One thing worth noting from tonight's scrimmage

Simon

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support women's equality. And I support women becoming football fans. However, there seem to be too many women on this thread, voicing opinions while suffering from PMS. How else to explain all the pointless bitching and the complete lack of understanding of what preseason games are meant to accomplish, which is mainly to see if your core players have progressed or regressed since last season, to see if any of the new guys have what it takes, and to try out things when the games don't matter to see how they are working and to give your regular season opponents something to think about. Oh yeah, and not to reveal too much of what you're going to do when the games do count.

I forget the exact quote, but Marv Levy once said that if his team wins a preseason game, he figures he screwed up. By which I took him to mean that you try things that don't make sense to the average fan, and which you probably wouldn't do in the regular season, just to see how your guys handle it.

Ray Bentley, the play by play guy for the Bills preseason games, said in an interview on GR this week that Marv would tell the veterans on the first team defense that if they got a 3 and out on the first series or two, they got to come out of the game. It was the only way he could motivate the players to actually try. Bentley said they never tried, they only wanted to get out of the game healthy. But if it meant trying to get a 3 and out so they wouldnt be put back in the game, they would try to get that.

That shows you how much stock players put in these games (and of course I am only talking about the starters).

The irony is were all scouring these pages to read opinions. It wouldn't be a very interesting read if we all played the Mr Rationale Man, trumpeting "it's too early to make judgements."

I was just suggesting that using the Vikings scrimmage to make any kind of value judgement on the team as a whole was foolhardy. I think using the preseason to try to get a read on how the younger players are progressing is fair game.

I hear what you're saying with the whole,"it's too early to be negative, the scheme...", but didn't you once say to yourself over the last two games, wow, "Sheppard Looks Terrible".

Heck, I've been saying that since about 20 minutes after George Edwards made teh mistake of pulling Andra Davis off the field and replacing him with Sheppard in the Jets game last year, especially when he insisted on doing it in the Bills heavy packages. Kelvin immediately became the very worst player on a really bad defense; he doesn't have the ass to fill the whole and he doesn't have the feet to cover anybody in this league. He did show a little progress as the season progressed but I still don't think he'll ever be a good enough ballplayer to be an NFL starter.

... Heck, I've been saying that since about 20 minutes after George Edwards made teh mistake of pulling Andra Davis off the field and replacing him with Sheppard in the Jets game last year, especially when he insisted on doing it in the Bills heavy packages. Kelvin immediately became the very worst player on a really bad defense; he doesn't have the ass to fill the whole and he doesn't have the feet to cover anybody in this league. He did show a little progress as the season progressed but I still don't think he'll ever be a good enough ballplayer to be an NFL starter.

Actually, I remember your post saying just that. Is there ANY hope this kid can turn it around?

GO BILLS!!!

I support women's equality. And I support women becoming football fans. However, there seem to be too many women on this thread, voicing opinions while suffering from PMS.

Ten bucks says you couldn't identify the women in this thread with both hands and a DNA kit. Now where's the popcorn?

Ray Bentley, the play by play guy for the Bills preseason games, said in an interview on GR this week that Marv would tell the veterans on the first team defense that if they got a 3 and out on the first series or two, they got to come out of the game. It was the only way he could motivate the players to actually try. Bentley said they never tried, they only wanted to get out of the game healthy. But if it meant trying to get a 3 and out so they wouldnt be put back in the game, they would try to get that.

That shows you how much stock players put in these games (and of course I am only talking about the starters).

Interesting. I wonder what's wrong with KW then since that boy was certainly hustling.

If Merriman wasn't trying this PS, he "not tried" himself right out of Dodge, er, B'lo.

They are just a bunch of average guys that will not take us to the next level, that is the problem.

A Goon Squad, in short.

Hmmm, where did I hear that before?

Edited by Hopeful