Wildcat: I just threw up in my mouth.

MikeSpeed

One logical advantage is that it adds another blocker--- once the QB hands the ball off he is virtually invisible. Taking Fitz off the field and direct snapping to Brad Smith would theoretically give him an extra blocker on running plays if there is indeed the threat of a pass.

Yep. On a typical running play it's 10 vs. 11 because the QB is just staying out of the way. With the Wildcat, it's 11 versus 11. You've just increased your manpower by 10%.

Also, the Wildcat is schematically very different than the Bills normal O. Assuming we could execute the Wildcat well, other teams would have to game-plan for it thus reducing the amount of time they game play against the normal Fitz-led Offense.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line: Brad Smith ran the wildcat last year and passed for one first down out of, what, eleven attempts? The team is better off with a direct snap to Jackson. ANY team is better off with a direct snap to their RB, because that isn't anticipated. Every D knows that a team only throws out of the wildcat 10%-15% of the time. It was outdated as soon as the season in which the fins reintroduced it ended, DCs are onto it, and since no one ever throws out of it, it's a harmless "formation."

Edited by Offsides Number 76

I guess I just don't get it.

You take out the starting QB, and pretty much ignore the starting RBs. Then you put in a guy that is not capable of being the second string QB to replace the starting QB? The guy isn't even good enough to be the back-up RB. It just makes no sense to remove your supposedly best players and replace them with one of lesser ability.

Can you imagine that it's 3rd and 1 and we run the wildcat up the middle and we don't make it? The first words out of my mouth will be "Why didn't you at least give it to Freddie?"

I just don't get it.

So someone please enlighten me as to what possible match-up problems this gimmick is suppose to create. Please don't give me the coaches speak of "It makes the apposing team have to prepare for it" crap. Every D coordinator in the NFL has figured it out by now. So if you can give me some genuine Xs and Os reasons like, it allows the o-line to block like... Or it puts the DBs in this situation... then maybe I'll be able to control me gag reflex better.

Thanks!

Brad Smith was very sucessful with the Jets in the wildcat. Why can't he do that here. He has tha bility to take it the length of the field running and can throw the ball a mile. He was a very successful college QB at Mizzou. he's fast, he can throw, he can cath. He is a great person. We should all be glad to have him. I am not a riligious person by any means but Brad has as much faith or more than some other current Jet wildcat QB. He just doesn't shove it in your face.

Bottom line: Brad Smith ran the wildcat last year and passed for one first down out of, what, eleven attempts? The team is better off with a direct snap to Jackson. ANY team is better off with a direct snap to their RB, because that isn't anticipated. Every D knows that a team only throws out of the wildcat 10%-15% of the time. It was outdated as soon as the season in which the fins reintroduced it ended, DCs are onto it, and since no one ever throws out of it, it's a harmless "formation."

I don't think anyone is making the point that our wildcat was good last year - though it was reasonably effective in the beginning of the year at running for 1st downs.

But last year had a lockout-shortened offseason and Chan wasn't able to implement his enitire offensive package nor practice it to the point of executional perfection. Additionally, we have Coach Lee on staff now and he's supposedly THE wildcat guru.

No one wants to return to last year's wildcat. Some of us are interested to see what we can do with it this year.

And remember, the Wilcat's effectiveness can't be measured solely by it's production. Part of the idea is to make opposing defenses waste practice time on it so they spend less time practicing for our base offense.

Forget the word wildcat. Spread option. Tebow ran it well last year, as an example.

It's a gimmick. Bottom line.

What I don't get, is- with the exception of the Fred Jackson TD throw 2 seasons ago- if you come out every time and run the same type of play (QB runs with ball), then that sort of defeats the whole purpose of running the gimmick in the first place.

If its purpose is to confuse a defense, then there has got to be some versatility built into it. Brad Smith can't just keep running it.

I'm kinda surprised we are this deep in the thread and nobody has mentioned that the play develops much faster on a direct snap.

The mismatch and extra blocker are both excellent reasons but taking out the handoff and starting the "qb"(rb) a couple of yards closer increases the speed of the play development and decreases the defenses reaction time.

Brad Smith was very sucessful with the Jets in the wildcat. Why can't he do that here. He has tha bility to take it the length of the field running and can throw the ball a mile. He was a very successful college QB at Mizzou. he's fast, he can throw, he can cath. He is a great person. We should all be glad to have him. I am not a riligious person by any means but Brad has as much faith or more than some other current Jet wildcat QB. He just doesn't shove it in your face.

Now this is pretty funny.

we picked up a firsts several times on it last year.

it forces other teams to waste game prep time on it.

It is easy for us to run as its mostly just a power running option type offense.

It helped miami win a lot of games on when they sucked otherwise.

It allows some cheap td passes if you run it effectively.

and finally.....it worked well as a change up in Madden! if i ran it too much it would get stuffed but when i yanked it out on big third downs it would always work. it is just so different than a normal play it throws defenses off.

I like it!

I want to see them pass out of it......

I know!!! It would be nice if just once they would throw out of the wildcat, if the other team thinks you might take a shot downfield then maybe it will put more pressure on their defense. I want us to gamble and throw it downfield sometimes, we gotta take shots at defenses this year, even if we dont think we have a great deep threat, just throw it and see what happens.

But we don't always split Fitz out, we sub him out. Which makes what we run NOT the Wildcat, but actually the spread offense.

Exactly. There is no "extra" blocker people, and we threw once out of it (for an interception). The way WE run it, Its simply a spread formation direct snap to a backup qb who scrambles for short yardage.

I know Chan knows a thousand times more about nfl offenses than me, but I would love to see the average yardage gained by a hundred brad smith wildcats vs 100 fred jackson direct snaps. Not to mention fumble risk between the two.

I hate it man. Just because something works sometimes doesnt mean its your lowest risk, best play to call. I get that Brad is an amazing athlete but he's not our best runner.

I'm kinda surprised we are this deep in the thread and nobody has mentioned that the play develops much faster on a direct snap.

The mismatch and extra blocker are both excellent reasons but taking out the handoff and starting the "qb"(rb) a couple of yards closer increases the speed of the play development and decreases the defenses reaction time.

Good point.

PS My take on why the Bills signed VY is because he is a bigger, stronger version of BS, and should do worlds better running the WC. VY is the better QB & RB. IMO. Its what he did in college and was a world beater at it. 467 yards of offense in the 06 rose bowl. the #3 overall pick in 2006. if there ever was a QB to build an offense around its this guy. The Bills need to look at how the Panthers were able to get Cam Newton to run that "air Coryell" offense so well.

Should Fitz suffer an injury which puts him on the bench, i sure have more faith in VY who was a 2x pro bowler and starter as backup then TT or BS. But then, wth do I know.

Vince young adds the passing element to a wildcat formation. He can run and he can throw better than Brad Smith. I would not be surprised if the Bills actually cut Brad Smith and keep Vince Young and Thigpen.

No it wasn't.

From what I recall, it worked fine. I remember being disappointed seeing brad smith on 3rd and 1 but I also remember being relieved that he converted every time. I don't recall him missing one.

For what it's worth OP, when they ran the wild cat at practice recently they had spiller and Jackson getting quite a few carries too. I'm looking forward to the wildcat this year with the offseason to work on it as chan has pointed out

Exactly. There is no "extra" blocker people, and we threw once out of it (for an interception). The way WE run it, Its simply a spread formation direct snap to a backup qb who scrambles for short yardage.

I know Chan knows a thousand times more about nfl offenses than me, but I would love to see the average yardage gained by a hundred brad smith wildcats vs 100 fred jackson direct snaps. Not to mention fumble risk between the two.

I hate it man. Just because something works sometimes doesnt mean its your lowest risk, best play to call. I get that Brad is an amazing athlete but he's not our best runner.

Wildcat fanboys read this and be silent. You have been completely disarmed by these three concise, true paragraphs crafted surgically by the man from Webster.

Awesome post. Wish I could have distilled all of my wildcat posts down to this one.

If I was designing an offense, it would QB under center, RB offset behind the QB, two WR to each outside, one WR in the slot, and one TE who goes in motion every snap. In addition, the QB would use play-action every snap.

If I was designing an offense, it would QB under center, RB offset behind the QB, two WR to each outside, one WR in the slot, and one TE who goes in motion every snap. In addition, the QB would use play-action every snap.

I'm no math major, but I don't think that circle will fit in the square peg....