What the Browns deal might mean for the Bills

Reading the latest from John Clayton on the situations in Cleveland and Buffalo and when reviewing the possible ownership change in Cleveland, he says:

Browns fans still haven't recovered from Art Modell's move of the Browns to Baltimore. On Friday, news leaked that owner Randy Lerner was in negotiations to sell a majority share of the team to Steelers minority owner Jim Haslam, a move that could lead to a major overhaul of a front office that turned the roster young.

The first thing I think is "He's going to come for Whaley!" :o

Tell me Im wrong :unsure:

You're wrong!

But really, I don't think Whaley would've even came here in the first place without some type of assurance he would be succeeding Nix in the relatively near future.

The Bills are seemingly in better shape than the Browns are personnel-wise, so I think it'd be a long shot for him to leave now that the Bills have given him a solid foundation (on paper, yada, yada, yada).

The flip side is that he may be interested in making a name for himself and proving he can build a perennial contender on his own. There's risk involved with that, however, and at least IMO, I'd rather roll with the sure(-er) thing.

Reading the latest from John Clayton on the situations in Cleveland and Buffalo and when reviewing the possible ownership change in Cleveland, he says:

Love the optimism, but what has the front office done exactly? Lets play some football games before worrying about having a Bills front office raided.

Love the optimism, but what has the front office done exactly? Lets play some football games before worrying about having a Bills front office raided.

After Butler the front office was one disaster after another with a bunch of d coordnitaors for coaches who failed to win, and collectively squandered draft pick after draft pick. The notion of ambivalence toward dismantling the current regime that has assembled an outstanding roster and completely turned the team around in three years is surprising.

It is surprising any self proclaimed bills fan would not prefer to continue the current path to see what develops while enjoying the fact that the bills are fun to watch again for the first time in decades. This is what remaining a fan through the bad years is for. Being there when the orner is turned.

1.) The Browns FO is finally on the right track, why would the make a change now?

2.) Whaley may know of the minority owner of the Steelers that lives in Knocksville. He may not.

3.) The Bills are on the right path why would Whaley jump ship early? He will be a much hotter commodity if he helps turn it into a winner.

4.) Nix is old. Clearly Whaley is being groomed to take over.

Nothing to see here

After Butler the front office was one disaster after another with a bunch of d coordnitaors for coaches who failed to win, and collectively squandered draft pick after draft pick. The notion of ambivalence toward dismantling the current regime that has assembled an outstanding roster and completely turned the team around in three years is surprising.

It is surprising any self proclaimed bills fan would not prefer to continue the current path to see what develops while enjoying the fact that the bills are fun to watch again for the first time in decades. This is what remaining a fan through the bad years is for. Being there when the corner is turned.

I'm excited about seeing the corner turned. I think that's why they play the games and I pay to go. Some people think Gailey's coaching sucked for the last half of the season. So I temper my optimism about things like training camp hype, etc. I enjoy the game not blind optimism thinking the other 31 teams haven't got front offices GM's etc. that are ripe for raiding. Many are winning people that have won championships, etc. Many of those teams have also got better on paper.

As for fun too watch did you catch the last 9 games we played last season? They were not fun too watch. What games have been played since?

Maybe I'm just more results oriented.Certainly, before shooting my mouth off about losing office staff that won 10 games in 2 seasons. There's some good people here now. Let's see if the hype match win totals. I think it will be a 10+ win year.

Flame Away!

It is surprising any self proclaimed bills fan would not prefer to continue the current path to see what develops while enjoying the fact that the bills are fun to watch again for the first time in decades. This is what remaining a fan through the bad years is for. Being there when the orner is turned.

+1 also i like your name, i had a similar idea for mine "over 6 inches of manhood" but it just didnt feel right.

Im not that worried as I BILLieve Whaley would give the franchise the same respect/solidarity we have seen from the players (such as Stevie signing without testing FA). I also think staying in Buffalo where he already has "his guys" is much more attractive than going to Cleveland and hoping he gets the support needed to re-build a franchise.

BUT! Anything is possible. And Whaley is a known, hot up-and-comer who will be at the top of every/anyone's short list of GM prospects.

It's a good problem to have for us Bills fans. Front Office staff that is coveted by the rest of the league. But every time I hear about a possible front office shake up somewhere, I get concerned. If the Bills arent careful, big money and the right situation could lure him away.

Browns sold today ... apparently

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/08/02/browns-sale.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

I don't see Cleveland gutting their front office at this point in the season to poach Whaley from us. The season is a month away from starting. If come next off season Whaley is getting offered GM jobs I have to think that they would just give him the job here to keep him and just keep Nix as the head of scouting. I have to think that if it came down to Nix or Whaley they would keep Whaley and Nix would be the one that would rather take a lesser position in the organization due to his age.

Per PFT, Now we’ll wait for confirmation of former Eagles president Joe Banner’s involvement with the new ownership group and some idea of what the ownership change might mean for the regime running the Browns right now. There’s not much chance that General Manager Tom Heckert or coach Pat Shurmur will be going anywhere anytime soon, but team president Mike Holmgren’s future with the team is much less clear.

What I worry about is if someone paid 1 billion for 70% of the browns, how much is 100% of the bills going for. Knowing the type of market in WNY the buyer would have to work with, will a local buyer have those types of resources to make the team work in this area.