Lee Evans released

silvermike

Ok, now I can't find it. Maybe it was a tweet. Basically, it was reported that somebody asked Nix if he had any interest in bringing back Evans and he gave a one word response: "No." Sorry for the misleading link info.

So, is every veteran who has had the unfortunate experience of playing on bad teams a "long-time loser" who doesn't deserve to play for a winner or team on the upswing?

Serious question.

I have no problem with Moorman, McGee, or even Lindell being on this team. If they are consistently mediocre (Kelsay), fail in the clutch (Evans), or a "leader" of long time suck teams (Kelsay and to a lesser degree Evans), I have no use for them. JMO.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with Moorman, McGee, or even Lindell being on this team. If they are consistently mediocre (Kelsay), fail in the clutch (Evans), or a "leader" of long time suck teams (Kelsay and to a lesser degree Evans), I have no use for them. JMO.

That's an "interesting" take.

I don't know if Graham reported it, but I heard some of the John Murphy Show yesterday and he said he asked Buddy if they had an interest in Evans, and Buddy just had one word - No.

Ok, now I can't find it. Maybe it was a tweet. Basically, it was reported that somebody asked Nix if he had any interest in bringing back Evans and he gave a one word response: "No." Sorry for the misleading link info.

looks like bbb has it right, but you were correct about Nix...

Great post... precisely why it makes no sense to keep a long time loser like Chris Kelsay on this team.

Let's see now, Kelsay has a college degree, is a family man and good enough to play in the NFL for a long time and he's a loser?!The team sucked, it was not his fault. Me thinks you are confusing a loser of a team vs one player. So if we make the playoffs he's good all of a sudden? PS, Just because your status shows "All-Pro" doesn't really mean you are.

Let's see now, Kelsay has a college degree, is a family man and good enough to play in the NFL for a long time and he's a loser?!The team sucked, it was not his fault. Me thinks you are confusing a loser of a team vs one player. So if we make the playoffs he's good all of a sudden? PS, Just because your status shows "All-Pro" doesn't really mean you are.

So the team "sucked" because of all the players who were worse than Kelsay?

First, I'm not going to mention the other players again that have been shipped out of town. This thread isn't about them. It's about Lee Evans. I know he has lost a step because THE ONLY OFFICIAL WAY TO JUDGE A PLAYERS PLAY IS BY HIS STATISTICS!!! You can't judge him by the "IT" factor, you can't judge him by how nice he is, you can't judge him by how old he is, you can't judge him anything else. The only sure way to do it is by his production. And Lees production has been horrible the last 3 years in a row. And before those 3 years it was only good for 2 of the rest. Not great but good. I'm not saying he CANT come back and be productive but I'm saying the odds are against him at this point. He was MOSTLY a speed demon. Not saying he woulnt or couldn't run many routes. I don't care how many routes he can run. He didn't. He mostly ran flys and posts and after being 31 and after a few injuries it doesn't look good. Again, not saying he won't or can't be as fast but the odds are against him. You don't see too many 31 year olds running the 100m dash in the Olympics do you??? They don't because they generally can't keep up with the young 22 year olds. It's just a fact that when you get older you slow down. I'm not going to male a guess how old you are but I'm over 30 and I can tell you I don't move the way I did when I was 22. Ya I'm sure it's not always the case but the general consensus is that people slow down as they get older.

I will comment on Stevie J and his game against the Jets. I will not compare it to Lee because there is no comparison to make. I'm only mentioning it because you made a point to say everyone thinks this performance was all worldly. There's a reason for that. He put up that performance against agruably the best CB in the game today. That's the Only reason why people think it was good.

As far as Easley or Graham goes. It doesn't matter if they will be better or not. Because they don't have to replace Lee Evans. That's not thier job. If they are better, great, if not, I don't care. We got A draft pick for an aging WR that is now battling injuries and was on his last year of his contract and wouldn't have been resigned anyway.

Instead of stating your unconditional love for Lee Evans and hating on the Bills and all the moves they make, take a look at some of the guys they DID sign and kept as apposed to the few they didn't.

Freddy

Stevie

Fitz

Williams

McGee- which is proving to be a mistake

Wilson

for every guy you say is a mistake to let go of, I can name one that wasn't let go. It's a business and these things happen. We, as fans can't make a guy stay or want to stay in Buffalo. Guys like McGahee for example. If they want out, do you really want a guy like that playing out his contract? You really want his loud mouth in the locker room being a cancer to the rest of the team? Cmon bro. Your better than that. There is not 1 single person in Buffalo that Thought getting rid of Willis wasnt a good idea. And that's why I question your intelligence or where you live. Because if you lived here at the time of Willis' badmouthing the city and making comments about how the team would be better off in Toronto and you still wanted him then I don't know what to say.

On my final note. The HUGE reason why I think Lee Evans is finished is this: he was injured, traded, injured again, cut, picked up, cut again all within a year. The guys that know what they are taking about like Nix, Newsome, and whoever the Jags have have made my mind up for me. They are the professionals and do this everyday. They know talent when they see it. Like I said before. It's not like the Bills let him go and he is doing good now. He was let go by 3 NFL franchises. And he's not exactly lighting up the phones with calls now is he. Sure I don't know what's going on in the rest of the league and his Verizon service but in today's age with Twitter and Facebook and ESPN you pretty much know everytime one of these guys takes a piss let alone tries out for a team. I haven't heard Any of that. Heck, even TO who is hated by most and out of the league for a year got a job. Just saying man. The league proving you wrong at this point.

wow you really mix and match points just to suit your argument dont you. I said the old regimes cut good players, you point out current players who we signed. I agree with what we do now, including keeping meriman and easley until we know for sure. You are wrong about graham, he was most definitely signed as evans' replacement, you said speed was evans' game, well evans was faster and stronger than graham, who was signed for his speed, as quoted by chan. i think i said twice about mcgahee being an example of a productive old guy, cut by the ravens...who is still starting even though hes slower. you argue about "why we cut him" i know why, but it doesnt change the facts about what happened after we cut him and his current age= to evans.

one more try...the point is lee evans could still be very good, you dont really know anymore than what someone watching the news knows, there are 30 teams that may sign him still, if they do and he plays well...you are totally wrong about your position on his skills and if we made a mistake. I dont think a fourth for a first rounder is a good trade, we also had to use a third on his replacement who may suck.

so why you try to argue that age = lost speed, mcgahee was a cancer, bills made good signings etc... I dont know. i agree with all that. But i also see alot of old guys that have second winds in their careers after injury. your main point is "3 YEARS OF POOR STATS" ok well thats a rediculous point. He was injured for half of the last two seasons and the third season had trent edwards at qb who won 2 games and never threw deep! stats dont tell that story and if injuries are used to judge players, how were merimans and easleys last two years? why do we keep them around?

Edited by loserlovers

I have no problem with Moorman, McGee, or even Lindell being on this team. If they are consistently mediocre (Kelsay), fail in the clutch (Evans stevie johnson),

i fixed your post rico, when exactly did evans ever fail in the clutch? crap season statistcs were more a result of crap coaching and worse QB'ing, but I dont remember any big game drops when evans was here. Not like SJ's pittsburg or NY jets game losing drops.

i fixed your post rico, when exactly did evans ever fail in the clutch? crap season statistcs were more a result of crap coaching and worse QB'ing, but I dont remember any big game drops when evans was here. Not like SJ's pittsburg or NY jets game losing drops.

Does SJ have to leave the Bills for you to get a huge man crush on him as well?

I dont think a fourth for a first rounder is a good trade

If you still honesty believe that getting a 4th round pick for Evans was a bad trade then you are beyond delusional. Either that or you're not big enough to admit you were wrong. Don't worry, you may still get to see your hero play again, I hear the Ti-Cats are interested.

Last year's AFC Championship game erased any good will that Evans may have built up throughout his career. Ask any Ravens fans here in Baltimore if they wanted him back. :lol: He is the chump of chumps... sad but true.

Well Dopey :lol: , Kelsay was a big part of the problem and never part of the solution, so it most certainly was his fault. PS Thanks for the clarification. :D

wow you really mix and match points just to suit your argument dont you. I said the old regimes cut good players, you point out current players who we signed. I agree with what we do now, including keeping meriman and easley until we know for sure. You are wrong about graham, he was most definitely signed as evans' replacement, you said speed was evans' game, well evans was faster and stronger than graham, who was signed for his speed, as quoted by chan. i think i said twice about mcgahee being an example of a productive old guy, cut by the ravens...who is still starting even though hes slower. you argue about "why we cut him" i know why, but it doesnt change the facts about what happened after we cut him and his current age= to evans.

one more try...the point is lee evans could still be very good, you dont really know anymore than what someone watching the news knows, there are 30 teams that may sign him still, if they do and he plays well...you are totally wrong about your position on his skills and if we made a mistake. I dont think a fourth for a first rounder is a good trade, we also had to use a third on his replacement who may suck.

so why you try to argue that age = lost speed, mcgahee was a cancer, bills made good signings etc... I dont know. i agree with all that. But i also see alot of old guys that have second winds in their careers after injury. your main point is "3 YEARS OF POOR STATS" ok well thats a rediculous point. He was injured for half of the last two seasons and the third season had trent edwards at qb who won 2 games and never threw deep! stats dont tell that story and if injuries are used to judge players, how were merimans and easleys last two years? why do we keep them around?

I'm done with this argument. Just like you did, I will add my last point. The only way to judge a player is by his statistics. It's "official". There is no "ifs" or "buts" about statistics. They are what they are. Easley and Merriman BTW are bother under 27 years old so that throws a wrench into the argument because I said players generally lose a step after 30, which Evans is.

I agree with you that he COULD come back and be productive. I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't think Lee is the guy that's going to do it.

Let's put our money where our mouths are. I'm already in the hook with a lucky winner here I might as well give you the same. Let's make a bet. A beer to whoevers right. I'll bet you that Lee never finishes another 16 games ever. And I'll double down on it if you want. If he does, I'll double up if he ever has a year where he has over 40 catches and 500 yards. I'm game if you are. Let's shut the f*%k up and let Lee do the talking here. If your in, save this post and LOL at me all you want while you drink your beer. I'm confident, are you?

If you still honesty believe that getting a 4th round pick for Evans was a bad trade then you are beyond delusional. Either that or you're not big enough to admit you were wrong. Don't worry, you may still get to see your hero play again, I hear the Ti-Cats are interested.

i guess you dont read my posts, but just repeat your opinion without letting logic or reasoning sink in.

I'm done with this argument. Just like you did, I will add my last point. The only way to judge a player is by his statistics. It's "official". There is no "ifs" or "buts" about statistics. They are what they are. Easley and Merriman BTW are bother under 27 years old so that throws a wrench into the argument because I said players generally lose a step after 30, which Evans is.

I agree with you that he COULD come back and be productive. I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't think Lee is the guy that's going to do it.

Let's put our money where our mouths are. I'm already in the hook with a lucky winner here I might as well give you the same. Let's make a bet. A beer to whoevers right. I'll bet you that Lee never finishes another 16 games ever. And I'll double down on it if you want. If he does, I'll double up if he ever has a year where he has over 40 catches and 500 yards. I'm game if you are. Let's shut the f*%k up and let Lee do the talking here. If your in, save this post and LOL at me all you want while you drink your beer. I'm confident, are you?

almost all people on the board understand how statistics dont show the truth. there are many ifs, and statistics totally lie, very often. Heres a famous one. under wade philips we were 21-10 or some BS like that. = he was a good coach. But the truth was, under our defense and doug flutie we were 21-10, and the losses were the games wade put rob johnson in. if you watched those seasons you could see wade was an idiot. but the sats lie. Trent was 5-1 once without going deep once. right now chan is 10-22, but everyone loves him. stats prove themselves over time. a very long time. like Brett farve or jerry rice. no one can argue these type of stats, but where are wade and trent now? wheres chan gailey? wheres rob johnson who always mantained a high qb rating in all his losses?

but ill take you and your beer bet.

Last year's AFC Championship game erased any good will that Evans may have built up throughout his career. Ask any Ravens fans here in Baltimore if they wanted him back. :lol: He is the chump of chumps... sad but true.

i said when he was "here" and one play doesnt erase 7 years of good play, oh and SJ must be a double chump for having two huge drops....where no one was near him.

almost all people on the board understand how statistics dont show the truth. there are many ifs, and statistics totally lie, very often. Heres a famous one. under wade philips we were 21-10 or some BS like that. = he was a good coach. But the truth was, under our defense and doug flutie we were 21-10, and the losses were the games wade put rob johnson in. if you watched those seasons you could see wade was an idiot. but the sats lie. Trent was 5-1 once without going deep once. right now chan is 10-22, but everyone loves him. stats prove themselves over time. a very long time. like Brett farve or jerry rice. no one can argue these type of stats, but where are wade and trent now? wheres chan gailey? wheres rob johnson who always mantained a high qb rating in all his losses?

but ill take you and your beer bet.

Stats are the ONLY OFFICIAL way to judge a player. Yes you are right. There are tons of other factors. BUT!!!! To this day, right this second, there is NO OTHER WAY. Officially. And IMO stats for a WR are pretty cut and dry. There's none of this "doesn't have good numbers but wins games" type of player at WR. That's saved for QBs. There's none of this "he has that "IT" factor" talk. It's a freaking WR. You either get open or you don't. You either catch passes, or you don't. Lees best years were with a QB that ONLY threw deep and ONLY threw to him (exagerating a little but it's pretty clear he was good at the long and Evams was his favorite target) and he still only topped 1,000 yards twice, and never had over 10 TDs. "Good" WRs hit those numbers pretty consistently. They usually don't have 700-800 yard seasons in there. One could make and argument that Moulds career was the same, only thing is Moulds did it for many years. Lee had 2 years where he was good, 3 less than average, and 3 horrible.

Thank you for taking my bet. I'm officially done with this thread. I'm not going to look at it ever again unless you bring it back up from the depths in 2 years to tell me I'm wrong. I'll eat crow, appaud you and then get in with my day.

I can't recall Evans ever going over the middle, but I never suspected it was because he was unwilling until Chan somewhat implied it before he was traded. I had always put it down to poor offensive design and failure to maximize the team's talent by the likes of Kevin Gilbride, Mike Mularkey, and the offensive geniuses of "Pop Gun" Jauron.

Kevin Gilbride and Mike Mularkey are established OC in the NFL for a long time. It would be foolish to say that they did not know how to use Evans (their main receiver) in their schemes. Lee could play only the long ball as was evident with him connecting with Bledsoe first and then later with Losman. Unfortunately for him, he did not have a complimentary WR or a good consistent QB to make those long plays count, except for that one year when he had Peerless Price and Bledsoe (and the coordinator was Kevin Gilbride).

If given the choice of T.O., Ochocinco, or Evans I gotta go with Evans. I think Evans fits well on a team that needs a vertical threat like Carolina. Everyone said Steve Smith was done and along comes Newton and Smith suddenly is renergized. Evans would fit well in their system.

Edited by BiggieScooby