Ichiro - First ballot Hall-of-Famer?

Heels20X6

yes, to consistently hit significantly northward of .300 and 200 hits is a golden ticket to Cooperstown. He belongs there...in a yankee uni no less :devil:

Office argument raging out of control...

Is Ichiro Suzuki a first ballot hall-of-fame inductee?

GO!

Office argument raging out of control...

Is Ichiro Suzuki a first ballot hall-of-fame inductee?

GO!

I can't settle the argument, but I believe Ichiro will go in on the first ballot. Outside Seattle, it's hard to think of a more under-appreciated talent than Ichiro. If he'd played in a "baseball town" (sorry, Seattle, we love you, but it's a baseball outpost), he could have been the decade's most popular player.

Superior hitting, excellent defender, feared base-runner and could outwork anyone on the field. If he'd been on more winning teams, I doubt anyone would deny Ichiro is a first-ballot hall-of-famer.

Edited by Max Fischer

No doubter he will be first ballot. What is the argument against that happening? I can't think of a reason to keep him out. He is at 2500 hits after a 12 year career - that's an average of over 200 hits a year, including a high of 262 which is obscene! The standard in baseball I believe is a 10 year career and to be one of the best of your era's. He clearly was and is that! He won an mvp and rookie of the year, all star game mvp, has led the league in hits multiple times as well as leading in batting average and steals on different occasions, is a 10 time all star, a 10 time gold glover, add it to all he did in Japan and I don't see an argument against him.

Do tell what is the argument against it?

Monument Park where? Surely not the one in Yankee Stadium.

Indeed. I was just checking out the llist of great Yankees enshrined there, looks like it's harder to get in there than the HOF, so many great names missing. Matsui won't make it there either.

I don't follow baseball anymore, but strangely was looking up Ichiro's stats like 2 days ago. I saw his name in some article and was shocked that he was still playing, so looked him up. Based on the stats I saw and the fact that he is probably the most successful cross-over Japanese player, I would vote first-team HOF.

He's definitely a HOFer (I hate the 1st ballot thing - the guy is or he isn't). He has a lifetime WAR of 54.7. In comparison, Dave Winfield's was 59.4 and because I hate the Yankees, you should know that Robin Yount's was 72.4. Now, Ichiro's lifetime OPS+ is only 113 (Yount 115, Winfield 130) but if he can get to 3k hits, it's a slam-dunk. I'd vote for him but I don't get a vote (though I'm quite sure I understand the game much better than a few that do).

He's definitely a HOFer (I hate the 1st ballot thing - the guy is or he isn't). He has a lifetime WAR of 54.7. In comparison, Dave Winfield's was 59.4 and because I hate the Yankees, you should know that Robin Yount's was 72.4. Now, Ichiro's lifetime OPS+ is only 113 (Yount 115, Winfield 130) but if he can get to 3k hits, it's a slam-dunk. I'd vote for him but I don't get a vote (though I'm quite sure I understand the game much better than a few that do).

How is Robin Yount's career counter to the Yankees?

How is Robin Yount's career counter to the Yankees?

I have to explain this? It was counter to Winfield, who played on the Yankees for 9 years and had quite a bit of success there. I picked Winfield and Yount because they are both HOFer with 3k+ hits and were sound defensively (like Ichiro). I'm quite sure I could find multiple Yankees fans (not named Steinbrenner) that would tell me that Dave Winfield was a far superior player. (I remember a guy telling me that Roger Maris deserved enshrinement in Cooperstown. Even when I showed that his career stats were comparable to Greg Freaking Luzinski he kept going on.) Now I just smile politely when Yanks fans talk about the HOF (especially those not from the tri-state area).

Y'know, except on the internet. ;)

OK..I'll bite...I consider myself a pretty big baseball fan, and I could look it up but I'm being lazy...what is WAR?

WAR is a metric that looks at Wins Above Replacement. It shows how many more wins that player adds over a replacement player at that position.

Many of these advanced metrics like WAR are standard baseball analysis these days which clubs use to objectively evaluate players.

Ichiro is an automatic 1st ballot. That's not my opinion, just fact.

I like how there is lot of objectivity given to overly aggressive defensive shifts these days. That's the new "moneyball" that is occurring on the defensive side this year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I have to explain this? It was counter to Winfield, who played on the Yankees for 9 years and had quite a bit of success there. I picked Winfield and Yount because they are both HOFer with 3k+ hits and were sound defensively (like Ichiro). I'm quite sure I could find multiple Yankees fans (not named Steinbrenner) that would tell me that Dave Winfield was a far superior player. (I remember a guy telling me that Roger Maris deserved enshrinement in Cooperstown. Even when I showed that his career stats were comparable to Greg Freaking Luzinski he kept going on.) Now I just smile politely when Yanks fans talk about the HOF (especially those not from the tri-state area).

Y'know, except on the internet. ;)

Oh, sorry, I know about both of their careers but they were before my time.

WAR is a metric that looks at Wins Above Replacement. It shows how many more wins that player adds over a replacement player at that position.

Many of these advanced metrics like WAR are standard baseball analysis these days which clubs use to objectively evaluate players.

Ichiro is an automatic 1st ballot. That's not my opinion, just fact.

I like how there is lot of objectivity given to overly aggressive defensive shifts these days. That's the new "moneyball" that is occurring on the defensive side this year.

You're right but it's an opinion of opinions. I remember reading a few years ago about a BBWAA member not voting for Rickey Henderson on the first ballot because "I never vote for anyone on the first ballot". Really? Just look at this. Dude led the AL in walks at age 39. 39!

Also, there's no such thing as 'objectivity'. It's like 'perfection'. It's a noble pursuit but an unreachable destination.

Oh, sorry, I know about both of their careers but they were before my time.

No need to be sorry. I missed the Koufax, Drysdale & Gibson in '68. We can't choose when/where we're born. But now I'm thinking how we're thrust into our teams/religion like in the OSU tie thread. No need to re-hash that.

:D

...those that can't play, write about it....what a crapload of a statement..while not all superstars are first ballot worthy, but there certainly are a good deal that are, and rickey henderson was one of the most feared players around...at one point he had the most lead off hr's in mlb history, steals leader in mlb, hit for ridiculous average, and defensively could get to any ball hit...

You're right but it's an opinion of opinions. I remember reading a few years ago about a BBWAA member not voting for Rickey Henderson on the first ballot because "I never vote for anyone on the first ballot". Really? Just look at this. Dude led the AL in walks at age 39. 39!

Also, there's no such thing as 'objectivity'. It's like 'perfection'. It's a noble pursuit but an unreachable destination.

No need to be sorry. I missed the Koufax, Drysdale & Gibson in '68. We can't choose when/where we're born. But now I'm thinking how we're thrust into our teams/religion like in the OSU tie thread. No need to re-hash that.

:D