the 4 keys to the season (all start with "M")

vote for as many as you want  

29 members have voted

1. 1. who do you think will make a difference

• return (arrival) of M.easley
    • return of Merriman
    • return of the Mc..."you know that id be back, here i am.."
    • the play of Mcordy Glenn (see what i did there, hehe)

i am excited to see the new pass rushers, SJ and FJ come back healthy, Fitz etc...but the real xfactors this year will be these four...

1. M.Easely... he may be like SJ a talent waiting to happen. he had flashes of talent and drops so if hes actually good he has the size and speed to be a true number 2...like SJ :-)

2. Merriman, if hes back...hes good. nuff said

3. McGee, i really miss him, its like he got hurt three years ago and i always expected him back but he never came back...not really. If only he could play out a season, hes still a good corner and corners can play 12 years or so so im really rooting for our only real old timer (kickers dont count). Maybe he comes back and plays 3 more years as a starter!

4. McCordy Glenn. Face it, with all this talk about Fitz, the number 2 wr, the new D etc, what does it matter if this guy doesnt come through? unlike past regimes where we relied on 3-4 rookies, this year we really only have to rely on one, unfortunately its a left tackle.

Edited by loserlovers

I think it's pretty easy to say that McOrty Glenn is the biggest difference-maker among those 4 players you listed... the talent level behind McGee has been fortified substantially by Williams, Gilmore, Rogers and Brooks, and McKelvin is starting-quality too. Marriman is now the 3rd best pass rusher on the defense (4th or 5th if Kyle and Marcel get singled for clean looks at qb now), so if he does nothing, we're still doing alright. Easley is among a handful of players who can either claim the #2wr spot or slide all the way to #6 and off the roster. Glenn, though, will probably be given the LT job if he even ties Hairston, so his ability to get it done on sundays will effect this team the most among these 4.

i am excited to see the new pass rushers, SJ and FJ come back healthy, Fitz etc...but the real xfactors this year will be these four...

1. M.Easely... he may be like SJ a talent waiting to happen. he had flashes of talent and drops so if hes actually good he has the size and speed to be a true number 2...like SJ :-)

3. McGee, i really miss him, its like he got hurt three years ago and i always expected him back but he never came back...not really. If only he could play out a season, hes still a good corner and corners can play 12 years or so so im really rooting for our only real old timer (kickers dont count). Maybe he comes back and plays 3 more years as a starter!

4. Cordy Glenn. Face it, with all this talk about Fitz, the number 2 wr, the new D etc, what does it matter if this guy doesnt come through? unlike past regimes where we relied on 3-4 rookies, this year we really only have to rely on one, unfortunately its a left tackle.

Actually the real xfactor this year..Fitz..the team will go as he goes. The defense is in place, so it's on Fitz to make it happen.

How about these three X Factors - all starting with "F":

1. Fitz. Will he play like the first 7 games of last year? Will Coach Lee improve his mechanics?

2. FredEx. Is he fully recovered? Will he regain his form? Can he put together a Pro Bowl season?

3. Front Four. Will our new D Line live up to expectations? Will they both stop the run and harrass quarterbacks?

I like the three "F" factors even better than the four "M" factors mentioned.

Fitz and Jax along with SJ and Spill are the difference makers on offense. CG will obviously have a big effect upon the passing game and running game as well. Let's hope he's ready to contribute.

The front four on defense (I'd like to propose the front five because Merriman belongs in that group) should be stellar this year and should make it easier for the LBs and secondary to do their jobs well.

I expect a really big year from Dareus and MWill that will result in them making the Pro Bowl this year.

The wildcard is Merriman. If he is 100% and can stay 100% for most of the season our defense is going to be very exciting to watch. It almost reminds me of the days when we had B. Smith/B. Paup/D. Talley/P. Hansen/C. Bennett all on the same side of the LOS. They wreaked havoc on the opposing QB like you wouldn't believe in those days.

Instead of those guys we'll have MWill/M. Anderson/Dareus/KWill/Merriman. I think we could do much the same with this group.

As much as I dont expect it, I hope it's Merriman. I dont see any of the others having as big of an impact as a healthy, even 75% of what he used to be. I see them being solid across the board, barring any injuries, great D-line,D-backs,offense,(yeah line acceptable). But if Merriman can be added as a threat as a pass rusher, he could turn the defense into something special!

To quote Bart Scott - "CAN'T WAIT" :thumbsup:

How about these three X Factors - all starting with "F":

1. Fitz. Will he play like the first 7 games of last year? Will Coach Lee improve his mechanics?

2. FredEx. Is he fully recovered? Will he regain his form? Can he put together a Pro Bowl season?

3. Front Four. Will our new D Line live up to expectations? Will they both stop the run and harrass quarterbacks?

well you cant call everything an xfactor. We all know injury is a factor, so im sure fitz and fred will be better thn last year, but their play is not a ? mark. also we know all the dlineman are good, so not really "xfactors" either or else everything is an xfactor.

an xfactor is when something is "mostly" unknown.

I like the three "F" factors even better than the four "M" factors mentioned.

Fitz and Jax along with SJ and Spill are the difference makers on offense. CG will obviously have a big effect upon the passing game and running game as well. Let's hope he's ready to contribute.

The front four on defense (I'd like to propose the front five because Merriman belongs in that group) should be stellar this year and should make it easier for the LBs and secondary to do their jobs well.

ok but how are these guys Xfactors???, we know they are good and fully expect them to be good...and theyve been good already.

I'm not sure any of these are 'Keys to the season'. They seem more like 'x-factors'.

actually youre mostly right, except that Glenn is definitely a "key" and our number 2 wr is about 3/4ths of a key, merrimen is like half a key, only mcgee is mainly an xfactor but they did jetison Drayton and I think they wouldnt have done that if Mcgee wasnt being relied upon at least for the first 4 games or so til gilmore can get ready.

Sorry - the most important "M" on this team is the "Mike" LB Sheppard. If he stays healthy and plays well the defense will dominate. If he's hurt or underperforms they won't live up to the DL improvements.

Sheppard and Fitz are the two most important "unknowns" this season.

actually youre mostly right, except that Glenn is definitely a "key" and our number 2 wr is about 3/4ths of a key, merrimen is like half a key, only mcgee is mainly an xfactor but they did jetison Drayton and I think they wouldnt have done that if Mcgee wasnt being relied upon at least for the first 4 games or so til gilmore can get ready.

I don't believe Glenn is a key. If he performs then it will be fantastic, but I don't see him being a 'key' to this season.

You didn't say number 2 receiver. You said Easely. I'd agree that number 2 wide receiver is a 'key', but I fail to see how a player that has never played a down in the regular season and has never been a factor is a 'key' to the entire season.

Merriman, again, could be helpful or valuable pass rush depth, but hardly a 'key' to the season.

McGee is the only one of those I'd even consider a 'key'. When he's healthy, he's a very good, reliable corner. If he stays healthy, we'd have excellent secondary depth.

I think what you define as a 'key' is very different from my view that a 'key' to the season is something is *needed* to be successful.

I don't believe Glenn is a key. If he performs then it will be fantastic, but I don't see him being a 'key' to this season.

You didn't say number 2 receiver. You said Easely. I'd agree that number 2 wide receiver is a 'key', but I fail to see how a player that has never played a down in the regular season and has never been a factor is a 'key' to the entire season.

Merriman, again, could be helpful or valuable pass rush depth, but hardly a 'key' to the season.

McGee is the only one of those I'd even consider a 'key'. When he's healthy, he's a very good, reliable corner. If he stays healthy, we'd have excellent secondary depth.

I think what you define as a 'key' is very different from my view that a 'key' to the season is something is *needed* to be successful.

cool ...we totally disagree, haha. But i think the left tackle is important on any team and since ours is a rookie, he could be terrible which means an average hairston will play and leave a terrible pears at RT. so its pretty key that he plays well, we lost our starting left tackle you know.

Mcgee is good, but he has less chance of playing than Easley I think, and easly is really, the highest drafted reciever on this team. So it could be a key if hes actually good, he might be great and solve our "problem" at the #2 spot.

since mcgees been replaced, he would really just be a bonus like merriman, but i agree with you on merriman at least.

4. McCordy Glenn. Face it, with all this talk about Fitz, the number 2 wr, the new D etc, what does it matter if this guy doesnt come through? unlike past regimes where we relied on 3-4 rookies, this year we really only have to rely on one, unfortunately its a left tackle.

As much as I was a huge fan of Easely from the time we drafted him I am beginning to think he may be amongst the surprise cuts of the summer. So, I definitely do not count on him at all.

Who cannot love McGee ... but realistically he is not going to have an impact. The best news for our defensive backfield is Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore taking control. I like our younger players with McGee acting as an experienced teacher who hopefully makes the team.

That brings us down to two ... I think we're safe at LT with either Glenn or Harrison so that impact would not be as great as a healthy LIGHTS OUT returning in full force. This defense is going to be awesome ... any passing situation is going to be pure hell on the opposition!