Chris Berman sucks

major

Last night a few of us had a good conversation on Shoutbox about Chris Berman. That guy is way past his prime. During the home run derby last night he said BACK BACK BACK BACK GONE every single time a ball was hit. I had to hit mute at times just to enjoy the home runs. He should only be allowed to do the Sunday night NFL wrap up with Tom Jackson. I can't believe ESPN is allowing Berman to do a MNF game this year. I am tired of the old antics of Dick Vitale, Chris Berman, and Lee Corso. Here is a video from last night when a true baseball great schooled Chris Berman on air:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As anything other than an NFL pre-game, post-game or draft show host (where he can rely on people with some actual knowledge to provide content), Berman has always sucked. He's horrible as an announcer -- I was stunned they put him on US Open coverage this year. He's always been terrible as a baseball play by play guy and the home run thing was old the second time he ever did it -- now it's just embarrassing to watch (not that I care enough to watch a HR derby anyway).

Couldn't agree more, major.

Berman has been done, IMO, for quite some time. His act has become old and tired.....including football. I can't watch most of what ESPN puts out.

Give MLBN and NFLN every day of the week over ESPN. They are not perfect, but far better.

BTW, the HR derby has gone the way of the slam dunk contest...IMO. I watched part of it last night (until I couldn't take Berman) just hoping I'd get some enjoyment out of it. I was wrong.

Last night a few of us had a good conversation on Shoutbox about Chris Berman. That guy is way past his prime. During the home run derby last night he said BACK BACK BACK BACK GONE every single time a ball was hit. I had to hit mute at times just to enjoy the home runs. He should only be allowed to do the Sunday night NFL wrap up with Tom Jackson. I can't believe ESPN is allowing Berman to do a MNF game this year. I am tired of the old antics of Dick Vitale, Chris Berman, and Lee Corso. Here is a video from last night when a true baseball great schooled Chris Berman on air:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

OK, let's be honest here. I've been saying that Berman yelling, "back back back gone" during the HR derby sucks since the Clinton Administration. But there's no one I'd rather hear at about 11 AM EST on a Sunday morning in the fall leading a roundtable about the upcoming games. And that video does not show Berman getting "schooled," give me a break, you're smarter than that. So Berman didn't know which direction the stadium opened up toward? Come on. The whole sequence was clearly good natured.

OK, let's be honest here. I've been saying that Berman yelling, "back back back gone" during the HR derby sucks since the Clinton Administration. But there's no one I'd rather hear at about 11 AM EST on a Sunday morning in the fall leading a roundtable about the upcoming games. And that video does not show Berman getting "schooled," give me a break, you're smarter than that. So Berman didn't know which direction the stadium opened up toward? Come on. The whole sequence was clearly good natured.

Exactly.

Just curious, how would the OP like to hear 100+ HR called?

Edited by QCity

Sure, it was good natured. I'm glad he didn't treat Berman the way Berman treats others (watch):

Sure, it was good natured. I'm glad he didn't treat Berman the way Berman treats others (watch): youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

Give it a rest major. That is nothing compared to the way television personalities treat people in public. I have seen some foul **** first hand that makes Bermans rant look like a stern talking too.

Exactly.

Just curious, how would the OP like to hear 100+ HR called?

Resurrect Bob Uecker and have him recite some of his classic one liners from Major League and Major League 2 everytime one is hit out of the park.

Give it a rest major. That is nothing compared to the way television personalities treat people in public. I have seen some foul **** first hand that makes Bermans rant look like a stern talking too.

That's the problem. Most TV personalities treat people like crap. I used to work in TV; therefore, I know what you are referring to.

I wouldn't say that Berman sucks. That's a bit harsh. Too crude to be true. He needs to polish up his schtick, but I like him.

Methinks that if you want a group that really sucks, you should look no further than the abomination that CBS puts on the air every Sunday during football season. "Boomer" the wimp Esiason, Dan crybaby Marino (can this guy let his hatred of the Bills go already?), "The Chin" Cowher, and the worst violator, the mouth from the south, the one who I'm surprised doesn't need a bib for how much he slobbers when he talks...none other than Shannon Sharpe. With most Bills games being on CBS, I turn on FOX or ESPN to AVOID these baffoons. I don't know what James Brown was thinking, but the CBS pregame show has ALWAYS sucked, he's the only class on CBS. But it is horrible with Marino, Esiason, Cowher, and Sharpe. A complete group of unwatchable morons that laugh at each others unfunny jokes.

The ESPN pregame show is my favorite, and I think that Berman, Ditka, and Tom Jackson (LOVE this guy!) rule. Keyshawn is OK, and Cris Carter always annoys me for some reason- he strikes me as arrogant- otherwise they are bang up. Insightful, nice graphics, interviews, etc.

FOX is 2nd to me, and they have a great group (except for the guy expected to fill in for the great James Brown). Howie Long is one cool hombre, IMO, Strahan is engaging and entertaining, Bradshaw is biased but fun, and as much as I hate Jimmy Johnson I respect the man and can listen to his knowledge and experience much more than I can get over my disdain for anything Marino.

My second football broadcasting peeve: why can't any of the networks hire a smokin' hot girl to do reporting? One that's actually watchable? The ones they have now are either too old, too heavy, or just plain boring. And all of the networks are guilty. Lesley Visser? The one on FOX? The old, blonde one on CBS? Suze Kolber is cute and likeable, but cute is not HOT!

Jenn Sterger is smokin', but she reeks of total dirt-bag after the Favre fiasco.

Jillian Reynolds/ Barberie is extremely easy on the eyes...but she seems like she'd get annoying after listening to her talk for too long.

Give me Jenn Sterger without the desperate cry for career grab and I'm sold!