Who did SI rate as having the best 2012 offseason??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great.

What's the trophy for "best offseason" again? 'Cause I know it's not the Lombardi.

How many times have the Redskins been given the grade of best offseasons. While I am excited about the moves made in the offseason I have to see it begin to manifest its self on the field first.

I think the Bills grade is correct, but will someone please explain how New England gets a B-plus? The players mentioned are, Joseph Addai, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Donte' Stallworth, Will Allen and Andre Carter. The only guy under 30 is Addai. Go to Pats roster click on each of these guys and look at their past production and ages. How was this a great off season for them?

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster.html

They're just mentioning free agency moves. The Patriots did exactly what they should have done in the draft in taking defensive players with the first 6 picks in the draft. 3 are likely to be day 1 starters with the possibility of 4. Their defense was one of the worst in the NFL last year, so I get the grade. None the less, I agree with you about free agency. Not too much exciting.

I don't see where the Pats have really added all that much in the offseason. The only players of any consequence are WR B. Lloyd and their two top draft picks (DE/LB).

Their offense gains Lloyd, but loses its best RB (Green-Ellis), starting LT M. Light, and Ocho (who wasn't very good last year). I have to wonder what type of running game they are going to have this year. I don't expect much from Addai, who is older now and very injury prone.

Their defense was not good at all last year and the only really improvements they've made are the two rookies that I mentioned. It'll be interesting to see what kind of immediate impact they can both make.

I think the Bills have really closed the gap on them. IMHO, our defense will be better than there's this year. The biggest difference on offense is that they have Brady and we have Fitzpatrick. Fitz doesn't have to match Brady's numbers, but he does need to play at least close to the way that he played during the first seven games of last season. If he does then I think the Bills will be something to reckon with.

You people with the "let's see it on the field" responses and "paper tigers", give it a rest already. Anyone who can't see this has been a gigantic off-season is just too jaded to reason with.....

Yeah! "You people" who are so wrapped up with "on field performance" that you can't appreciate how awesome the offseason has turned out. 12 years without a playoff appearance has totally "jaded" you to only thinking of "hopefully winning more games than last year". You cannot accept "reason" if you can't see that the offseason can, in and of itself, be gigantic--no matter what!

They're just mentioning free agency moves. The Patriots did exactly what they should have done in the draft in taking defensive players with the first 6 picks in the draft. 3 are likely to be day 1 starters with the possibility of 4. Their defense was one of the worst in the NFL last year, so I get the grade. None the less, I agree with you about free agency. Not too much exciting.

So who are the three starters?

So who are the three starters?

This could change of course, but this is what I think will happen. Chandler Jones is already taking all the first team reps in what we've seen of the camps so far. Pencil him in right now as the day 1 starter. Rob Ninkovich is listed as the SLB on the depth chart, but I don't believe he holds on over Dont'a Hightower. He was the second first round pick of the Patriots and if he's not starting day 1, he will be and very quickly. Far more talent than anyone else they have on their roster at that position. Mayo and Spikes will of course play the other two LB positions. The third starter I guess I should really qualify as a situational starter. I believe you'll see hybrid CB/FS Tavon Wilson on the field in Nickel and Dime depending on what the opposing offenses are doing. I've watched a lot of Big-Ten football and that kid played great against much better teams. Similar to Mercilus. Many had him the 3rd or 4th best DE in the draft. I think he's going to be something special for Houston and could turn out to be the best at his position. Take it or leave it, that's my two cents. The Patriots always seem to find gems later in drafts that turn into starters. Ridley, Gronkowski, and Chung are just some recent examples.

well this is about the "offseason" not the season, so we did have a great "offseason"

lets compare to what we had done going into the 2009 season....

1. walking dead dick jauron still as coach attempting mission 7-9 for the 4th time.

2. witner was still our safety

3. turdwards was still our qb

4. one good pass rusher, schobel

5. drafted maybin!

6. Hardy and mckelvin starting there second unimpressive years

7. two rookie guards and rookie left tackle

8. lost peters

9. lynch suspension

10.and the biggest piece of fools gold ever, T.O.! who kept SJ on the bench an extra year

now thats a crap offseason! If you cant see the diference between that pile of crap that went 6-10 and what we have got going this year...go home!

Edited by loserlovers

This could change of course, but this is what I think will happen. Chandler Jones is already taking all the first team reps in what we've seen of the camps so far. Pencil him in right now as the day 1 starter. Rob Ninkovich is listed as the SLB on the depth chart, but I don't believe he holds on over Dont'a Hightower. He was the second first round pick of the Patriots and if he's not starting day 1, he will be and very quickly. Far more talent than anyone else they have on their roster at that position. Mayo and Spikes will of course play the other two LB positions. The third starter I guess I should really qualify as a situational starter. I believe you'll see hybrid CB/FS Tavon Wilson on the field in Nickel and Dime depending on what the opposing offenses are doing. I've watched a lot of Big-Ten football and that kid played great against much better teams. Similar to Mercilus. Many had him the 3rd or 4th best DE in the draft. I think he's going to be something special for Houston and could turn out to be the best at his position. Take it or leave it, that's my two cents. The Patriots always seem to find gems later in drafts that turn into starters. Ridley, Gronkowski, and Chung are just some recent examples.

Chung and Gronk were 2nd rounders and what the hell has ridley done?

Chung and Gronk were 2nd rounders and what the hell has ridley done?

He has had some starts. Regardless, if you don't like 2nd rounders, then let's look at 3rd rounders that have been starters. Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kuczar, HOF Curtis Martin, Teddy Bruschi, Todd Collins, Brandon Tate, Greg Spires. That's guys just in the last 10 years. The point is that these guys contributed as starters. Not everyone drafted later are HOF material like Martin, but it doesn't matter with the Patriots.

He has had some starts. Regardless, if you don't like 2nd rounders, then let's look at 3rd rounders that have been starters. Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kuczar, HOF Curtis Martin, Teddy Bruschi, Todd Collins, Brandon Tate, Greg Spires. That's guys just in the last 10 years. The point is that these guys contributed as starters. Not everyone drafted later are HOF material like Martin, but it doesn't matter with the Patriots.

If you don't find 3rd rounders who become starters, you're not going to be a very successful football team.

Can everyone simply admit the obvious -- that the Pats* run of excellence is primarily the result of two things: the dumb-luck discovery of Tom Brady, and the fact Belichick is a top-notch defensive coach and strategist. They have not drafted particularly well, especially recently.

Take Brady out of the equation, and you've got Belichick in Cleveland.

And so it goes with finding a HOF quarterback.

Yet another thread about our great off season... not that I disagree or am not excited but ugh, getting sick of only having the same thing to talk about. We can only argue our points and dissect stories in so many different ways before we start loosing our minds.

Yeah! "You people" who are so wrapped up with "on field performance" that you can't appreciate how awesome the offseason has turned out. 12 years without a playoff appearance has totally "jaded" you to only thinking of "hopefully winning more games than last year". You cannot accept "reason" if you can't see that the offseason can, in and of itself, be gigantic--no matter what!

Let's just try and enjoy some good news for the first time in about 12 years. There has been enough misery in this organization to last a lifetime.....

If you don't find 3rd rounders who become starters, you're not going to be a very successful football team.

Can everyone simply admit the obvious -- that the Pats* run of excellence is primarily the result of two things: the dumb-luck discovery of Tom Brady, and the fact Belichick is a top-notch defensive coach and strategist. They have not drafted particularly well, especially recently.

Take Brady out of the equation, and you've got Belichick in Cleveland.

And so it goes with finding a HOF quarterback.

Consider this:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2012/04/new_england_patriots_best_clev.html

We've struggled to find actual starters in the 3rd and 2nd rounds (Byrd the exclusion).

Let's just try and enjoy some good news for the first time in about 12 years. There has been enough misery in this organization to last a lifetime.....

I understand your sentiment.

Yet another thread about our great off season... not that I disagree or am not excited but ugh, getting sick of only having the same thing to talk about. We can only argue our points and dissect stories in so many different ways before we start loosing our minds.

like it or go suck it