Stephon Gilmore...not intelligent?

eball

i'm sick of people saying professional football players aren't intelligent. how did they get into college if they're so dumb?

well thats a silly question. They get into college on pure academics, an amazing S.A.T score and glowing recommendations from their teachers that say their scholastic ability is second to none of course :rolleyes:

Edited by LVBillsBackr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we saw with the antics of players like Jim Kelly one does not have a need to be a rocket scientist to be a very good football player.

Add to this baseline fact that the Bills Daily (not perfect but as accurate as anyone about the draft crapshoot >

1) CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina 6-0 1/2, 190, 4.40 - Gilmore is a physical corner who can come up and stop the run like another safety in the box. He is a good mental player with great character and good ball skills to go along with his superior speed. Will likely step in and start from day one. Aggressive player in man coverage who has excellent awareness. Good as a blitzer off the edge. Has started since his freshman year and is very mature and experienced starting 40 games.

I think he sounds fine.

I remember reading he not only finished high school early but also was an honors/deans list student at South Carolina. (Which, granted, coming from an SEC school is a bit like being the tallest midget.)

Pretty sure he was SEC All-Academic at least one of his years and also carried about a 3.3 GPA thru his time at USC.

I could be wrong, if so feel free to refute.

The kid has it upstairs IMO. Moreso, i think he has the drive, the smarts, and the family influence to be truly great.

well thats a silly question. They get into college on pure academics, an amazing S.A.T score and glowing recommendations from their teachers that say their scholastic ability is second to none of course :rolleyes:

I think you also need some sort of congressional recommendation.

Seriously, the commentator didn't actually question his intelligence did he?

This whole topic seems like it's based on an assumption that there was an implication about his intelligence. The commentator might have meant something else.

And if you make assumptions, you make an ass out of you and… wait… what happened?

The commentator who was on with Vic Carucci was talking about the mental aspect of the game, specifically QBs...I was then shocked to hear him say Gilmore was a guy he thought should have been a "late first rounder," implying he doesn't think he has it upstairs.

Am I the only person here who's even remotely curious as to how this makes the OP think that a player is being called unintelligent? Sounds to me like the commentator was saying that he didn't feel Gilmore had the athletic intuition of a player drafted so highly - I don't get where "not intelligent" comes from.

After reading this, I went back and watched his first news conference again after becoming a Buffalo Bill. I thought he carried himself extremely well and was well spoken and confident. He answered questions clearly and concisely and carried himself extremely well. The same cannot be said for many players not only in the NFL but outside of sports as well. I have heard people in business, politicians and the like that cannot string two sentences together and sound like they did not make it past the third grade. Yet when you look at their background, they have graduated from some pretty prestigious schools of higher learning.

Its probably coming from his thick southern drawl and slow speech. That's unfortunate because one's intelligence should not be determined by that. I have not seen any other reports questioning his intelligence.

It may very well come from that. When I met him, he seemed somewhat shy and humble (of course, this was less than 24 hours after being drafted, so maybe he was overwhelmed by attention), and that also can be misinterpreted as a lack of intelligence.

My bet is he's just fine.

It may very well come from that. When I met him, he seemed somewhat shy and humble (of course, this was less than 24 hours after being drafted, so maybe he was overwhelmed by attention), and that also can be misinterpreted as a lack of intelligence.

My bet is he's just fine.

When i saw his reaction day one, i was not happy with his sour puss. So i have listened and read a fair amount of him.

Not only would i consider him intellegient but the young man wears very good character. He is going to become quite valuable to us.

I hope our WR's are ready for pads. Because A. Williams and Mr. Gilmore are physical guys +1. McGee helping them come up to speed is A plus for both kids.

This topic is a waste of time. He's not my accountant, my consultant in how to advance my business, or my engineer in R&D. He has played the game well for a long time, has a long track record, and I could care less if he knows what a prime number is from E=MC Hammer.

Can he cover like Revis? Hopefully he makes enough money because he kicked butt for us for a decade that he never works again. God bless.

Go Bills!

19-0!

Am I the only person here who's even remotely curious as to how this makes the OP think that a player is being called unintelligent? Sounds to me like the commentator was saying that he didn't feel Gilmore had the athletic intuition of a player drafted so highly - I don't get where "not intelligent" comes from.

It was obvious from the commentary...the guy was calling out high draft picks he didn't think had it "upstairs" to warrant their selection. Maybe intelligence is the wrong word? Anyway, it came out of nowhere and since I have not heard anything suggesting Gilmore can't handle the mental aspect of the game I started the topic to find out if I had missed something.

Apparently not.