Bucky Brooks: Buffalo's offense could be one of the most difficult

HOUSE

• By Bucky Brooks
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

Very nice find ! Thanks for sharing it.

Not a huge fan because he changes his outlook after one game, terrible :blink:

This is a nice piece because it isn't about feelings or outlook, but about how two successful runners are actually utilizing a different set of plays.

That means the opposing defense have to get down with preparing to defend double the plays.

The only downside I can see is if both backs aren't on the field at once, the DC can dial in "oh, it's Jackson, it'll be A or B or C" or "oh, it's Spiller, it'll be P or D or Q".- which can be even better if they're expecting A B or C and the Bills serve up P or Q. Surprise!

The other point is we may be enroute to a feature of the Bills teams of the '90s, where Kelly and Thomas have said "they knew what we were going to do, they just couldn't stop us, it worked anyway". Corey Mac is just a force coming across the backfield, even DLmen who are expecting him get more than they expect. BAM! Swamped, Boy!

If one football team can successfully impose their will on another, they win more often than not. It's that simple.

Very nice find ! Thanks for sharing it.

This is a nice piece because it isn't about feelings or outlook, but about how two successful runners are actually utilizing a different set of plays.

That means the opposing defense have to get down with preparing to defend double the plays.

The only downside I can see is if both backs aren't on the field at once, the DC can dial in "oh, it's Jackson, it'll be A or B or C" or "oh, it's Spiller, it'll be P or D or Q".- which can be even better if they're expecting A B or C and the Bills serve up P or Q. Surprise!

The other point is we may be enroute to a feature of the Bills teams of the '90s, where Kelly and Thomas have said "they knew what we were going to do, they just couldn't stop us, it worked anyway". Corey Mac is just a force coming across the backfield, even DLmen who are expecting him get more than they expect. BAM! Swamped, Boy!

If one football team can successfully impose their will on another, they win more often than not. It's that simple.

Cory McIntrye never received any credit for springing Spiller last year. Jackson was injured and Mac was the key on several plays

• [*] By Bucky Brooks[*]Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Conclusion

Gailey's decision to diversify the offensive workload has been met with skepticism, but I believe the Bills are more difficult to defend with both Jackson and Spiller playing key roles. If Gailey can work out the logistics to make sure both receive enough touches to make an impact, Buffalo's offense could become one of the league's most difficult to defend in 2012.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream#

This team is a tackle short of being primed for the no huddle offense. The ill advised foray into the no huddle a few years back was moronic at best. But if Glenn holds the fort as a LT, we will have a smart center, a quick decision making QB, versatile RBs (FJax and to a certain extent Spiller can block, run and catch) and young receivers (won't tire of the fast offense). I believe that if the OL can hold their blocks, we will start seeing much more of this as the season wears along.

BTW, a friendly note - you should not be cutting and pasting entire articles into your post. Simply a link with key highlights is appropriate

This team is a tackle short of being primed for the no huddle offense. The ill advised foray into the no huddle a few years back was moronic at best. But if Glenn holds the fort as a LT, we will have a smart center, a quick decision making QB, versatile RBs (FJax and to a certain extent Spiller can block, run and catch) and young receivers (won't tire of the fast offense). I believe that if the OL can hold their blocks, we will start seeing much more of this as the season wears along.

BTW, a friendly note - you should not be cutting and pasting entire articles into your post. Simply a link with key highlights is appropriate

Thanks for the advice, I am still new here.

Not really earth-shattering stuff. The offense was explosive before injuries took their toll and the AFC East defenses have shifted to a 4-3 because of it.

Considering the Bills are predicted as only a "possible" wild card team and the off season focus is on the defense, I believe this post is Earth Shattering.

Chan should institute a package sort of like the full house. You could have Steve out wide, a TE on the line, Spiller and Jackson in the backfield along with maybe Corey or another TE. You could do many things with that formation and group of players.

Maybe even put Nelson on the line as the TE since every announcer calls him a TE. :sick:

Chan should institute a package sort of like the full house. You could have Steve out wide, a TE on the line, Spiller and Jackson in the backfield along with maybe Corey or another TE. You could do many things with that formation and group of players.

Maybe even put Nelson on the line as the TE since every announcer calls him a TE. :sick:

Nice point teen :thumbsup:

The only thing that stopped the Bills offense was injuries. All the offense did was pile up points in those first two months.

The talent and execution was excellent that it didn't matter if the defense knew what was coming. They still couldn't stop it. What you saw after the injuries was the lack of execution, downgrade of talent, AND the defense knowing what was coming. That's when things got ugly.

Now, you pair that insta-offense with at least a decent defense so you don't spot 21 points, you've got something. Since we may have far better than a decent defense this year, I think we're going to go places.

On one hand, that was a terrific article explaining the plays the Bills use and why they are successful with each back. Nice work. On the other hand, the article completely misses the real issue. The Bills will very likely be able to run those plays Brooks exhibited with each back in the game. The real key to an explosive offense, and one that defenses will not be able to handle well is how Gailey devises plays and packages where both Jackson and Spiller are in the game. There will surely be two back sets, and there will be a large number of plays when both backs are on the field, and then one or the other splits out, or one or the other goes in motion, and once in awhile when one splits out and the other goes in motion leaving an empty backfield but hopefully a huge mismatch in whomever may be covering one of them. That is where Gailey has the biggest challenge, and the success of Jackson and Spiller playing as a tandem is likely the real key to their individual and team success.

Also, because Gailey will very likely employ the tandem on a large chunk of the team's plays, the need for a #6 WR really goes out the window. With Brad Smith going to play a few plays a game at WR, and with Spiller and/or Jackson going to be split out or in motion on a large number of plays, even when we go four or five wide, we may only have three WR in the game (along with Chandler, and maybe Dickerson if he makes the team). We could even go into the season with 5 WR although it's highly likely to be 6.

The team has a ton of options and a ton of weapons. Gailey has a lot of toys but a huge challenge trying to make it the most difficult to defend, and the most difficult to prepare for. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he will do and how often he uses it. We may even see some wild variation of the Wildcat with Smith at QB and both Spiller and Jackson on the field.

Good article by Brooks but he missed the boat IMO on the crucial element of the Spiller and Jackson predicament, potential and challenge.

On one hand, that was a terrific article explaining the plays the Bills use and why they are successful with each back. Nice work. On the other hand, the article completely misses the real issue. The Bills will very likely be able to run those plays Brooks exhibited with each back in the game. The real key to an explosive offense, and one that defenses will not be able to handle well is how Gailey devises plays and packages where both Jackson and Spiller are in the game. There will surely be two back sets, and there will be a large number of plays when both backs are on the field, and then one or the other splits out, or one or the other goes in motion, and once in awhile when one splits out and the other goes in motion leaving an empty backfield but hopefully a huge mismatch in whomever may be covering one of them. That is where Gailey has the biggest challenge, and the success of Jackson and Spiller playing as a tandem is likely the real key to their individual and team success.

Also, because Gailey will very likely employ the tandem on a large chunk of the team's plays, the need for a #6 WR really goes out the window. With Brad Smith going to play a few plays a game at WR, and with Spiller and/or Jackson going to be split out or in motion on a large number of plays, even when we go four or five wide, we may only have three WR in the game (along with Chandler, and maybe Dickerson if he makes the team). We could even go into the season with 5 WR although it's highly likely to be 6.

The team has a ton of options and a ton of weapons. Gailey has a lot of toys but a huge challenge trying to make it the most difficult to defend, and the most difficult to prepare for. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he will do and how often he uses it. We may even see some wild variation of the Wildcat with Smith at QB and both Spiller and Jackson on the field.

Good article by Brooks but he missed the boat IMO on the crucial element of the Spiller and Jackson predicament, potential and challenge.

I still believe the Bills will sign another WR at the final 53. We Will See

I still believe the Bills will sign another WR at the final 53. We Will See

Chris Brown, in his weekly Fan Friday column today said he thinks the Bills will only keep 5 WR. It's possible they will bring someone new in, they considered Josh Groban, but to me it's really unlikely unless it is a Nick Barnett quality player that has been released in final cuts who is big and fast and proven. To me, Stevie, Nelson, Graham and probably Donald Jones are locks, and Hagan and/or Easley are going to make the team. The new guy would have to be a clear starter to bring in at that point in the game.