Cleveland Browns up for sale

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad9ba4/article/cleveland-browns-owner-lerner-confirms-investor-negotiations

It says in the article that the Browns will stay in Cleveland.. but I wonder if there's a possibility that they end up being the team that moves to LA.

Man, I just don't see the NFL letting that team move yet again.

Man, I just don't see the NFL letting that team move yet again.

i agree, no way does that city again, lose its franchise. i think it is a simply a guy who wants to sell and have hopefully, provisions in the deal assuring the team cannot move. i know anything can happen, but if the NFL does not look upon tradition over money grabs and "the L A market" the league will eventually implode. the game is slowly turning into just another form of pop culture instead of the traditional game.

More details from the Cleveland paper, including the unconditional guarantee that they wouldn't move: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/07/cleveland_browns_owner_randy_l_3.html

Also, the city just approved 5million + in maintenance for the stadium in the winter, beyond the half million they fund every year. Now the sin tax that funded the stadium and maintenance is expiring in the next few years. I don't know if Lerner felt it wasn't going to be a great deal moving forward (the Browns have a real sweetheart deal with the city-owned stadium) and he wanted to extract his stake before that tax ended. He was criticized in Ohio for being too removed from the team, not really a fan (like Trent Edwards, I guess.)

The Browns would go nowhere, and if they did, they would have another team back in town with the same name within a short period of time. Despite having almost as bad of a playoff drought as our Bills, Cleveland still manages to sell out every home game with little problem. Cleveland is a football city, and The Browns are a cash cow annually.

Edited by West End Stench

The Browns would go nowhere, and if they did, they would have another team back in town with the same name within a short period of time. Despite having almost as bad of a playoff drought as our Bills, Cleveland still manages to sell out every home game with little problem. Cleveland is a football city, and The Browns are a cash cow annually.

The Browns lost 3 million last year, which takes a lot of work to do in the NFL. Other than that, they have seen a significant dropoff in operative margin the past 5 years. According to Forbes, they struggle to fill their suites and attendance is down 10% the past 2 years despite the lowest average ticket prices in the league. The Bills destroy the Browns when it comes to making coin.

But no team is moving to LA unless the team's owner agrees to sella significant chunk of the team to his lnadlord in LA. Until an owner does that, there will be no stadium in LA.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I live in Youngstown, about an hour away from Cleveland. Moved here from Buffalo in 1989, and was here for the first move. It was a public relations disaster for the NFL, and I believe that it had a fairly significant impact on the NFL financially, because not only did fans withdraw their support, but also regional and some national advertisers boycotted the NFL for a while afterwards. I doubt that it had any serious financial impact, but I think the NFL learned a lesson from it. None of the media here are bringing up the possibility of a move. Most of the talk is about potential new owner(s), but that the team will stay in Cleveland. Most of the Browns fans here in Ytown are still pretty negative about the team, although they liked this years' draft. The bloom has definitely worn off on Holmgren, and most fans think the coaches and GM are incompetent. Of course, that will change if they manage to win a significant amount of games.

If they were to go like 7-9, the fans would be back again.

Bet this is why Joe Banner resigned.

Great point and he would be reunited with Browns' gm Tom Heckert. First thing I thought when I saw the sale announcement is what happens to Holmgren? Figuring he will be gone.

Lerner is a fan of the Browns. Not sure what has changed with him but last year he got a house in the Cleve area and planned for his son to go to school there. He was never comfortable with the spotlight though and may have tired of it.

Feel bad for this franchise, in many ways they're repeating our path with all the front office turnover. Almost certainly they won't have a good team this year but I've liked Heckert's draft picks and there is some decent talent on the team.

Never been impressed with Holmgren with the Browns. Haven't heard much good about him as a person, and really disagreed with his decision to fire Mangini before last year. Mangini was a rigid coach and more than one player didn't like that but I felt he had a strong team one decent draft away from the playoffs. I think if Holmgren had borrowed a page from Accorsi's dealings with Coughlin things would be very positively different in Cleveland right now.

Edited by GaryPinC