 points per game.

See any kind of trend there?

I should be the one asking you, so you're going to ignore the last 13 weeks of the season?

Lovely.

LOL

BTW, let's see if you and your sharp wit can identify what was present last season to start the season that won't be present this season?

Edited by TaskersGhost

Well then, since the offense is basically the same offense that couldn't do much of anything including get out of its own way for most of the season after the first few games, I think we already know what kind of talent we have there and there isn't much reason for it to have changed significantly from last season to this one.

The only positive change on defense, or the only significant change, was Mario, and we know what kind of talent he is. Anderson is fine but hardly an enormous plus-up.

After that, we lost Drayton Florence and replaced him with a rookie. I'm not sure I see that working well this season.

So if all people are looking for is a talent assessment, then we already know what that is. Great DL, one good LB, one good S and then a bunch of players that pose as starters on D.

The worst part about it all, Gailey is still the coach. If you ask me, that's what's going to cause this season to stall.

Instead of breaking the bank for Mario, the organization should have spent some coin on a proven GM and Head Coach.

The LBs were terrible tonight on the 1st unit. The DL generated pass pressure, but the back 7 was horrid.

Not that the receivers were good, they stunk too. But hey, look at their pedigrees. This is just one more exercise in applying turd polish. They should have made a move for a WR in Free Agency, not having done so is going to cost us. Nelson's the most proven one there and he's a 3rd type WR, not a starting caliber WR. He's a slot guy too. It's also not like Johnson requires double coverage or anything.

Every year we look and hope that this is the year, but we really know what's going to happen, the same thing. There are way too many positions featuring no talent on this team to make the playoffs. I think we'll see Young (or Thigpen, Smith, or whomever) starting at some point midway through the season.

We've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that Ftizpatrick is in position to take this offense and step it up to even average, much less more than that. This season is going to be an extension of last season, nothing more. We might win another few games over the 1-8 finish, but it won't be many. Gailey obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

No matter how we look at it, the 1st team O still hasn't score a TD against a 1st-team D yet. It's only been five or six drives, but still, they haven't even come close.

Yep. What he said.

The fundamental, overriding issue with this team winning games is Chan Gailey's utter incompetence. The guy is just an abyssmal OC. We may be in for yet another long season, Gentlemen.

In Buddy I trust. :lol: (Yah, right.)

Yep. What he said.

The fundamental, overriding issue with this team winning games is Chan Gailey's utter incompetence. The guy is just an abyssmal OC. We may be in for yet another long season, Gentlemen.

In Buddy I trust. :lol: (Yah, right.)

Gailey's the only guy who would actually take the job. Shanahan turned it down, Cowher told us to !@#$ off and hire Gailey, Harbaugh also declined, Brian Schottenheimer of all !@#$ing people wouldn't even interview. I guess the only other guy was Frazier and I'm not sure he's any better than Chan.

I'll support Chan, good man, not a good HC, he's a coordinator - a good one. This team has an image problem, as does the city. Top flight coaching talent will go elsewhere, they already have.

Mario Williams had to become the highest paid player to come here, and we basically locked him in a closet until he signed. I can't wait until some of you turn against him as well, because Mario loves to pull disappearing acts, just ask Texans fans.

Edited by bouds

wow the sky is tumbling on everyone here. we didnt show our hand right out of the gate in the first 2 preseason games? man why save your ace for a relevant game when you can pull it out in practice :rolleyes: sometimes i understand why Bills fans get so much crap, its because theres a few in the bunch who are self loathing, pessimistic, pms'ing namby pambys. just because the town of buffalo has taken a post mortem dump, doesnt mean you have to do the same on the team.

blah blah blah your sick of losing, big surprise everyone is sick of losing. thats why our management has kicked out anyone they consider on the backside of there career, or with a bad attitude. it works out long term. id suggest changing your cotton ponys more often to avoid the toxic shock :thumbdown: GO BILLS! this team has been through too much to have to consider trying to appease a bunch of non BILLieving fans whos glasses aren't filled to the brim. BOOHHHHHH YOU WEAK FANS! GET OUT OF THE WAY CUZ IM LEADING THE CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flirt:

All I care about is that we make it through pre season healthy.

All this talk that the Bills haven't won recently so they need to go out and show people. Thats a load of bull. Thats what you as a fan wants to see. It's the preaseason, they don't need to prove a freaking thing. They need to go out, work on problem areas, test guys out and not get hurt. That's it. They certainly don't need to appease the fans and risk injurys.

What does giving it all, throwing all you got at the other team in a game that doesn't mean jack do in the long run? Let me answer that for you, it makes you, the fan, feel better. That's it.

The fact that people are ready to say what's going to happen in the regular season based on the preseason makes no sense. Maybe, to save yourselves the anguish, dont watch preseason games?

Chuck Dickerson, is that you?

Having said that, trying to make any positive judgments is baseless embellishment.

Defensively this wasn't the Pats, it was Ponder & Co. They were 3-13 last season.

People are going to keep pushing this off into the regular season, but if the first unit cannot show some competency next week in however many plays they log, sorry, they're not going to just pull it from their tailpipe on opening day.

I'm very concerned. So far this offense hasn't even proven that it can play against a first team D. So what if it's "vanilla," these games are a measure of talent v. talent. Both defenses faced were below average last season. Their offenses were about the same.

I simply don't share the optimism that so many are feeling. I see a gain of Mario, a reduction in play at the corner spots, weakness at the LB unit other than for Barnett, a marginal #1 WR and a bunch of 3/4/5 type WRs after him to fill in and start at #2, and a soon to be QB on the outs and contractual albatross. That's not a recipe for improvement and net gain in performance.

Preseason! It is still preseason right? I agree with alot of opinions shared here, but to think this is what we have to look forward to come regular season is asinine. If you're watching the games you can clearly see there's not alot of effect coming from either side O nor D. With how unfortunate we have been with the injury bug I could careless if the D allowed 100 points and the O put up 0, as long as our guys stay injury free so be.. I'm more looking at the second and third unit anyway..

Wow, I'm just out of it, I guess. I keep thinking that preseason is the time to test things, make progress, build a momentum, show some spark, develop a swagger, etc., but I guess the vast majority of those posting above know better. According to them, the preseason is just a time period to suffer through, and all will sparkle once we get into the Jets game. But wait, my thoughts may just be foolish caterwauling.... Still, I think just a smidgeon of doubt is acceptable at this point, don't you?

Having said that, trying to make any positive judgments is baseless embellishment.

Defensively this wasn't the Pats, it was Ponder & Co. They were 3-13 last season.

People are going to keep pushing this off into the regular season, but if the first unit cannot show some competency next week in however many plays they log, sorry, they're not going to just pull it from their tailpipe on opening day.

I'm very concerned. So far this offense hasn't even proven that it can play against a first team D. So what if it's "vanilla," these games are a measure of talent v. talent. Both defenses faced were below average last season. Their offenses were about the same.

I simply don't share the optimism that so many are feeling. I see a gain of Mario, a reduction in play at the corner spots, weakness at the LB unit other than for Barnett, a marginal #1 WR and a bunch of 3/4/5 type WRs after him to fill in and start at #2, and a soon to be QB on the outs and contractual albatross. That's not a recipe for improvement and net gain in performance.

I know its preseason. But in preseason you will still get the feel for what your team will look like in the regular season. Right now, very concerned. People want to point to Detroit's 4 - 0 2008 preseason, that's OK. The same can be said for New Orleans in 2009. Record was 3 - 1, first three games they outscored opponents 100 - 28 and looked good doing it. They then want on the win the super bowl (well Indy lost the bowl more than the Saints won it). So yes, very concerned about the Bills rightnow.

There were two entirely different approaches taken by the two teams tonight.

Offensively Minnesota was running a bunch of sprint options, play action, waggles and even a fleaflicker for gawd's sake. Meanwhile the Bills did nothing fancier than a 2ndhalf wildcat look and a couple read options.

Defensively the Vikings were trying to disguise coverages and confuse Fitzpatrick on nearly every play and even threw in some overload blitzes and zonedawgs in the early part of the game while the Bills just played it straight up with an occasional stunt and virtually no attempts at deception.

While I'll continue to maintain that we have issues with our LB corps, trying to make any negative judgements about this team from tonight's game is nothing more than foolish caterwauling.

good to see the coaches feel no need to prepare for the season

they will use the first 3-4 real games to work out the kinks of running real plays and game planning while using pre-season for player evaluation - practice and film are just too hard to use to see if a player has any skills

Let me know what that concern buys you. At this point we've got who we've got. Let's watch them put the whole recipie together, real effort and see what happens. Lets go buf!

Preseason games should not even be televised. They are worse than camp scrimmages. One team is going for it and the other one is plain vanilla at 50% effort. Give me an 18 game schedule .

Including them in season ticket packages at full price is totally absurd and an insult to the fans. these things should be half price at best. With the new CBA, less is done in camp and coaches are really pulling back on preseason "games"

I know its preseason. But in preseason you will still get the feel for what your team will look like in the regular season. Right now, very concerned. People want to point to Detroit's 4 - 0 2008 preseason, that's OK. The same can be said for New Orleans in 2009. Record was 3 - 1, first three games they outscored opponents 100 - 28 and looked good doing it. They then want on the win the super bowl (well Indy lost the bowl more than the Saints won it). So yes, very concerned about the Bills rightnow.

wrong. you get no feel for anything watching preseason games. they are not even camp scrimmage comparable. everyone trying to avoid getting hurt. injured guys feeling there way through. give me an 18 game season and larger roster sizes and lets get after it, for crying out loud. the preseason is just plain bad.