replacement refs

The replacements got a real "education" last night. Many of the have been top division I college refs but it ain't the same folks. I think Goodell was banking that good college refs would be able to handle the speed of the NFL game, Guess what? They Can't! If this is what we have for the season it will kill the league and fans will stop watching, this I guarentee. It is the equivilant of making some teams (not all) up entirely of rookies, cancelling their training camp and just throwing them in to the fray with the seasoned teams to see how they fair. It is a receipe for disaster!!

There are a few former D-I referees, other than that there is not a single D-I official on the field. These "refs" are made up of lower college levels (think NAIA) and "refs" from other professional and semi-pro leagues. In fact, one of these clowns was FIRED by the Lingerie Football League. Frankly, having these amateurs out there is quite dangerous for the players if you ask me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few former D-I referees, other than that there is not a single D-I official on the field. These "refs" are made up of lower college levels (think NAIA) and "refs" from other professional and semi-pro leagues. In fact, one of these clowns was FIRED by the Lingerie Football League. Frankly, having these amateurs out there is quite dangerous for the players if you ask me.

"Quite dangerous"? How so? You mean without real refs, players might be enticed to purposefully injure eachother, or simply take cheap shots? Or some may get concussions unless the real refs are calling the games?

"Quite dangerous"? How so? You mean without real refs, players might be enticed to purposefully injure eachother, or simply take cheap shots? Or some may get concussions unless the real refs are calling the games?

I see your point: Football's a dangerous game. But, for example, last night the refs missed a defensive player taking a shot at a QB's legs. If you miss roughing the QB, horse collars, and the like, then it does increase the probability that someone will get injured.

I see your point: Football's a dangerous game. But, for example, last night the refs missed a defensive player taking a shot at a QB's legs. If you miss roughing the QB, horse collars, and the like, then it does increase the probability that someone will get injured.

Unless your arguing that players will be more apt to try and sneak in hideous cheap shots than no, it just means they will be slightly less likely to be punished

I watched most of the Chargers/Packers game last night and their replacement refs seemed to do fine. Gruden was bitching about it but honestly if I didn't know they were replacements, I wouldn't have been able to tell. The calls that were reviewable, they had called correctly....and I didn't think there were any more zebra conferences than usual.

Maybe all hell broke loose after I turned it off though.

Of note was the first female NFL official ever. The first flag she threw was replayed and yup, sure enough, it WAS a penalty. Geez. You do NOT need to be a rocket scientist to be an NFL official...or a player...or an owner...or, sorry to say, a FAN.

and the refs did not do any better in the rest of the game "return guy from the g-men got called for holding" lol its just a matter of time and the old refs will be back so we can scream at them again

Edited by superbills315

If there is ANY issue that coaches, players, and fans can all agree on, it should be this. The ONLY side here other than that of coaches, players, FANS, and officials, is that of the league office. The NFL is ENDANGERING the integrity of this sport - a MULTI BILLION DOLLAR SPORT (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the commissioner makes like 10 million a year?) - a sport which purports to be SO AGAINST gambling, and BOUNTIES, things that could jeopardize the integrity of the game...and yet, they're willing to allow a potentially good season of the Buffalo Bills to be compromised by poor officiating!, due to a disagreement over salary.

How outrageous is it, when this game is SOOOOO dependent on accurate officiating, that the NFL would be digging in it's heels on paying these officials a good wage. How many people in the world are qualified to do this? More accurately, there aren't a ton of them - and they're crucial to the sport.

The fans, the players, we should all join up and put pressure on the NFL to get this done with ASAP - Does anyone remember the plights of the NFL and the Players to the Fans during the lockout? Those sides were soooo worried about Fans turning their heads away in disgust, YET - they are not so worried about ruining the sport for US! We should all come up with a way to make it absolutely clear, pay the officials, make it FULL Time, specialized work, so they can perfect a trade, make it as clear of scrutiny as possible - the price we pay for tickets, jerseys, and all the other stuff (not to mention time) we are deserving of having the game be officiated correctly (as opposed to watching outcomes of games potentially altered because they NFL won't pay the BETTER officials what they deserve!).

I agree. It's a black eye to the NFL.

I know it's just preseason, but holy shneikey. A guy moves his eyebrow and gets flagged for illegal motion. happened at least 4 times. on one play our RB white gets clotheslined, ripped down. no call.

but that punt call....one of the worst i've ever seen. i heard an espn guy said something about the replacement refs being trained on a 90 yard field.

The whole game was influenced by the refs. Several obvious blown calls on PI and defensive holding, which would have extended drives. Many of the false start and holding calls were comical--and they put the back-ups in 2nd and 3rd and longs, not giving them much of a chance.

Made me really appreciate the regular refs, who I constantly complain about.

Still don't understand that punt call. I can watch that play a million more times and I still wouldn't understand what they were looking at.

My best guess is they whistled it dead, then the head ref asked the ref watching the goal line if the player to down it stepped into the EZ first and he said something like "um, yeah, someone did... I think it was him," which led them to call it a touchback. Horrible call. That's all I've got trying to make sense of it....

My best guess is they whistled it dead, then the head ref asked the ref watching the goal line if the player to down it stepped into the EZ first and he said something like "um, yeah, someone did... I think it was him," which led them to call it a touchback. Horrible call. That's all I've got trying to make sense of it....

If you closely watch the ref that was right in front of the ball, you can see as he turns to watch Brad Smith right after he throws the beanbag on the ground. My guess is that he thought Ruvell Martin batted the ball (the reason he threw the beanbag) and Brad Smith tried to keep it out of the end zone. Brad doing his crazy goalline dance made the ref think that he had the ball. Thats all I got.

If you closely watch the ref that was right in front of the ball, you can see as he turns to watch Brad Smith right after he throws the beanbag on the ground. My guess is that he thought Ruvell Martin batted the ball (the reason he threw the beanbag) and Brad Smith tried to keep it out of the end zone. Brad doing his crazy goalline dance made the ref think that he had the ball. Thats all I got.

No excuse for the obviously horrible call, but I still can't figure out why Brad Smith felt the need to tip-toe the goal line on that play.

Unless your arguing that players will be more apt to try and sneak in hideous cheap shots than no, it just means they will be slightly less likely to be punished

I don't think players intend to injure. For example, coming out of the hockey lockout the NHL called interference and so players stopped interferring. When the NHL stopped calling interference, the players started again. If the NFL routinely calls roughing the passer calls, players will go at QBs a little less hard. If the NFL calls more horsecollars, players will be reluctant to grab around the shoulder pads.

I think this is true with all penalties. If the refs continue to call pass interference the way they called it in the Bills' first preseason game, then I expect it will be more difficult for receivers to get open.

Somehting I read earlier

Bill Belichick, yet again, proved a willingness to march off-script.

The NFL has provided the 32 teams with suggested talking points regarding the replacement officials.

The memo says nothing about expressing agreement with the opinions of former V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira, who has been (to put it mildly) a thorn in the league's side during this process.

Enter [belichick]. ... "I think Mike Pereira has made his comments on the officials," Belichick said. "I don't know who knows more about NFL officiating than Mike Pereira, so we'll leave it to him." ... So, basically, Belichick has given the league office the finger, in passive-aggressive fashion.

and yes we complain about the 65 year old blind refs. but these guys were having hallucinations