Bills Want To Scrimmage Other Teams

My link

"We sure would," Gailey said. "Not this year. I mentioned it to a couple of coaches at the owners meeting this year just to get some feedback on who might like to do it and who might not like to do it. We will see if time goes forward how we want to handle that."

Edited by Astrobot

I sweem to remember doing this with the Browns quite a bit a few years back, correct?

Yep, for a long time we'd go to Cleveland or they'd come up and we'd do some scrimmaging.

I am betting we are looking at the Browns or Eagles. I don't think it'd be the Steelers. If not for Shanahan I would almost wonder about the Skins, too.

Yep, for a long time we'd go to Cleveland or they'd come up and we'd do some scrimmaging.

I am betting we are looking at the Browns or Eagles. I don't think it'd be the Steelers. If not for Shanahan I would almost wonder about the Skins, too.

thanks farmer...thats what I thought I remembered, it makes sense...get some live hitting/game situations against someone ELSE, get to beat on someone else...pre-pre-season...I like it...

It's not quite like a preseason game--- I don't think there are typically kickoffs/punts or returns(?), for instance. The two teams recreate game conditions and situations, but if I'm not mistaken they also run goal line and redzone drills. Whether or not they run joint drills may have come from specific agreements with other teams, I guess.

I think the Bills have scrimmaged against the Browns, Jets and Steelers at different times in the past 25 or so years.

yea its not like actual game, no game clock etc...usually each team gets offensive sets and defensives sets, then red zone/goal line situations...literally just done to get into playing against someone else, break up monotony, try **** out...all for it and wish it was happening this year

IIRC, the Bills stopped scrimmaging with other teams when DJ took over...

I remember, when I first moved to Austin, the Dallas Cowboys used to have their training camp, literally, about a 15 minute walk from my apartment, at St Edwards University. I realize, it was the Cowboys, who I loathe, but it was always fun to watch them scrimmage against the Raiders. Lots of fights, the two teams did not like eachother...Raiders would come here one weekend, then the Cowboys would go to the Raiders camp the next weekend..then they would normally play in their first pre-season game...granted, the Cowboys were loaded then, but when you watched their inner-squad scrimmages, you never realized how talented they were...but against the Raiders, everything got amped up...I think it is good for the teams.

I have never heard of this before. Is it different from preseason games or is it basically the same?

A lot do it - basically a joint practice. The saints have done it with the texans and pats the last few years, typically culminating with the preseason game at the end of the week.

I went to an Iggles/Bills scrimmage in Leigh, PA. John Butler was the GM then. Doug Flatus was on the team then and Ethan Albright was still the LS.

It was a good time - albeit the place was crawling with Iggles fans.

Controlled scrimmages are a tremendous opportunity for coaches to learn about their squads. Everything is scripted and the guys benefit from pounding the clown on the other side of the line that isn't wearing the same color helmet.

I'm all in favor of having them, every year.

I sweem to remember doing this with the Browns quite a bit a few years back, correct?

I took my (then 8 year-old?) son to a Browns/Bills scrimmage near Erie, PA a while back.

He's about to turn 19 this week, so I'm guessing that was ~11 years ago.

It's a lot more fun to watch than a regular training camp for sure. Mostly the team vs. team practices were the most interesting - the actual scrimmage "game" was just so-so.

I have never heard of this before. Is it different from preseason games or is it basically the same?

Its just a practice against fresh meet... they do 7 on 7s and some other drills...no scout teams we run our playbook and they run theirs. Gives the players somebody different to run into other than themselves.

Last one I remember was the scrimmage the Bills had against the Packers in Lambeau Field.

Roscoe Parrish was a rookie and it was televised on NFL Network.

IIRC, it was a sold out event.

It was part of the 'family night' festivities at Lambeau back in 2005, and so successful that the Bills were high on making it an annual event with GB even back then, but the Packers declined because they didn't want an arrangement where they'd have to come to Buffalo in alternate years.

I took my (then 8 year-old?) son to a Browns/Bills scrimmage near Erie, PA a while back.

He's about to turn 19 this week, so I'm guessing that was ~11 years ago.

It's a lot more fun to watch than a regular training camp for sure. Mostly the team vs. team practices were the most interesting - the actual scrimmage "game" was just so-so.

You saw a scrimmage at Edinboro University about 15 miles south of Erie. About equal distance for both the Bills & the Browns. I think they had a few scrimmages against each other there.