Band you've listened to most often

Someone asked me this and it was funny, so obviously Metallica the others weren't even close. They have one heck of a body of work, love the heavily distorted guitars, super tight rhythms and killer production. I think what's most under appreciated is their abolity to turn a story into a song (for whom the bell tolls, one, creeping death).

Some of the distant 2nd would be led zeppelin as a staple of rock and metal, early van halen (sorry Hagar not welcome), Megadeth (Dave mustaine super talented) and GnR. Also went thru a rap period listened to a lot of early JZ and Biggie. Loved it while driving but dont have car anymore

Be interested what others have to say.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genesis, The Beatles, ELP, Yes, Chicago, The Dead....all time....

lately? The Walkmen

Someone asked me this and it was funny, so obviously Metallica the others weren't even close. They have one heck of a body of work, love the heavily distorted guitars, super tight rhythms and killer production. I think what's most under appreciated is their abolity to turn a story into a song (for whom the bell tolls, one, creeping death).

Some of the distant 2nd would be led zeppelin as a staple of rock and metal, early van halen (sorry Hagar not welcome), Megadeth (Dave mustaine super talented) and GnR. Also went thru a rap period listened to a lot of early JZ and Biggie. Loved it while driving but dont have car anymore

If artists count, too, then Garth Brooks, George Strait, Johnny Cash, or Willie Nelson.

If just bands, the Who, Linkin Park, 30STM, Little Texas, Pop Evil, and Angels and Airwaves.

Female artist, Martina McBride. Group, Dixie Chicks.

If artists count, too, then Garth Brooks, George Strait, Johnny Cash, or Willie Nelson.

If just bands, the Who, Linkin Park, 30STM, Little Texas, Pop Evil, and Angels and Airwaves.

Female artist, Martina McBride. Group, Dixie Chicks.

You unpatriotic BASTARD! :nana:

Def Leppard, Metallica, Tantric when I was in my late teens to early 20's. Lately Dierks Bentley, Zac Brown Band, Allison Kraus and Union Station. I still get the smattering of Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, GNR, Queensryche, Def Leppard, Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden,etc when I am at work or the gym.

The past 40 years - The Allman Brothers

The past few years - The Allman Brothers, The Dead, Umphrey's McGee, moe.

I actually prefer a genre so I'll load up my favorite band in Pandora and see what it comes up with. I've been digging the Ry Cooder station lately.

If we're talking recently, the band I've listened to most is GnR. I finally found headphones that made my GnR Live album sound absolutely amazing...speakers never quite got me there for some reason...might be the way it was recorded, I dunno. But my Grado PS500 headphones and Meier Audio amp allow this album to really shine. :thumbsup:

The artist I listen to most is Amos Lee.

The Rolling Stones, The Gaslight Anthem, Queen, Warren Zevon, Passenger, Barenaked Ladies, the artists involved with N.W.A.

Edit: just looked at my iTunes top 25 most played and must add Springsteen as a result.

Edited by LeviF91

My pick for iconic Metallic song is "For Whom the Bell Tolls", Hemingway's Spanish civil war novel.

Demonstrates their signature heavy and tight sound, skill at turning a story/novel into a song, and creative touches with the distorted bass solo intro (R.I.P. Cliff Burton.) Overall captures the chill and absurdity of war, highlighted with the reference to the book where where 5 men on a hill hold off a bunch of faschist troops until they're bombed by planes. In the book the soldiers had questioned the meaning and purpose of defending that hill.

Make his fight on the hill in the early day

Constant chill deep inside

Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey

On the fight, for they are right, yes, by who's to say?

For a hill men would kill, why? They do not know

Stiffened wounds test there their pride

Men of five, still alive through the raging glow

Gone insane from the pain that they surely know

For whom the bell tolls

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Guided By Voices is number one by a mile

Throw in Husker Du, Pontiac Brothers, Yo La Tengo, Black Flag, The Cramps and Minutemen.

My pick for iconic Metallic song is "For Whom the Bell Tolls", Hemingway's Spanish civil war novel.

Demonstrates their signature heavy and tight sound, skill at turning a story/novel into a song, and creative touches with the distorted bass solo intro (R.I.P. Cliff Burton.) Overall captures the chill and absurdity of war, highlighted with the reference to the book where where 5 men on a hill hold off a bunch of faschist troops until they're bombed by planes. In the book the soldiers had questioned the meaning and purpose of defending that hill.

Make his fight on the hill in the early day

Constant chill deep inside

Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey

On the fight, for they are right, yes, by who's to say?

For a hill men would kill, why? They do not know

Stiffened wounds test there their pride

Men of five, still alive through the raging glow

Gone insane from the pain that they surely know

For whom the bell tolls

youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

+1X10^100

James Hetfield and Co. have produced a collection of lyrics that rivals any band in history, IMO of course. GREATEST. BAND. EVER. I've listened to Metallica far and away more than any other. Pink Floyd,Janes Addiction, Alice In Chains, and AC/DC round out my top five most listened too.

I've been pretty into Primus lately though - Psychadellic-Heavy Metal-Funk-with a touch of Blues here and there, and hilarious lyrics.

All time its Jane's Addiction given that I started listening to them in 1988 and they've maintained a spot in my play list ever since.

In the past decade it's easily Dream Theater as Jane's last few offerings are lacking and DT keeps pumping out fantastic music (and my 8 year old's favorite band is DT and when I ask what he wants to listen to his answer is usually DT.)

I'm surprised at how many DT fans are on this forum - nice to see.

All time its Jane's Addiction given that I started listening to them in 1988 and they've maintained a spot in my play list ever since.

In the past decade it's easily Dream Theater as Jane's last few offerings are lacking and DT keeps pumping out fantastic music (and my 8 year old's favorite band is DT and when I ask what he wants to listen to his answer is usually DT.)

I'm surprised at how many DT fans are on this forum - nice to see.

I've been a DT fan since I&W came out. That said, I think they peaked with Scenes from a Memory and I haven't been quite as enthralled with their albums since then. I haven't listened to any songs from the newest album (aside from the one that was nominated for a Grammy, and while I thought it was ok, I didn't think it was great).

That said, they still have a ton of great albums that I love listening to.