Sucky start to the season

Nikki

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any fan who has paid attention for any period of time knows that results in preseason games have zero relevance. It's to get the starters up to speed and it's to evaluate individual players. They don't game plan. They don't care what the score is.

If you watch these games looking for that football drama you've been craving since last year, you will be disappointed. If you think it's an indicator of what the regular season will look like, you're a fool.

We saw some guys make some plays. Mario looked good. Cordy Glenn did well. Nobody important got hurt. SUCCESS!

We didn't even have any run plays with the first offense. They obviously took the game as practice.. which it was.. I do believe we all know Freddie and CJ can run.. We don't know who our starting receivers are going to be though..

Just remember that Trent Edwards and Spiller tore it up in preseason two years ago. If I remember, Fitz and the O could do nothing last year in preseason and started great. I look at the preseason as an opportunity for individuals to make plays. Unfortunately we do not have anyone to chuck it up to any one of our ten 6.2 230 receivers so that that they could distinguish themselves from one another.

Preseason is a glorified practice. Let the ESPNs of the world over-analyze.

But as far as the refs go, the NFL needs to do something before the season starts.

Then by the same token, the good things that occur need to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well then, right?

I mean at least if that argument is going to be consistent, right?

Agree on the refs, they'll either need to step up in a big way or it's going to really be bad. The review machines should get a good workout this year until the regulars come back.

Any fan who has paid attention for any period of time knows that results in preseason games have zero relevance. It's to get the starters up to speed and it's to evaluate individual players. They don't game plan. They don't care what the score is.

If you watch these games looking for that football drama you've been craving since last year, you will be disappointed. If you think it's an indicator of what the regular season will look like, you're a fool.

We saw some guys make some plays. Mario looked good. Cordy Glenn did well. Nobody important got hurt. SUCCESS!

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously then, by your own reasoning, we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Edited by TaskersGhost

Then by the same token, the good things that occur need to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well then, right?

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Well, not exactly. Although these games aren't competitive, there is competition going on. A lot of These players are fighting to be on the team, or fighting for a starting position. So you can draw conclusions on players with limited film tape whether or not Glenn should be starter is a lot more sensible than saying the team is off to a bad start of the season, before the season starts. Pre season is about the individual battles, not how the team performs as a whole in a preseason game.

Sin short, it matters what Glenn looks like in preseason because he is fighting for a starting job. It matters what Mario looks like in preseason because he is coming off a season ending injury. It does not matter that the bills decided to throw the ball 14 times and not run it once, which resulted in no tds. That isn't what these games are meant for.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Agree on the refs, they'll either need to step up in a big way or it's going to really be bad. The review machines should get a good workout this year until the regulars come back.

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously then, by your own reasoning, we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Yes just like a practice if a player looks good he looks good nothing more nothing less. But you can't judge a whole team based on one game where there's not really a game plan.

I didn't know the season started yet.

But in all seriousness, if these preseason games are any indicator, the nfl really needs to get the refs back. These replacements will ruin the season for sure

No Doubt. They were horrible in the First game. Hopefully they'll clean it up...

For me I like to see the starters look decent against the other teams starters.

Before this last game I expected the D to look out of sync because of all the new players and the semi-new DC. But overall I was impressed with how they did as a unit.

The O was perplexing though. Same OC, same QB, same major players and they looked like they had never even practiced together much less played all of last season together.

Basically I saw the reverse of what I was expecting.

First preseason game so Gailey has a few weeks still to right the ship. The third preseason game when we see the starters longer will give us a much better idea of where they are.