Jasper cut

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as was similarly stated, Bills had been doing well with latter round picks Stevie and Bell... and other worth a shot. i think maybe the worry is they don't seem to take the picks as seriously, and to be honest some of Buddy's comments about latter round picks this year like Asper, Potter and the one we traded away, were very non-chalant and what you would say about an undrafted guy... basically they are bodies, who cares, just a flyer at that point.. etc.

i mean, out starting QB and #1 WR are both 7th rounders, and our starting RB and #2 WR were undrafted. they shouldn't be throwaway picks. not saying Jasper was or anything, but Nix definitely gives the vibe he doesn't take 6th or 7th rounders that seriously.

Or maybe we finally have a FO who knows how to draft well in rounds 1-5, which turns the later rounds into rounds we can take risks in.

God forbid the Bills actually learn how to draft well early.

Im not sure if that the bolded sentence is an argument for later picks, or against our old FO who whiffed on early picks.

That's is two strikes for the you tube scouting department. I guess the best means to find talent is still the old fashion reliance on college programs to filter the masses and bring the best and brightest to the top.

Rediculous. They need to come up with a reality show to discover talent of something. Morddak could play the Simon Cowell role.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Perhaps it was a nice gesture to cut Jasper sooner rather than later... so that he has a chance to catch on with another team.

Sadly, I think this was purely a "get our guys who might actually play some more reps" move.

The true "nice" gesture was showing Jasper the interest and giving him an opportunity (and a salary) over the past 16 months. The kid really shouldn't have ANY bitter feelings towards the Bills; they gave him a chance to live the dream.

Well..they took a flyer on Jasper, and its too bad he didn't pan out. They gave him a year and if they aren't seeing potential cutting was the right thing to do. He might catch on with another team, and I wish him well, but Gailey and Nix were given their jobs for a reason, and deciding who to cut is what they are paid for.

it was bound to happen sooner or later. woulda been a great story to see him pull through and make a name for himself but hes a smart dude (and i think his mother is a school administrator right?) and he hasn't produced half a dozen mini-mike jaspers so I'm sure he will be fine and find good work in a sports/media related field. I wish ya the best big mike, shadow mike, mountain mike, magic mike, bubbly mike, mike buble or whatever the hell else everyone tried calling you.

also, wheres the guy who knows the girl big mike has been dating? wheres the gossip yo!

Although I don't think I'm the guy you're referring to because I never mentioned it here, I do know the girl Jasper has been dating. We were in the same class at North Tonwanda High School. I haven't talked to her in years, but we are friends on Facebook. Every once in a while she posts some pictures of them together. Anyway, if I hear or see anything noteworthy about Jasper I'll post it.

Also keep in mind, there was no Undrafted Free Agency last year. Teams knew that if they liked a guy, even as a risk, they HAD to draft him at some point. There was no other way of getting him on the team, and a 7th round pick was the cheapest method possible.

Or maybe we finally have a FO who knows how to draft well in rounds 1-5, which turns the later rounds into rounds we can take risks in.

God forbid the Bills actually learn how to draft well early.

Im not sure if that the bolded sentence is an argument for later picks, or against our old FO who whiffed on early picks.

It's also a sign of better depth. When you are resigning your own and not cutting busts, there is little room for 6th and 7th round picks to make your team. Therefore that is when you take a flyer on a kicker, a QB, or a physical specimen and see what you can do with them for a year or two on or off the PS. Wouldn't it be nice to see a couple of draft picks not make it because the rest of the squad is too good???

it was bound to happen sooner or later. woulda been a great story to see him pull through and make a name for himself but hes a smart dude (and i think his mother is a school administrator right?) and he hasn't produced half a dozen mini-mike jaspers so I'm sure he will be fine and find good work in a sports/media related field. I wish ya the best big mike, shadow mike, mountain mike, magic mike, bubbly mike, mike buble or whatever the hell else everyone tried calling you.

also, wheres the guy who knows the girl big mike has been dating? wheres the gossip yo!

That's me yo! I really don't know anything else other than him getting cut. Hopefully he lands somewhere because he was a good dude.

Sadly, I think this was purely a "get our guys who might actually play some more reps" move.

The true "nice" gesture was showing Jasper the interest and giving him an opportunity (and a salary) over the past 16 months. The kid really shouldn't have ANY bitter feelings towards the Bills; they gave him a chance to live the dream.

Agreed.

The kid was simply not good enough to be an NFL player. He seemed to be too nice, always laughing. Didn't seem to have a mean bone or any of the killer instinct one needs to succeed at that level.

Do people really think this move is going to come back and bite us in the ass?

Edited by stony